• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tired of riding?

Firenailer

Well here's the thing, I've been doing this since I was a kid and I think I may have finally lost my moto mojo after 45+ years of bikes. Strangest thing, all I've ever wanted to do was ride, tour and live the motorcycle life.

Now that I've retired and riding is available to me whenever I want to go, I seem to have lost the desire and interest. It's nearing the end of the season here in the North East, and after nearly 6000 miles of day trips and tours this season, the last few rides have just kind of been going through the motions. I often find myself thinking I'd rather play golf or go fishing!

Have you ever felt that it might be over? :dunno

For me it has to be a trip to a place for a reason. And usually several reasons.
Maybe you are just going for the sake of going. I have to have somewhat of a 'special purpose' involved.
Maybe you are just taking too many trips. Cut it down to only the ones you really want.
Like going to the supermarket, or shopping. Don't buy just for the sake of buying. Just go with the essentials.
dc

Could be the RT. I had an RT and switched to an R. After riding the R, I realized that the RT, for me, was a bit difficult to ride. Too tall, too heavy, much too top heavy. Maybe a smaller, easier to ride bike will light your riding fires again.

Golf? That"s a good walk spoiled (Mark Twain).

Fishing? Fish wake up way to early for me.

40+ years of riding and it never gets tiring. But over the past five years I have added dirt riding and ice racing to my varieties of riding. More bikes in the garage. There is always some reason or mode to riding for me.

It's nearing the end of the season here in the North East

Take a break, man, if you're not into it you shouldn't be riding anyway.

I put the bike away for 30 years while my kids grew up, started up again in 2003 and haven't yet put it away for the winter. I can deal with 30 degrees, but not 90.

Good advice everyone, and thanks. Maybe its just a phase, I found myself looking at maps and planning routes to Gettysburg, and checking the Blue Ridge Pkwy. brochure for distances and campground stops to continue on a springtime trip down to Asheville...

I think I will park it for awhile though, maybe I just need a break. I do find that the RT doesn't excite me very much, so that might be part of what's going on. While it's a great motorcycle for touring, it just doesn't have a lot of soul.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Day to day I don't ride much, but manage 7-9,000 miles a year on trips, spring in the Smoky's, trip to Rocky's in July, our 8th trip to the Alps a few weeks ago, and long weekend in Vermont.

I hate the summer heat, so most riding spring and Fall. Wife and I will get the bikes out Friday for a day ride. I also am gravitating to smaller and smaller roads, and out of the way places. I really need a GS, as the R11S is not the best choice for dirt, but it tolerates me pushing it there anyway.

What keeps it fun for me, is quality of the riding. I say I LOVE riding, but HATE traveling on a bike. So go ride, just wander around, having a plan and destination can easily turn a ride into travel.

I think these guys have provided some great suggestions. I purchased an Airhead earlier this year and it has opened up a new perspective on riding for me. I enjoy both bikes and having rides with different "personalities" is fun and interesting. Not saying you should buy an Airhead, but perhaps something different than your RT.

I am a map person and I enjoy looking over maps for what may be an interesting trip. It may be near or far, but planning the trips, finding the right routes, etc, gets my riding juices flowing.

Finally, you may indeed need a break. I took twenty years off during the "kid" years. I got back on a few years ago and just love getting on the bike. I will say I did tire of riding for a bit when I was yonger. For a couple of years my bike was my only ride and the luster of riding wore thin when I had to ride...all the time...including lousy conditions. A break may do you good.

Hope you "rebound" and find riding exciting again.

Interest ebbs and flows.

Nothing wrong with being off the bike for a while. It makes it much sweeter when you return.

It takes all of your interest/concentration to ride well. If your mind is elsewhere, you are not at the top of your game.

Good luck with the struggle.:thumb

Bob:

I had a hiatus from bike ownership for a few years, for reasons different than yours. Suggest that if you quit riding, just park the bike and don't sell it right away. If it's still parked after 2 years you can think about selling it.

It's not so expensive then, if you want to get back in.

Last edited:
Most of my miles are put on commuting. These are definitely not the most enjoyable way to log miles on a motorcycle. Last year (2011), for one reason or another, I didn't ride to work much. Then my black 'cycle started having starting issues. Then it got cold. Honestly, I thought I was done. Until this spring. Then I sorted out my electrical issues, so the black RS was back in full swing. Then I sold 2 motorcycles, and picked up a "new" one; a '94 R1100RS.

