• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The state of Rhode Island

Roy.Jackson55@aol.com

You stupid, fix it!
QUICK FACTS: Rhode Island

Capital
Providence
Total Area
1,212 sq mi
3,140 sq km
Population
1,048,319 (2000 census)
Major Cities
Providence (152,558), Warwick (84,514), Cranston (74,324), Pawtucket (69,068), East Providence (48,389) (July 1996 est.)
Highest Point
Jerimoth Hill
812 feet
247 meters
Income per capita (US$)
$29,377
Industry
fishing, jewelry and silverware, fabricated metal products, electrical equipment, machinery, shipbuilding, tourism
Agriculture
greenhouse and nursery products, dairy products, eggs
Natural Resources
construction sand and gravel, crushed stone
(U.S. Government sources)

Attachments

• rhodeisl.gif
    rhodeisl.gif
    85.1 KB · Views: 328
Looks like a great place to live, especially in the summertime. But the Astors knew that.

Last edited:
Rhode Island Harbors the Best

Largest industry is now healthcare followed by tourism/hospitality. That's sad.

Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle. Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.

What's not to like?

Rhode Island is one of my favorite states. My best friends live there, so I visit as often as I can make it east. As small as it is, there are some nice back roads in the western part. Plus the beaches. And Providence is great. If you live close to the coast you can ride year round. Now, if it was just a little closer to Wyoming...

Rhode Island is one of my favorite states. My best friends live there, so I visit as often as I can make it east. As small as it is, there are some nice back roads in the western part. Plus the beaches. And Providence is great. If you live close to the coast you can ride year round. Now, if it was just a little closer to Wyoming...

?? I live on the coast. 12" of snow yesterday. High of 25 today with teens tonight and feel like 0 with wind. 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow and a high of 30. Sounds more like Wyoming to me :laugh Wheres that global warming when you need it. On the plus side, we start getting more sun starting tomorrow I believe.

?? I live on the coast. 12" of snow yesterday. High of 25 today with teens tonight and feel like 0 with wind. 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow and a high of 30. Sounds more like Wyoming to me :laugh Wheres that global warming when you need it. On the plus side, we start getting more sun starting tomorrow I believe.

12 inches of snow in Rhode Island? Who would have thought that? But I bet it melts in a week or so and does not stay around hiding in the shadows until the month of May.

I lived in the poorer section outside Watch Hill. Many a winter morning I would bravely set off on my R100RT for my commute to Groton on roads that were just a bit icy but hit snow by the time I got to Westerly. Tiverton isn't on the coast - that's way inland. No wonder you have so much snow. :bolt

Navy sent me to Newport a couple of times. Beautiful place. Have since been back for an open house at Twisted Throttle. Rhode Island does not get that much nasty snow in the winter or heat in the summer.

What's not to like?

Standing watch along the seaplane ramps at Quonsett point in mid-January with a 40 knot wind wipping in from across the bay. :usa
Summers were wonderful. :drink

The nicest thing about RI is summers on at Misquamicut State Beach, drinking a COLD beer. I remember the waves can be big after a storm. Body surfing was fun. I also remember getting scraped up pretty good in those waves.

Tiverton is inland. :scratch

Rhode Island Rocks!

Here in Bristol we have an industrial park with the following:

One of the world's finest high end yacht builders (Americas Cup stuff)
One of the world's finest mast builders (Americas Cup stuff)
One of the builders of the world's fastest powerboats
All sorts of support companies for high end marine stuff.

Lil Rhody is also home to the largest concentration of the best sailors in the U.S. if not the world and we're home to U.S. Sailing the governing body of the sport.

Also in RI we have NUSC where things like torpedos are developed. Quonset hut and the PT boat? Yup, born and bread here in RI.

We got your Quahogs and stuffies too.

And one of the best things about Rhode Island?

We are not Mass*oles!

My daughter is a freshman at Salve Regina University in Newport. We love visiting and have really gotten to enjoy the area. Mrs T is already talking of taking a ride up there when things warm up a bit.

We usually stay at the Comfort Inn in Middletown. $66/night with the IBM corporate rate and it's 5 minutes from the center of Newport (and the SRU campus). One of our favorite restaurants is the Clarke Cooke House on Bannisters Wharf.

Back