• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650 forum name change?

sgborgstrom

Don't forget your towel
Considering the amount of traffic being generated by interest in the F800's, maybe it is time to change the name to "F-Type" or something like that.

Just a thought.

Steve

I don't think it is about the number of cylinders or displacement so much as about class or "weight" The F bikes are the lightweights. The R bikes the middle weight and the K bikes are the heavy weight big boys. They come with similar badges of S, ST, GS etc at times. The car guys had 3 series cars that were 4 and 6 cylinder. We have a F class that have 1 or 2.

As with many things German, out of order comes confusion. :brow

M1ka said:
I don't think it is about the number of cylinders or displacement so much as about class or "weight" The F bikes are the lightweights. The R bikes the middle weight and the K bikes are the heavy weight big boys. They come with similar badges of S, ST, GS etc at times. The car guys had 3 series cars that were 4 and 6 cylinder. We have a F class that have 1 or 2.

As with many things German, out of order comes confusion. :brow

The K1200S and R is about the same weight as the R1200RT.

Point taken on the pound weight of the bikes. Being German myself I was using weight to refer to power. The R and K may have similar bulk but the R/ST is listed at 110 hp and the R/S at 122. The K bikes GT 152, the S at 167 and R at 163 are the heavyweights of power. The new F 800 are coming in below the Rs. Now I have managed to confuse myself. :p

M1ka said:
Point taken on the pound weight of the bikes. Being German myself I was using weight to refer to power. The R and K may have similar bulk but the R/ST is listed at 110 hp and the R/S at 122. The K bikes GT 152, the S at 167 and R at 163 are the heavyweights of power. The new F 800 are coming in below the Rs. Now I have managed to confuse myself. :p

I understand ya, I thought the same way

M1ka said:

Oh. I see. I never thought about the HP. Actually, I never think about the HP numbers. I usually just think "Hey, this one has a bunch".
My wife has always rode one of what I ride even though she is about 5' 3". So I think about how low and how heavy the bike is for her. She actually has an issue of standing the bike up vertical from the sidestand since she is so light (not HP here...) and not tall. She recently bought an F650GS (all black of course) to ride around town and paddle in and out of parking lots without me around. The 650GS is both ways a lightweight, but lots of fun she says. Now she can head into a parking space that is pitched downhill a bit without worry...and ride the KS when we leave the state.
I'm kind of interested in the 800s. Built in Italy I think for BMW. Should be interesting.

Back to steve's original point, with the introduction of the 800 series F bikes perhaps the heading should be changed to the F Class or something else as he suggested. The update to forum heading would keep it current no matter what happens to the product line.

The way the the forum is set up the F650 section is the only part focused on a specific model line. Airheads covers a range of years and models. Oilheads a variety of bikes from sport to dirty. K covers the dark side of the brand line. These sections of the forum do not rely on the life span of a specific model to keep interest alive.

I frequent a Roadster forum. I have seen it shift from a board dominated by US riders to one that has many more contributers from other countries where the BMW marketing has the oilhead roadster alive and well in the product line. I wonder how it will fair when the line is droped.

The F class of BMWs interest me for a variety of reasons. I frequent this part of the forum because I think the next stablemate for the Roadster could come from this class of bikes. The question is the manufacturer.

Back