• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cost of 6000 mile service for my F650GS

P

pjsbrown

Taking my '05 F650GS in for it's 6000 mile service and was wondering what kind of pricing others have seen. I'm looking at $252 for labor and then about $50 in parts.

Also was told I needed to do a brake flush in the first year (coming up on April 4th) to maintain my warranty.

Any input is appreciated!

pjsbrown said:
Taking my '05 F650GS in for it's 6000 mile service and was wondering what kind of pricing others have seen. I'm looking at $252 for labor and then about $50 in parts.

Also was told I needed to do a brake flush in the first year (coming up on April 4th) to maintain my warranty.

Any input is appreciated!

The labor estimate sounds about right, I think it should be about four hours labor for the 6k service at whatever rate. Changing the brake fluid is in the annual service, which should be done, well, annually. I don't think it will void your warranty, but it's a good idea. Brake fluid absorbs water over time, which lowers the boiling point of the fluid. When pressure is applied it can cause the watered down fluid to boil, and in short the brakes fail. And the failure can be anywhere from the brakes feel soft and squishy to you have no braking action whatsoever. So, if you decide not to renew the brake fluid I merely suggest that you allow an exceptionally adequate following distance on the road. Also, if you get cruddy brake fluid, it can gum up the master cylinder, and in a couple years you'll need to either rebuild or buy a new master cylinder, far more expensive than paying for routine maintenance. And you'll know your brakes work.

Just my thoughts!

Labor sounds right. I just went in there myself and there's a lot of labor involved.

On the brake fluid- I just changed mine out after 1 year. I had been up in the hills and ridden through a few creeks within the year. The fluid in the rear caliper was BLACK. I'd say that's a good argument to do it more often if you go off road.

I never owned a F bike, but do know that the annual services and the schedule, suggested maintenance can be a bit high. One of the reason's BMW's last so long is that they have a more frequent scheduled services. As a result it is suppose to catch some problems before you get stranded or have a small problem become a large one. (In theory anyway).
One thing to remember is how much you ride, how often you ride and what type of riding you do. BMW's in general don't like to sit (as with most vehicles) as seals can dry out, batteries discharge, etc. I am a pretty good keeping up with mine services and have noticed that if I don't the bike tends to let me know... So, yes do the service and the annual service. Your bike will like it and it will give you peace of mind... Food for thought... :eat :drink

Back