• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

disassemble the parts

subconscious

I bought a new petcock to replace the old, that's point one. Point two is that I bought new gaskets to replace those contained in the old petcock.

The problem you ask?

How do I get the plate to unscrew from the main body? There are two slits, but I do not have a "tool" that will allow me to secure both sides so I can turn the face to change the gaskets.

Help!

Thanks.

Someone has taken apart a fuel petcock; How did you unscrew the face? I have it my hand, but I cannot get a grip on the slits to open the face to repair the gaskets.

Take two screwdrivers with tips that fit the slots. Put one in each slot. Put a third across the middle of the first two, to form a sort of an "H" in your hand. Unscrew it a bit. Depending on the petcock, you MIGHT be able to grab the "lip" of the part that unscrews with slip-joint pliers. Certainly after you unscrew it a turn or three you can.

Thanks. I will give that a try. I was trying a "chisel" approach with a mallet and screwdriver, but no dice. This may show some promise.

I use a needle nose plyers, with long njose, so thast it reaches over the center. Then turn away. Careful when it come apart, there is a spring washers under it.

:dunno :clap

Back