• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Out of state dealers: share your experience

Bobonli

I am beginning my search for a BMW motorcycle. I still have a lot of research to do but one issue keeps popping up, so I might as well address it first. Is there any major disadvantage in purchasing from an out of state authorized dealer?

For example, I live on Long Island, NY. There's a local dealer with limited stock, doesn't dp the test rides, and relatively (I'm told) short history as a dealer. There's BMW NYC which people either love or hate it seems. I've been up to Max BMW in Conn. Delightful people, large inventory, giant service area.

Is there any reason not to go out of state if that's where the best bargain and customer service is? Brining the bike in for service might be a pain, but I could have it serviced locally I suppose or have it picked up.

Just to be clear, by "out of state" I mean CT, NJ.. a comfortable 2-2.5 drive/ride. I don't want to ride a new vehicle home for 5 hours.

I'd appreciate any insight you can share. Thanks in advance.
Bob

I recently purchased a 2010 1200 Adventure from MAX BMW in New Hampshire. My local dealer was extremely RUDE the couple times I've been in his shop ... I decided I would not spend dime one there. I found the best deal from MAX, made the purchase and flew from Pittsburgh to get the bike. I am trying to find the best dealer for service work now, still won't use the local dealer will take bike to MD or OH. I plan to do all my own work anyway except for synching throttle bodies and resetting the service light. Your warranty is through BMW not the specific dealer.

Good luck to you.

What research ? ask your local dealer for a price - call or email around, alot quicker.
It's your $$$ until it leaves your hands. Save more by a private sale - Craig's list or a friends bike.

Buy from MAX ! I am totally impressed by their professionalism and attention to detail. I live in NY and bought my RT from MAX in CT because they were the closest (42 miles vs. 121 to Troy). MAX will let you ride anything they have in stock no pressure. Just make sure to bring an insurance card, CT law, you must have liability insurance on something you own or they can't send you out on a test ride.

Buy from MAX ! I am totally impressed by their professionalism and attention to detail. I live in NY and bought my RT from MAX in CT because they were the closest (42 miles vs. 121 to Troy). MAX will let you ride anything they have in stock no pressure. Just make sure to bring an insurance card, CT law, you must have liability insurance on something you own or they can't send you out on a test ride.

I'm about 2 hours from their CT shop. Do you take/send your bike back to them or have it serviced locally?

Thanks for the feedback.

MAX does free pickup and delivery within 100 miles. Go there and decide for yourself if it is the right place for you!

50 cents a mile now. At least that's what I was quoted.

I think that's correct. When I was there in June, I recall the sign and thinking that a round trip service pick-up and drop off would add about $75 to the bill. Unless they waive the fee for people who buy the bike from them, but I didn't see anything about that.

I bought my bike there and was quoted the 50 cents per mile. In my case round trip would be 42 bucks a bargain if I had to leave the bike for any reason.

+1 for Max, Ct. Bought my 11 RT there. Told me it was .50 cents a mile for pick up service too. They like turn around to be atleast a week too. I'm sure other arrangement's can be made if you talk to them about it.

Back