• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Management, engineers, designers

R

raven

With all the hard-bitten, BMW owners/riders headed to Essex Junction to rally, ride and do whatever, does BMW Management send it's designers and engineers to the rally? It would seem a wonderful place and time for the these folks to see how thier designs meet or fail to meet the needs of riders.

raven said:
With all the hard-bitten, BMW owners/riders headed to Essex Junction to rally, ride and do whatever, does BMW Management send it's designers and engineers to the rally? It would seem a wonderful place and time for the these folks to see how thier designs meet or fail to meet the needs of riders.

Maybe it is hard to admit failure? :dunno

raven said:

They would have to care what we think first, I don't think the end user is their first priority. As the 10% female minority I know they don't care what I think.

Ef zee kustomerz do NOT like our productz, zen it iss ze kustomerz who are defectif! - BMW Korporate

SheRidesABeemer said:
They would have to care what we think first, I don't think the end user is their first priority. As the 10% female minority I know they don't care what I think.

If that is the attitude they are going to receive why bother. I tend to avoid places where I know I will get a hostile reception, why should the people from New Jersey be any different?

I suppose if they really didn't care about you 10%ers then all their riding apparel would not be offered in women's sizes. I guess the lowering kits offered for their bikes are just for short men too.

We are dicussing BMW's expanded involvement in this year's rally including seminars and Q&A sessions. BMW is also making it possible for us to offer the grand prize winner their choice of new bikes.

Bottom line is we are inviting and encouraging BMW to take advantage of the proximity of the rally to their HQ and they are responding favorably.

Best,

Rob Nye said:
If that is the attitude they are going to receive why bother. I tend to avoid places where I know I will get a hostile reception, why should the people from New Jersey be any different?

I suppose if they really didn't care about you 10%ers then all their riding apparel would not be offered in women's sizes. I guess the lowering kits offered for their bikes are just for short men too.

We are dicussing BMW's expanded involvement in this year's rally including seminars and Q&A sessions. BMW is also making it possible for us to offer the grand prize winner their choice of new bikes.

Bottom line is we are inviting and encouraging BMW to take advantage of the proximity of the rally to their HQ and they are responding favorably.

Best,

You make good points as usual Rob. I'm not very knowledgeable about BMW's after market efforts in the area of making things smaller for the average sized women rider (as that has never been an issue for me) My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers . I long for the day when women riders are treated as riders and not objects de art. There is no effort on their part to market to women. They have no stock offerings that are appropriate for people of smaller stature. It's not their market. :dunno

SheRidesABeemer said:
My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers .

The male models look like no one I've ever seen riding a bmw also.

you know what sexist thing irks me, baby changing stations located only in womens rest rooms. Am I the only dad that takes his kids out to eat, and then has to change a diaper???

Reason

Girls will buy a "guy" vehicle. Guys won't buy a "chick" vehicle. Why VW was so stupid to put the bud vase in the new beetle and wait years to bring out a hot one.

SheRidesABeemer said:
You make good points as usual Rob. I'm not very knowledgeable about BMW's after market efforts in the area of making things smaller for the average sized women rider (as that has never been an issue for me) My beef with BMW and women is the continued sexist advertising that I see. The women are always beautifully groomed passengers . I long for the day when women riders are treated as riders and not objects de art. There is no effort on their part to market to women. They have no stock offerings that are appropriate for people of smaller stature. It's not their market. :dunno

When it comes to the height of their bikes, you're right. However, when it comes to riding gear, they offer a wider array of gear that's suitable for women than anyone else.

Perhaps you missed their campaign with the R11S a couple years ago. The rider, a woman, utters one of the most famous taglines of BMWdom: "I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one."

Also, for the F650CS, they had: "I got my first accessory on my bike. I think his name is Mike."

On the pictures they used to circulate of the track day at Loudon, they had one that was a series of R11Ss flying in close formation. Judy Mirro was riding the lead bike, though it's hard to tell.

It is interesting as working for a manufacturer in a different industry (although we are a supplier to BMW Automotive as well as Harley) we have just now started taking our engineers to tradeshows. It has been a boon for us.

The customers like talking with the factory people. The engineers get outside of their cube and get to interact with customers and get responses. Also many of the engineers often say, "we never thought about ..." so for them to get direct unfiltered feedback is a good thing. I know of at least five changes we have made in the past three months just from these meetings.

