Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Missing Bolt

  1. #1
    Registered User jek_ict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    68

    Missing Bolt

    I came out from work yesterday and the oil drips under my bike were bigger than normal. Seems I lost a bolt after a 500+ mile weekend. I thought it was only HDs that rattled parts loose on the highway.

    20160607_182452.jpg

    I looked in the hole with a flashlight and everything looks clean to the threads. Apparently the bolt backed out and fell out and thankfully did not shear off. From Max BMWs Parts fiche it looks like I need a Torx bolt M6x30 and a Gasket ring A6x10. Can anybody with more experience confirm this and perhaps give advice for the proper installation?
    ~Jason

  2. #2
    Registered User ekin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Close to the hills.
    Posts
    9
    I appreciate you posting this image, as it is a good reminder to all of us. A few months ago I was checking oil window and noticed a few bolts on my bash plate were backing out. These bikes take a beating, and I need to take a few minutes to check over my bike Ensuring everything is tight.
    "Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

  3. #3
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by jek_ict View Post
    I came out from work yesterday and the oil drips under my bike were bigger than normal. Seems I lost a bolt after a 500+ mile weekend. I thought it was only HDs that rattled parts loose on the highway.

    20160607_182452.jpg

    I looked in the hole with a flashlight and everything looks clean to the threads. Apparently the bolt backed out and fell out and thankfully did not shear off. From Max BMWs Parts fiche it looks like I need a Torx bolt M6x30 and a Gasket ring A6x10. Can anybody with more experience confirm this and perhaps give advice for the proper installation?
    It's a low torque value screw, not near my manual...thinking 12nm...a very light twist on the torx driver bit after it's snug if no torque wrench. I'd just replace it, check the rest...yes, they can just back out if casually replaced. No biggie
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  4. #4
    Registered User jek_ict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    It's a low torque value screw, not near my manual...thinking 12nm...a very light twist on the torx driver bit after it's snug if no torque wrench. I'd just replace it, check the rest...yes, they can just back out if casually replaced. No biggie
    Thanks. After a lot of searching in town I found a medium grade M6x30 allen head bolt that fits along with a washer. I added some blue locktite to the threads in the hopes that this won't happen again. Fortunately, I had a spare allen wrench in the tool box that I moved to the bike's tool kit. I don't have a torque wrench at the moment so I just did as you advised and gave it a twist after it was snug. Since I was working in the area I checked all the bolts and more than half were loose.

    Since the other bolts were loose, I'm wondering if I should back them out one at a time, add some locktite, then re-install them with a proper torque wrench.

    And then there is still the repair of the rear wheel cover which is currently held on by two of its four screws and gorilla tape.
    ~Jason

  5. #5
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    between SanAntone & the Weird Place, TX
    Posts
    8,357
    Quote Originally Posted by jek_ict View Post
    Thanks. After a lot of searching in town I found a medium grade M6x30 allen head bolt that fits along with a washer. I added some blue locktite to the threads in the hopes that this won't happen again. Fortunately, I had a spare allen wrench in the tool box that I moved to the bike's tool kit. I don't have a torque wrench at the moment so I just did as you advised and gave it a twist after it was snug. Since I was working in the area I checked all the bolts and more than half were loose.

    Since the other bolts were loose, I'm wondering if I should back them out one at a time, add some locktite, then re-install them with a proper torque wrench.

    And then there is still the repair of the rear wheel cover which is currently held on by two of its four screws and gorilla tape.
    I wouldn't use loctite unless it was called for in the service manual ...proper torquing should keep them snug. Finding a matching torx screw will make the future owners/ mechanics happier...It drives me crazy needing multiple tools when different fasteners have been used...but that's me.

    At least you still have a mudguard
    My GSA's bracket failed for the second time and off it went
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

  6. #6
    Registered User jek_ict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I wouldn't use loctite unless it was called for in the service manual ...proper torquing should keep them snug. Finding a matching torx screw will make the future owners/ mechanics happier...It drives me crazy needing multiple tools when different fasteners have been used...but that's me.

    At least you still have a mudguard
    My GSA's bracket failed for the second time and off it went

    I couldn't find torx locally, and I tried multiple auto-parts, motorcycle and hardware stores. The allen head gets me back on the road until I can source a torx.

    Thanks for the advice on the loctite. Sears had a sale on torque wrenches so I went ahead and picked one up. Off to the garage to see if my hand tightening made the 10-12 Nm recommended by the Haynes manual.
    ~Jason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •