• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Booster Plug opinions

patricio66

Looking for a little more from my RT and wonder what opinions there are regarding the 'Booster Plug' modification that I have read about.

You are not going to really get any HP gains, what it helps with is to make the bike run better off idle where in my opinion it is too lean. What you get which the literature states is about a 6% fuel enrichment because it spoofs the idle air intake temperature to read 20 degrees less than actual, it uses the existing fuel maps and takes advantage of the stock map adding more fuel at lower temps, I have verified this on a GS911 that the idle air temp is adjusted by 20 degrees.

There is lots of debate on whether this is really worth anything or not.

What I have found works well is to combine this with a Uni Filter and a free flowing slip on. I like the REMUS without the inserts. The bike is still quiet, but you get much improved throttle response, which for me makes a big difference to me and my riding style.

You can get a few ponies by pulling the stock header/cat and putting a free flow unit on it, and by adding a Dobec Performance fuel modifier, but let's face it this is just not a fast bike. I think for ride-ability the improved throttle response from just a slip on and the air filter change is all that is needed.

For me it is not so much about horsepower but about the bottom end. I ride two-up most of the time and would like a little more pulling power down low.
Just curious about options, cost and such. Thanks for the info.

I've the Accelerator module which does the same thing the Booster plug does. My experience with it on my '05 GS is that I get no extra power (didn't expect any) but can run the bike smoothly at least 700 RPM less than I could without the device installed. This is a good thing when using the GS at low RPM in the dirt.

I had the Accelerator Module on my GS, plus a K&N air filter, plus iridium plugs, but OEM can, and it made for a more linear pull right from idle to around 4000 rpms. Between 2,500 and 4000 was the real improvement, with better and more regular torque with less throttle opening. Nothing spectacular, mind you, but really noticeable. Nice. I am considering the Booster Plug for my new RT.

I've the Accelerator module which does the same thing the Booster plug does. My experience with it on my '05 GS is that I get no extra power (didn't expect any) but can run the bike smoothly at least 700 RPM less than I could without the device installed. This is a good thing when using the GS at low RPM in the dirt.

Marc,

What's the difference between the "compact" and "extended" versions?

What's the difference between the "compact" and "extended" versions?

Location of the air temperature sensor. The extended version puts the sensor on a moveable lead that you can place where you like. It more closely matches the booster plug.

Now for a little secret... a few folks have actually tested temperatures and found that when the bike is moving it doesn't make a bit of difference where you put the sensor. There are some hot spots when the bike is idle. Paying extra for a moveable sensor and then taking the extra hassle to route it to the perfect spot has next to zero added benefit in real life.

My install of the compact version: http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/2010/0702-accelerator/

In the many years in which I have wasted money buying aftermarket things for my bikes--most of which don't work; the Booster Plug stands as one of the very few things that actually improves the OEM scheme of a bike--and a BMW at that!

The other one thing I remember that improved a bike was the Traxxion suspension system for my ex-Goldwing. With arrival of the 16 inline BM, I can't imagine why anyone would ever buy a Goldwing again.

I can verify what some have said but can add a little. I have a R1200ST and added a full system Laser exhaust, free flow air filter and a FRK module and cam sprockets that changes the cam timing. On the dyno I gained 8hp and 10 ft torque between 3500 and 5500 rpm with increases off idle to 6500 and no increase at redline. These changes make a real nice motor for two up and sport riding it flat hauls.

With the cost of the exhaust, FRK, sprockets would probably add up to about $1000.00. There was no labor costs as I did the work myself with help from a friend on the sprockets.
To me it was not the HP but the increase in torque thru the rpm range that made the bike easier to ride 2 up and more fun in sport mode. The exhaust I bought on craigslist for about half of what retail would have been so that saved quite a bit. The increase in torque was mostly from the cam sprockets. I am pleased with the result.

how much did those 8 horse powers cost you?

If all your concerned about is how much your modification costs then leave the bike stock. For me, I like to tinker and tweak and cant leave a bike stock. Some guys spend hundreds or thousands on electronics, gagets, lights and all other kinds of stuff. For me I would rather keep it simple and spend my money on suspension and performance. To each their own

I understand the booster plug tricks the bike into thinking it is 20 degrees colder than it is. What if it is really that cold? In other words, if I ride around in 20 degree weather, is the way the bike behaves then the same as it would at 40 degrees with the booster plug, or are there other differences? I don't feel my engine behaving 'sweeter' when I ride on a winter day. Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

I was thinking that if I was going to ride in 20deg weather I would be thinking about a blood-flood booster mechanism instead; but good question.

I used to have a bunch of guys on the Goldwing forum that rode in the snow-country of Alaska--their pics beared icecycle wiskers, and cross-country mudd tires on the front for grip, snow car tires on the rear...hearty fellers!

These air temp spoofers generally tell the motronic it's 20 degrees colder than it really is so extra fuel will be added. I'm sure there's a low temp in the maps where the motronic will stop adding fuel.

I have had mine in for 3 months. This year has been different from most here in NH. First I am off a wing and it has taken me a bit to get used to the dry clutch. The Booster plug has helped me greatly with clutch engagement. It is probably just me but perhaps the $$$ is the reason I can start off better. Who knows. Would I do it again YES. I get concerned with non stock mufflers and the current NH seacoast irritibalities concerning noise there. But I do ride there so I respect the concerns.

Perhaps the Uni filter is in the future. I do enjoy the low end grunt much like my small fleet of diesels.

There's a thread on BP over in Oilheads. I've got one. Well made. Does exactly what they claim. Adds 6% to Open Loop fueling by shifting the temp. Here are some measurements I made: BoosterPlug.

The BP doesn't affect Closed Loop where our bikes spend almost half their time. I used it in combo with an LC-1 to richen Closed Loop by 4-6%.

I have one on my R1200R and love it. Works as advertised.

Here is a pic of my cell phone that is communicating with my GS911. The bike is sitting in a heated garage at 64 degrees.

airtempgs911.JPG

Don't need booster plugs. If I want more scat I just downshift and roll on the throttle. From 5000 to 8000 rpm there's enough for me.

Back