• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Last week I went on a 'bacon run' to the Corralitos Market. Today I got to enjoy it. Honey cured bacon and fresh eggs from our neighbor's hens down the road.
2045827558_f4b4720759_b.jpg

Dude, tell me you made gravy with that grease. Geez that looks good. I had chorizo and eggs at the Mojave airport this morning, but there's nothing like good, thick-sliced bacon.

Burnzilla makes bacon and doesn't invite anyone else?

What's up with that?

One man's trash....

Riding down state line road (the border between Kansas and Missouri) I spied some lattice work and scrap lumner some nimrod had thrown out beside the road. Nothing was square to the world so it was hard to get the lines right. Apparently he like Missouri better than Kansas because he threw it on the Kansas side of the road.

223027201-L.jpg

And, of course, this is the safest image and the most technically sound, but it's just plain boring.

Hidden Triangle!

Sometimes it's the triangle you don't notice at first - two tires and a sidestand - a most wonderful triangle!

When I took this shot I saw three obvious triangles. Later the 4th jumped out at me.

Voni
sMiling

I found 14 triangles in the picture. Count the triangles in the landscape and within the tepees. And, I bet I missed a couple.

Nice composition.

There has to be a triangle in there someplace.

1117MaxThanks011c.jpg

After seeing all the creative triangle shots I went back to the Thanksgiving dinner given by Max BMW Motorcycles. There had to be a triangle in there someplace. Finally found one - the Eternal Triangle.

No need for any commentary or evaluation here - just a casual snapshot.

When I look back at many shots from all over the world it is always the pictures with people in them that are my favorites.

When I look back at many shots from all over the world it is always the pictures with people in them that are my favorites.

I was thinking the same thing
and then wondered why the majority of the pictures I've sent to this thread
have been things and NOT people.

Voni

sMiling

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing
and then wondered why the majority of the pictures I've sent to this thread
been things and NOT people.

Voni

sMiling

People often add a challenging dynamic to photography. Objects can be controlled while you take as much time as you like to set up the shot, people rarely preserve the moment for you. I love portraits nearly as much for the artistic composition as for the psychology behind them.

Thanks for the idea… Whatever the assignment this week, I’ll try to find it in a portrait.

-Alex

People often add a challenging dynamic to photography. Objects can be controlled while you take as much time as you like to set up the shot, people rarely preserve the moment for you. I love portraits nearly as much for the artistic composition as for the psychology behind them.

Thanks for the idea Whatever the assignment this week, Ill try to find it in a portrait.

-Alex

Oh, I don't know, I found the person in my first submittal to be very co-operative!:)

On a more serious note, people do indeed add an element of interest in a photo, it gives us something to identify with, it was for that reason I included the second shot of the Museum in my second entry, I felt that photo told a story rather than being just a photograph of a structure, we can identify with the people visiting the museum but can't really do that with a building. The Human element is often the most important and most challenging.

RM

Nice interpretation, Roy. Hard to say which is better--both perspectives have merit.
Thank you. I really need to use my tripod, half were blurry. I was playing with the A/S/M mode on the camera and using available light. I didn't like any of the flash pictures. I didn't like any of the color pictures either.

Check out our own Rapid-Roy's "Wide Open" submission as this week's picture of the week. Congratulations!

I never would have done it without these contest threads.
Everyone's pictures are very inspiring, those and the critiques are my muse. That was another lucky photo as I had no tripod (I was using a stick) and most turned out blurry, again using available light.

I never would have done it without these contest threads.
Everyone's pictures are very inspiring, those and the critiques are my muse. That was another lucky photo as I had no tripod (I was using a stick) and most turned out blurry, again using available light.

Roy,

Are you using a DSLR (interchangeable lenses)?

Do you play with increasing the ISO setting?

Thanks for the idea Whatever the assignment this week, Ill try to find it in a portrait.

-Alex

Fantastic Idea - Will try to do the same. There should be lots of material given the Holiday.

Fantastic Idea - Will try to do the same. There should be lots of material given the Holiday.

Thanks, Paul. Kudos to Voni for pointing it out

I wonder if Tom will make an exception for the holiday to extend the weekend assignment to include Thursday. We would need the subject by Wednesday, of course. :D

What do you think, Tom? :wave

Thanks, Paul. Kudos to Voni for pointing it out

I wonder if Tom will make an exception for the holiday to extend the weekend assignment to include Thursday. We would need the subject by Wednesday, of course. :D

What do you think, Tom? :wave

It is as though you were reading my mind. . . .

Ditto on the portrait idea. Anyone smell a theme brewing?

:dance

Back