• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Complete Restoration of BMW R75/5 into Cafe Racer

Waiting for Coating

We are just waiting around to get the stuff back from liquid coaters. Sorry I don't have more to share right now.

Thanks,
Shane

Hucky's

Talked with Hans a very nice German gentleman at Hucky's Spare Parts and Repair,

www.bmwhucky.com

Ordered the below items for the build:

51 14 1 231 087 - frame ID plate for R75/5

46 52 1 230 210 - Center Stand Bushing - we need 2 (QUANTITY 2)

31 42 2 000 312 - Chrome steering cap

31 42 1 234 509 - Dust cap for the steering bearing

Thanks,
Shane

Too bad it is no longer available, but possibly with some experiminting we can come with an acceptable alternative!

Ken

Duplicolor Engine Enamel. DE1615 "Aluminum" :thumb

Just did my Honda CL175 motor case and cylinder head with that. Very, very nice.

I tried hand-rubbing it on, but I liked it better sprayed. When I do my R60/5 hubs and case, I'll try rubbing it. The BMW casting is quite different than the Honda -- the casting quality of the aluminum on the Honda parts is remarkably poor. Once you really strip off the clearcoat, you can see what kind of work post-war Japan was putting out. It was not good, frankly. People of a certain age will remember that, in the 60's and early 70's the term, "Made in Japan" was a perjorative regarding quality.

Polishing Quote

Good morning, so many guys asked me about the source and the cost of polishing some of the pieces for the bike, here is a quote we received. They will polish the metal and they will also put a coat of Clear Finish on the parts once they are done so that they stay nice and polished, much less maintenance this way.

The Polishing Shop
Xtreme Performance Heat Coatings
(805) 981-3888

The following is a break down of your polishing and ceramic clear.

(2) Heads, fins and edges polish, clear $250.00 for the pair
(2) Timing Covers, polish and clear $125.00 for the pair
(2) Cylinders, fins and edges polish, clear $300.00 for the pair
(2) Exhaust nuts, polish and clear $35.00 each
(3) Valve covers, polish and clear $100.00 each
(2) Oil Pan, polish and clear $75.00 each

And yes it is expensive but will really make the difference I think, Josh swears by the polishing, but as with anything, prices have gone up since his bike 3-4 years ago.

Hope this helps anyone looking,
Thanks,
Shane

Thanks!

Shane,

What's your secret? Red Bull? Plenty of espresso????

I KNOW how much energy it takes to keep a DETAILED and HELPFUL thread alive like this. . .and MUCHAS GRACIAS!

Anticipation. . .Hey, I can't wait to see all this "jewelry" all together in one place, and ohmygod MOVING down the road. How cool is that gonna be? This one is "magazine worthy. . ." Any editors of Motorcycle Classics out there?

Small dig: ON might not be interested, since this isn't a GS going around the world. (Sorry -- had to do it.)

Looking at your pictures and catching up on the project is a great way to start the day, especially right before a ride. Eighty-five and full sun in the high desert today. Seventy and full sun in the mountains. . .Oh, yeah.

Walking Eagle

Thanks!

Shane,

What's your secret? Red Bull? Plenty of espresso????

I KNOW how much energy it takes to keep a DETAILED and HELPFUL thread alive like this. . .and MUCHAS GRACIAS!

Anticipation. . .Hey, I can't wait to see all this "jewelry" all together in one place, and ohmygod MOVING down the road. How cool is that gonna be? This one is "magazine worthy. . ." Any editors of Motorcycle Classics out there?

Small dig: ON might not be interested, since this isn't a GS going around the world. (Sorry -- had to do it.)

Looking at your pictures and catching up on the project is a great way to start the day, especially right before a ride. Eighty-five and full sun in the high desert today. Seventy and full sun in the mountains. . .Oh, yeah.

Walking Eagle

Dear Walking Eagle, thanks for all the kind words, it really means alot to me. No Expresso or Red Bull, I would like to think it is just passion to bring something back to the road in a grandiose way. My Porsche project was not even done and I was on the search fo the next project, I really love the hunt and love the process of restoring, all the decisions, the little bits that make the vehicle your own. My Porsche made it into 4 Car Magazine and a dozen online articles and I am hopeful for this bike as well. I just love the entire German thing, air cooled thing and opposing boxer cylinder setup and maybe because I am mostly German, the Porsche and now the BMW have been labors of love. The thread for the Porsche at the 356 Registry site became very voluminous and many followers but I find even more of a following here at the BMW Owner's site and I appreciate all of the interest, input and insight I am receiving. So thanks to everyone for taking the time to follow my antics and I hopefully will do you all proud. I know a Cafe (no stock) bike is not everyones cup of tea, but it is definately mine, as the Porsche was also an Outlaw. It is in my nature. Have a great Sunday everyone and I will continue to share as we proceed. As with the Porsche, I had never sat in ome or driven a Porshe before my car was complete, I have never driven a BMW and presently do not have a motorcycle lincense so both builds take on a special "anticipation" that is hard to find and I like it that way. Crazy to take on a build like this and never drive a late model BMW, I think not, I would like to think it is as having faith in the marquee. The Porsche did not let me down, in fact I enjoy that car more than I ever dreamed and I truly believe the BMW will do the same for me.

