Thread: How Low Can I Make My Wife's 2010 G650GS?

How Low Can I Make My Wife's 2010 G650GS?

Probably bought my wife's bike a bit prematurely, and it's looking grim. Truth is I bought her the bike I wanted her to have rather than the bike she wanted (not sure what that is however, but she's 5' tall). A little background...I ride a 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC and wanted her to do some ADV riding with me.....off road in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I've installed the 1" Koubalinks, and she can touch her tip-toes, but she's scared and says the bike's too heavy for her. I've got a low seat coming from Wunderlich, and it's supposed to give her another inch. My last hope may be Daytona Lady Star boots which should give her another inch. But I think what she needs most is a big dose of confidence. She rides little motocross bikes fearlessly, but they aren't street legal. Any suggestions?

Google "G650GS lowering kit" and you'll find options. This one will lower the bike 2 inches.
    http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-G650-...uba-Links.aspx

I don't think you'll be able to go much lower. You will also have to sort out the center and side stand.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Your second sentence is your bigger issue
    Good luck ...maybe the info Kevin gave you will get you out of trouble.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Rhonda struggles/struggled with the same issue. She has the lowering kit, daytona lady star boots and Wunderlich seat and she can flat foot the bike now easily, she is however 5' 4" as apposed to 5". You can puruse her journey down this lane in the women of the MOA forum.
    2005 R1200RT Ursula Von Reisetourer
    2001 F650 GS Gerdy Von Gelande Strasse
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Within her imperfections there... dwells perfection in mine eyes."

I talked Annie into getting an R12R once. She never really bonded with it and darn if I didn't have to be Mr Nice Guy and take it off her hands. Been riding it for five years. Now I'm looking at a new four wheel drive pick-up for her. She hasn't mentioned wanting one, but I'm just certain she does, so I think I'll surprise her!!
    Kevin Huddy

I lowered my F800GS 2" and I like the results. I don't think the bikes are different. I used a Hyperpro kit.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I lowered my F800GS 2" and I like the results. I don't think the bikes are different. I used a Hyperpro kit.
    OM
    Your F800 does not use the "dog bones" in the rear suspension that can be replaced by "lowering links" to lower the bike. The HyperPro kit in your bike uses only replacement springs to achieve the lowering of the bike. (I bought a kit to lower Annie's new F800GS and then she decided she does not want it lowered (34 inch inseam)) I believe Hyper Pro makes a similar spring kit for the G650.

We are having a tech day next week and one of the participants is bringing a Funduro to lower for his wife. He says he thinks it will take no more than a few hours. We'll see. If this thread is still active after the 16th, then I'll report back.
    Kevin Huddy

A friend of mine has a short wife with a 650 single. He did short rear shock and linkage, lower seat and a 17" front wheel with corresponding shorter springs. I had never seem anyone do the 17" front wheel before but it seems to work fine. Obviously not the best setup for any type of ADV riding but fine for the street.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    "The fact that the jellyfish has survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people!"

It is not how tall a person is, but what their inseam is. I ride a factory lowered G650GS and in addition mine has the Kouba link installed. I have a 27" inseam. What are you calling ADV riding, because for a shorty the G650 can be heavy if your riding where you shouldn't on a dual sport bike. I also ride a KLR 650 that is lowered, and I fall, drop, crash in the woods all the time, so I have learned to not go where I can't ride. Generally I stay on fire roads, gravel and such. I have been riding a long time, and just "put up with" the fact that I'm short and have limitations. Some of this will depend on just how badly she wants to ride ADV. If she doesn't feel comfortable, then I don't think she should be pressured into it.
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    It is not how tall a person is, but what their inseam is. I ride a factory lowered G650GS and in addition mine has the Kouba link installed. I have a 27" inseam. What are you calling ADV riding, because for a shorty the G650 can be heavy if your riding where you shouldn't on a dual sport bike. I also ride a KLR 650 that is lowered, and I fall, drop, crash in the woods all the time, so I have learned to not go where I can't ride. Generally I stay on fire roads, gravel and such. I have been riding a long time, and just "put up with" the fact that I'm short and have limitations. Some of this will depend on just how badly she wants to ride ADV. If she doesn't feel comfortable, then I don't think she should be pressured into it.
    +1 or 2
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

We still have Annie's first bike which is a lowered F650GS. Annie has a 34 inch inseam and did not need it to be a lowered version, but as a first bike the lowered version was a confidence builder. She now rides a standard height F800GS. Lately I've been riding the lowered thumper more than she does. I have a 31 inch inseam and find the bike fun to ride and great for gravel roads.

Gail, you are not short, your feet reach the ground just like every one else.
    Kevin Huddy

Let her pick a bike that she doesn't think is too heavy for the kind of riding she actually wants to do. Maybe YOU are the one who has to bend a bit.

BMW isn't the only brand out there. They have never catered to the 5' tall crowd. Move on to a brand that does.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org