• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

volkswagen conversion

Hi. My first time here.I was wondering if anyone out there remembers when somebody was putting volkswagen motors in /2 bikes? I've acquired a Chang Jiang bike and sidecar with a blown motor. I have a R90 engine that I was thinking about using but then I got to thinking about an old conversion that i had seen , /2 drive train-volkswagen engine. Does anyone have any info on such a conversion that I maybe able to use on this Chang? Thank you.

There was a nice VW/2 at the Las Vegas Moto Auction this year. I don't think I got a pic, though. I was kind o' rushed.

vw conversion

Thanks David for the reply. I have a few photos of two real nice /2 bikes with vw motors from the Natl rally that was held at Madison Ind. back in I think 1989. I'll have to do some more research. Geo.

It'd prolly be easier to put the R90 in the Chang. Not that it is impossible to put the VW in, :banghead There was some kind of adaptor plate that adapted the VW engine to the /2 trany, and the frame had to be lengthened by about 3" as I recall. I've seen several Urals with Airhead engines adapted. You could probably find some info on that at some Ural sites.

VW powered BMW's

I might be of help in this regard?
Most VMW owners play on the Yahoo group site VWMOTORCYCLES. Butterfield, Brown, Webley / Vickers, Rosema and Hamm built are all talked about along with pics and discussion on build and repair. Along with VW bikes Bud Burkey plays on this site. His VW motorcycles are 500 HP bikes of top quality build. Come on over and check it out! Hope this helps!

00weel :bolt

Back