Thread: AeroStich Tank Panniers

AeroStich Tank Panniers

I have a question regarding using the AeroStich tank panniers on my 2014 G650GS single. Will they cause me any cooling problems due to where they rest on the faux tank? I have always wanted to try them, as they are a really functional piece of luggage, but have been told (always by someone who has never owned a G650GS) that they "might" cause an air intake problem. I am not looking for opinions on tank panniers, soft luggage, blah, blah, blah...only knowledgeable comments on my question. I would really like to hear from P.Glaves on this. Thanks in advance....Gail
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    I have a question regarding using the AeroStich tank panniers on my 2014 G650GS single. Will they cause me any cooling problems due to where they rest on the faux tank? I have always wanted to try them, as they are a really functional piece of luggage, but have been told (always by someone who has never owned a G650GS) that they "might" cause an air intake problem. I am not looking for opinions on tank panniers, soft luggage, blah, blah, blah...only knowledgeable comments on my question. I would really like to hear from P.Glaves on this. Thanks in advance....Gail
    You my dear are in luck. I have used Aerostich tank panniers on my F650 single a number of times to no ill effect. There is plenty of room for air to flow downward after the radiator - cooling works just fine. You might feel a little warmth on you calves but I never noticed it as an issue. They absolutely won't block intake air to the engine either.

BTW, Happy New Year!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You my Dear, ARE THE MAN! I knew you would know, I just knew it!!! Thanks so much for your quick reply, and Happy New Year to you & Voni. Thanks...Gail
    Gail Thorne
    G650GS
    KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Hey there! I have used them on both the 650 thumper and the 650 twin. NO problems whatsoever. One side I fill with misc items like tire pressure gauge, cloth for wiping face shield (soaked in water, wrung out, and stuffed in a ziplock), and chain lube. Other side has drinking water bottles and stuff i cannot cram into my tank bag and need to access quickly. By wrapping a bungie around through the back slots I can also hook them to the crash bars, and the front bar as well which prevents any moving around. I was worried about them scratching my tank, so I found some seat belt comfort straps at Walmart, with velcro backs, cut them to fit and stuck them on the straps to prevent any rubbing.
    Worked out perfectly!
    F650 GS 2007, F650GS 2011,F800GS 2014
    Team Pterodactyl, Dessert Division
    A Bit Wester of HQ

I've got about 10k on mine and leave them on the bike year round. One side holds my tools and misc bike stuff and the other side holds my compressor, water bottle and lunch for commuting. They also block the wind rather nicely in cool weather.