• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can anyone help (near Albany, NY)?

MUSICMAN

I've been collecting parts, have had the engine redone and am slowly putting together my late grandfathers 65 R69S..

But I feel I'm at a point where I could really use someones knowledgeable help to look over the bike and tell me what I'm missing and any tips on putting it back toghether. I have various books and a video but there's nothing like human help.

If you have a few hours, I'd be very grateful, how's dinner sound in return?

Thanks, Andy 518-339-4454

/2 list

Darryl beat me to it! The slash 2 list on yahoo is a great site for the /2 owner. Another great site is Duane Aushermans site. Just google his name and you will get his site. Lots of info and he plays on the /2 site and Boxerworks which has a /2 specific area to ask and look around in. :type

Good Luck!

Andy,

If you do not have an illustrated parts list, pick one up. (Bob's has them) Ditto, on a service manual. I like the original service manual, maybe your Grandfather had one. That would be great. These will greatly simplify communications when discussing the bike. Using the correct and sometimes unique terminology for the various BMW parts and features really helps when you are seeking advice. Secondly, the parts manual can be used to determine if parts are missing.
Read up on the engine internal lubrication system. I have a bike in my shop which is in good shape but has not been started in 28 years. I've made the decision to tear down the engine before a start up. I don't want to run the risk of damaging a good engine. Concentrate on getting the mechanical points right.
If the bike is in reasonable cosmetic condition, I would suggest simply cleaning it up. Nice original bikes are so pretty.
Good luck

Motard
1150GS
R50

Edit -- sorry, I see that you have had the engine redone, You're already on the right track.

Thanks for the info

I joined the slash 2 list and posted a question over there.
I do have Bob's parts list, and ED Korn video, a Clymer twin book and an original repair manual lent to me by a friend.

:bikes

Andy

Installing tranny on R69S

I've got the engine in, now I'm on to the tranny. How do I get it in? Should I remove the drive shaft and if so how do I get the nut off the wheel end (rear wheel is off) and will the rest slide out? What type of grease should I use on the flange, or should I unbolt the engine , slide it forward, bolt up tranny, move unit as one, secure it and then bolt up tranny?

Thanks,
Andy

The usual way to assemble a /2 is from the motor back. Install the motor, then the trans, then the swingarm/driveshaft, and then the final drive.

However, in this case, there's a way to get the trans in. Remove the top motor mount. Block up the motor under the bell housing. Remove the rear motor mount stud. Now you can rotate the motor forward enough to get the trans mounted on it. Have a friend help, because you're going to need to fiddle with the trans a bit to get the trans input shaft splines to mate up with the clutch splines. Once you get the trans onto the 3 mounting studs, you can rotate it back into place and put the motor mount stud back through the frame and case.

Good luck!

Back