• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650 Chain Link ?

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Is there any reason I cannot cut the chain and use a joining link instead of taking the swing arm off to install a new chain ?

Just make sure you put the outer-most C-Clip on with the open part facing backwards as the direction of the chain goes. (If you put on --- on the bottom, the open part will be facing towards the engine, as the chain rotates clockwise)

It's not a 'strength' thing, both types of master-links are the same, but it can be a safety thing if the C-clip comes off and you are going 60 or so when the side-plate comes off and you drop a chain.

After doing this just check it as one of your 'pre-flight' ride checks.

"If you put the clip on backwards (with the open portion facing the same direction of the chain then anything can catch it and knock it off". If you have/use a chain guide they can wear to clip down to nothing over time or catch the clip and knock it off real quick.

HTH

Doc

Also as a tip learned from the DVDs from F650.com (thanks Flash) put some silicone RTV on the link too to prevent it from loosening...this is a great safety net.

Why not just use a rivet link to secure it? IMO, and certainly under normal circumstances, there's no reason to take a chain off until it's time for a replacement. Why give Murphy another chance to sneak in and ruin a perfectly good ride?

Sadlsor said:
Why not just use a rivet link to secure it? IMO, and certainly under normal circumstances, there's no reason to take a chain off until it's time for a replacement. Why give Murphy another chance to sneak in and ruin a perfectly good ride?

I bought a riveting tool by RK a few years back. When I install a new chain (on my VFR), I use the rivet tool and never have to worry about the master link again. I think I paid $50 or so for the tool.

KBasa said:
I bought a riveting tool by RK a few years back. When I install a new chain (on my VFR), I use the rivet tool and never have to worry about the master link again. I think I paid $50 or so for the tool.

I paid $3 for a roll of stainless safety wire and get the same "never have to worry about the master link" kind of security. I can also take my chain off in about 90 seconds to clean it if I want.

(OK, so I paid a bit more for the safety wire pliers I couldn't live without. But they perform a multitude of uses around the house and the vehicles).

Back