• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Management, engineers, designers

KBasa said:
When it comes to the height of their bikes, you're right. However, when it comes to riding gear, they offer a wider array of gear that's suitable for women than anyone else.

Perhaps you missed their campaign with the R11S a couple years ago. The rider, a woman, utters one of the most famous taglines of BMWdom: "I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one."

Also, for the F650CS, they had: "I got my first accessory on my bike. I think his name is Mike."

On the pictures they used to circulate of the track day at Loudon, they had one that was a series of R11Ss flying in close formation. Judy Mirro was riding the lead bike, though it's hard to tell.

Some of their bikes are tall for everyone. That's just the way it is when the cornering competes with the parking. As for suits, they have the Light and Easy and the Belice which are cut like women...not just for womens' stature. They also come in petite sizes. There are at least a half dozen other suits, while straight up and down in shape are sized for a smaller stature. All off the rack. My wife just bought a 650 low which she can flat foot. She rides K1200S ordinarily and is 5'3". One thing we miss is BMW does not make boots with a high sole which would help her S riding. Harley does though they are not waterproof.
You might want to pick on Aerostich for not recognizing smaller stature women riders. Viki has a Darien and a Road Crafter jacket which has to be folded over at the waist about 4 inches to be comfortable on the bike. I know they make alterations, and that would be an option, but I guess you are stuck with it after it's altered. She mostly rides with a Light and Easy suit and a Tourgard suit in the winter. While BMW does not feature women riding GSes in every ad or brochure they produce, I think they are far and away one of the better companies in this favorable direction.

I was out for a ride today with some folks from the Adventure Rider's forum.

A GS owner gave my new R12Adventure a close look at said:

"It looks like the engineers at BMW took at look at the most popular modifications we make and incorporated them into one hell of a bike."

I think both the 1150 and GS Adventure are the product of BMW paying attention to our market.

I am also willing to be the K12GT (especially the first gen.) was in response to the perception that the first mod K12RS owners were doing were aimed towared improving wind protection.

Best,

Rob Nye

judy here... on women and advertising

Dave - you were right. That was me in the 2001 BMW campaigne at Loudon. I traded back and forth from lead rider to second rider. We did that for most of the day. I also posed in riding gear for the catalog pictures. At 5'-3/4" and a 28" inseam the only way you can tell it is me - note the head not coming up high above the windscreen. I am still seen in many of the ads in the ON. Local shops still like the pics. You can tell by the snow in the background. I think we can still do a lot more and I will probably try again to hook up with BMW very soon to do some more serious Ad work - since I am short, a chic, and all the other stuff I do. We'll see.

We can't stop now! : ) Always more to do. As a matter of fact there are gears turning that you just don't see. More on that later. Happy riding folks! &: ) Judy

robnye said:
I am also willing to be the K12GT (especially the first gen.) was in response to the perception that the first mod K12RS owners were doing were aimed towared improving wind protection.

Absolutely...don't forget dropped the stupid exhaust pipe -> bigger right bag, better seat, more power :)

Back