I'm liking it again. I know people that have in the past logged thousands of miles, then taken a break. No big deal.

I commuted a lot by motorcycle in 2012, which I think "re-hooked" me. Hopefully I'll be able to do some pure "pleasure" trips in 2013. That adds to the addiction, for sure.

Well here's the thing, I've been doing this since I was a kid and I think I may have finally lost my moto mojo after 45+ years of bikes. Strangest thing, all I've ever wanted to do was ride, tour and live the motorcycle life.

Now that I've retired and riding is available to me whenever I want to go, I seem to have lost the desire and interest. It's nearing the end of the season here in the North East, and after nearly 6000 miles of day trips and tours this season, the last few rides have just kind of been going through the motions. I often find myself thinking I'd rather play golf or go fishing!

I have experienced that feeling. In fact, like you, I'm going through it this year.
The answer for me is a little bit of all the replies you have gotten. First, I've already ridden in all the lower 48 three time on three different bikes. So, it seems sometimes that I've already seen everything. So it's a struggle to find new and interesting places to discover for the first time. I'm reading every travel magazine (motorcycle and non-motorcycle) I can find for ideas and I'm working on my trips for next year.

Second, I changed bikes and now find the F800ST is bringing the fun back. The past 8 years I have been on a big bike and had forgotten the fun of lightweight motorcycling. You don't need a big bike to tour, and small bikes are way more fun for me to tour on.

Don't give up yet, try something new and different (mount or route) and see if the joy doesn't return for you. Good luck.

Second, I changed bikes and now find the F800ST is bringing the fun back. The past 8 years I have been on a big bike and had forgotten the fun of lightweight motorcycling.

Today I learned that the F800ST is a small lightweight bike. :stick

Believe it or not everybody is going to reach that point in time if they listen to themselves. We all have to plan on when it's time to hang the helmet up. I do know that it is really dangerous to keep riding if your mind is not into it.

Maybe it is time to move onto something else. Lots of choices out there but one never knows how much time he/she has left.

Interesting and very good points everyone. I'm thinking that I'll winterize it in a few weeks and just put it away for awhile.

I usually try to keep riding throughout the winter season as long as the roads are clear, but I think the time away might be what I need.

Hopefully when spring comes, I'll feel that old fire to go riding again!

Thanks

Bob,

I'm thinkin' ya need a break. Like you I've been on them 45 years, and at the end of the season, [now] I find I don't miss it like i once did. Heck I've been everywhere there is to go, within 300 miles of home. So local riding is less exciting. Then about mid-winter, I get antzy..and by spring I have most my season trips planned & plotted. Something else I discovered a few years back try a total change...I bought a Japanese cruiser...liked it for a while, wound-up coming back to BMW, now have two,,,[again]:whistle.

And I do not buy new, I buy used and farkle-ize?...them as I choose. Play with /ride one for a while, then the other,,it's fun again.

Like you I'm retired, and it's just like Fridays....they lack that ?? that they once had...same as holiday weekends....don't even know when they are anymore.
I honestly think it has to do with aging .

In 2002 I bought a new truck, I still have not put 20,000 on it yet...but have traveled over 100,000 miles on motorcycles since then.

Best of luck, what ever you decide!!

Ron

I don't get tired of riding, but I do think that an RT is pretty sedate. I prefer the RT for everyday commuting and for long trips, but there are lots of times something more along the lines of my R75, a mean streak, or a ducati is a lot more fun and less effort to ride. I like the smoothness and protection of the RT. I sometimes lower the screen all the way, but even that produces a sensation similar to what piloting a heavy submarine with your head sticking out above the water. But something smaller and less enclosed is more fun if you don't mind wind and weather exposure. I always figured that's why GS models are so popular. My father in law is older. He went through 3 low-speed laydowns in a year. He changed to a smaller bike, but never really got back. He spends more time tinkering with and hauling bikes now than riding them.

Back in the year 1987 I bought my first BMW K75T when I was a machinist. I rode and I rode I thought the road would never end. 100,000 miles in 4 years. I then changed careers I then became a high school shop teacher, you think I rode more when I had the summers off. Think again it took me 10 years to put on the next 100,000 miles. It was over, lost my mojo. 2 years ago I started to look again and finally 2 weeks (12 years without a bike) ago I took delivery of the first c650gt in Canada. I hope I pack on the miles again get to a few rallies and meet up with a few old friends.

Back