I think that the BMW team should be willing to talk with their customers to help improve their products, it will help breakdown the barriers between corporate and customers.

Now in terms of taking lumps... I have done my share of that. It is part of the deal.

I always thought BMW motorcycles should be sold without seats and windshieds. Most of us replace one or both soon after buying a bike! 8>O

Riding Like the Wind (on a Rick Mayer saddle)...

CHASMAN #12106
Black '02 K12RS
Knights of the Roundel #333
NRA Life Member

Engineers At Rally

I'd like to see the engineers from BMW Germany at the rally. Two years ago I went to Americade and did a fair number of demo rides there. At the Kawasaki area, there were three R&D engineers from Japan talking to riders after their demo rides. One of them spent 30 mins asking me what I'd like to see in the next generation Concours. He seemed genuinely interested and took lots of notes. He sometimes needed a little help with English from one of his colleagues, but he was quite keen to hear what I had to say and asked me lots of questions. I was quite impressed. Can't see why BMW can't do that. I don't see a whole lot of point in talking to BMW US (unless it's about service/warranty and the like), when the ones who take the decisions are in Germany.

chasman said:
I always thought BMW motorcycles should be sold without seats and windshieds. Most of us replace one or both soon after buying a bike! 8>O

Riding Like the Wind (on a Rick Mayer saddle)...

CHASMAN #12106
Black '02 K12RS
Knights of the Roundel #333
NRA Life Member

Almost every review of a BMW bike comments on the seat. Do they make them uncomfortable on purpose or are Germans rears built differently? One could draw many different conclusions from failure of BMW to address this issue.

I have a Russell on Lucy and it is very comfortable. When I bought the bike, the PO gave me the stock seat which is now 13 years old and still new.

Perhaps BMW has interest in the after market seat and windshield companies? (insert tongue in cheek emoticon here)

marcopolo said:
I'd like to see the engineers from BMW Germany at the rally...... I don't see a whole lot of point in talking to BMW US (unless it's about service/warranty and the like), when the ones who take the decisions are in Germany.

Exactly. I've learned from my industry and from my customers that the last person you want to talk to is a marketing guy/gal who knows very little about how the "equipment" operates or how it will be used in the real world. Some of the greatest improvements have come from actually taking the design engineers with me on a trip to the field and putting them in the same environment as the owners/operators. I've had more than one say that the experience was a real eye opener.

I donÔÇÖt think I have any interest in talking to someone from BMWNA but I'll gladly buy a real BMW guy a glass of our bad American beer! Here is a question for the Rally team. Are you only talking with BMWNA about participating in the Rally or are you going to the source, the Germans, and asking them to attend?

flash412 said:
Ef zee kustomerz do NOT like our productz, zen it iss ze kustomerz who are defectif! - BMW Korporate

I Agree, "Vee don't haf surging prrobllem vith the motorcycle, vee don't haf prrobblemms vith zee final drifes"

100394 said:
I Agree, "Vee don't haf surging prrobllem vith the motorcycle, vee don't haf prrobblemms vith zee final drifes"

...and zee modificationz to our new model vill correct what you miztakenly percieve as a prrobblemm! :german

Germans wrong!

Ever try to tell a German engineer that he is wrong? Usually this is a very one way conversation, or a brick wall event! We're different, we like the bikes and we'll keep buying them, because we're different in the bike world. How would we(Beemerphiles) be if our numbers were like Harley Davidson? I would get bored, seeing my bike around every corner! Either way, Germans and our love for their little propellar symbol on our bikes, seem to keep us motivated and stirring the pot. The German guys and gals will show up and act all stuffy and snooty and so on and maybe you'll like this. I usually just sit and watch. Its fun to people watch; especially foreigners,hehehe..... :nyah

Brick wall mindsets...

It's one thing to have a German engineer tell you what you can't do, it's another to BE a German engineer hearing it... What I've done to three of their wunderkind makes their eyes roll (I've seen it, it's Great).

The BMW owners, as a group, seem to be the least likely to radically modify their scooters. I flat do not understand this. While I won't rad a perfectly good machine, I love the challenge of remaking a seriously crashed into something completely different. Most of those wind up dismantled into parts bins, sad.

Maybe it was coming up through (& graduating from) H-Ds, that makes stock where you start from. gas wrenches ON... <<<)))

Back