Sincerely,
Shane

Polishing Class 101

Josh did some polishing on his bike back when he did his bike and the prices were half as much as the new quotes. He is the kind of guy that does not spend money on things he can do himself, so with the higher prices bothering him, even though it is my money in the end, he spent some time yesterday starting to do some of the parts himself and the resulting 3 pictures show his progress. Amazing what a little elbow grease can do to a 40 year old part. Very cool. Thanks Josh for taking the time and showing the guys visiting the thread that it can be done without paying a polishing shop. He even took the time to do a little write-up at Beemers and Bits, click below:

http://beemersandbits.com/2012/03/parts-polishing/

Sincerely,
Shane

Attachments

• beforeAfterP1010485.jpg
    beforeAfterP1010485.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 179
It takes a special kind of passion that few have to do the projects you have undertaken.
When I read what you said about never having been in a Porsche and not having ridden a BMW and you still undertake these projects.

All i can say is a tip of the hat to you:thumb

I consider myself lucky to be able to keep my air head on the road at this point. Trying to learn as much as i can from the folks here, and over on ADV is my daily goal.

In the past I owned a couple of Porsche's and the 356's are by far my favorite of the mark. They were certainly not concour's babies and my motorbike will never win any prizes. But I subscribe to the theory that they are made to be driven/ridden and that's the way I like them.

Keep posting your progress, can't wait to see the finished product.
Doug

Shane, you'll need to keep an eye on the two lower fork caps; they are cadmium plated steel. The cad plating was not very thick and even buffing will destroy it.

The result is that the parts rust quite easily. You may want to apply a clear coat.

This applies to all the steel parts that were not chromed; most fasteners, fork stem nut, foot pegs, band clamps, brake rod, axles, axle nuts, etc.

Thanks

It takes a special kind of passion that few have to do the projects you have undertaken.
When I read what you said about never having been in a Porsche and not having ridden a BMW and you still undertake these projects.

All i can say is a tip of the hat to you:thumb

I consider myself lucky to be able to keep my air head on the road at this point. Trying to learn as much as i can from the folks here, and over on ADV is my daily goal.

In the past I owned a couple of Porsche's and the 356's are by far my favorite of the mark. They were certainly not concour's babies and my motorbike will never win any prizes. But I subscribe to the theory that they are made to be driven/ridden and that's the way I like them.

Keep posting your progress, can't wait to see the finished product.
Doug

Thanks Doug, I agree with you abou driving them, there is a famous story about Ferry Porsche:

Quotes from Ferry Porsche:
Once, apparently, when shown a gleaming series of restored 911s, Ferry Porsche remarked that it made him quite sad. "Our cars are meant to be driven," he said, "not polished." His other famous quote is "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams so I built it myself."

That is the first impression that people have of my car is "you drive that on the road", thinking it is a trailer queen or something, I may have restored it to showroom quality for my own reasons, but for God's sake I am going to drive the car. It is not a piece of art, it is a automobile that was designed and built to be driven, people are always amazed that I drive it back and forth to work, even take the kids to school in it on those special occassions. I have said it before and I will say it again, having a car or bike like this and not driving it is like have a super model for a wife and not sleeping with her, what is the point? Sure you get to see here naked every once in a while getting out of the shower, but not to experience the car, bike or woman would be a shame indeed. Hopefully this is not getting me in trouble with too many of the female members, but it is a truth from a guys perspective, that is all. When my kids inherit the car and the bike at some point, and if they have some scratches, wear and tear and even a dent or two, at least they can smile and say "Dad put those there!".

Thanks guys for all the support, you are the best.

Sincerely,
Shane

Noted

Shane, you'll need to keep an eye on the two lower fork caps; they are cadmium plated steel. The cad plating was not very thick and even buffing will destroy it.

The result is that the parts rust quite easily. You may want to apply a clear coat.

This applies to all the steel parts that were not chromed; most fasteners, fork stem nut, foot pegs, band clamps, brake rod, axles, axle nuts, etc.

Thanks Lew, well noted my friend. Josh is aware and he wants this bike to be as little maintenance as possible for me at least cosmetically. Have a great afternoon.

Sincerely,
Shane

Valve Covers

Below you will find a picture of my valve covers, remember I initially bought 2 bikes so I have two sets, one set is OK and the other is downright terrible. I am going to order some new valve covers from Hucky's, they are $75 a piece. Josh is going to take the best valve cover we have and make it as a spare with the polishing, so in case I ding one up I will have a spare that is in good condition. We try to use all the original parts, but when something is cosmetically bad, we will usually replace it.

Thanks,
Shane

This is the best of the 2 pairs.

Attachments

• 03-26-12_4 Valve Covers.jpg
    03-26-12_4 Valve Covers.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 147
Bad Set

Perfect for some sort of Rat Rod Bike! :) Maybe I could clean them up, turn them upside down and put chips on one side and salsa on the other for entertaining guests? Appears to be the prefect shape for this application.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• 03-26-12_5 Our Bad Valve Covers.jpg
    03-26-12_5 Our Bad Valve Covers.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 147
Davida Helmet, Goggles and Mask

Nice surprise, my helmet arrived all the way from the U.K.

At least I will look the part, ha ha.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• Davida Helmet and Goggles.JPG
    Davida Helmet and Goggles.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 141
More Importantly

More importantly, here is the back of my new Davida helmet, hopefully make you guys and gals proud.

Thanks,
Shane

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 138
Nice surprise, my helmet arrived all the way from the U.K.

At least I will look the part, ha ha.

Thanks,
Shane

Love the helmet picture, as it started to make me laugh, as it reminded me so much of Snoopy on the Peanuts cartoon character when he would sit on his top of his doug house and in his imagination would be flying to avenge the terror of the Red Baron.

Thanks Shane, needed the grin!

Maybe I could clean them up, turn them upside down and put chips on one side and salsa on the other for entertaining guests? Appears to be the prefect shape for this application.

Great idea! Now I'm thinking about presenting my wife a quiche for two...
Russ

Back