• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vermont to the Ocean

V

vidking

We're traveling to the VT rally from Tennessee. After the rally we want to ride to Bar Harbor. Maine. Any suggestion on some twisty roads to get there? We'll make it a 2 day trip.

It is hard to choose a bad road from VT to ME! I'm sure some of the "locals" will chime in here, but I really have enjoyed every road I have been on in VT, NH, and ME. (other than the interstates...) :thumb

Well, you could start off by following Rt 2 east from the rally site. That takes you thru northern Vermont, St. Johnsbury. Nice road, busy (for Vermont), but great views. Follow that into NH and the White Mtns. Simple beautiful views of the Whites/Mtn Washington. At Gorham, NH you can follow Rt 16 S (8 miles) to ride up Mt. Washington or continue east on Rt 2 to Bethel. Here you have the choice to continue on Rt 2 to Bangor and then 1A S to Bar Harbor. OK, but not very great riding. In Bethel you are better to start on back roads, just keep taking roads heading S or East and make you way to the coast. The coast will be very, very busy (Avoid Rt 1). But not far from the coastal area it will be empty on the back roads.

Have fun

Hello Vidking,

Don't know anything about VT to ME.....but because I live in N. GA and will be going to the rally, I was wondering if you new any good roads to get there from our area. I really hate the idea of I-81 for two days.

Thanks,

Gil

Took the route described in post #3 in 2004 about the same time as the rally will be. It is a good mix of a way to cover the ground you are interested in while having fun. Traffic was not bad by mid-west standards. Watch out for wild life.

Depending on the time you want to spend.... and acknowledging that New England is built on a N/S principle
serving commerce between Boston and Montreal... (i.e. no really great east/west routes)...

Route 2 shadows I89 from Burlington to Barre/Montpelier, and is nice sweepers punctuated by towns.
Or take I89 to make time and then take 2 from Barre and enjoy more sweepers between Marshfield and StJ.
Only problem is that 2 is one of those undivideds with passing lanes, and summertime means motorhomes!
There are some uphill truck lanes and passing ops. Hop I93 in NH and drop down to pick up 302 or drop as far
as Woodstock and ride the Kangangus (NH 112) through to Conway, NH. For the daring, between Bartlett, NH and
Passaconaway is the Bear Notch Road, open seasonally and always fun. Choose your route and slip that little detour in.
Or take 302 all the way from Barre to Portland, ME throught the White Mtn National forest.

Little bits I like to work in if I'm nearby are:

Route 26 from Colebrook, NH to Newry, ME (through Dixville Notch, past the old Mount Washington Hotel)

Route 117 through Sugar Hill, NH in order to have breakfast at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill.

Route 113 from Gilead, NH (off Route 2) through Evans Notch along the Maine border to the Corner Store in Stow, ME
where M-cyclists sit and eat pastry and drink coffee and watch the other bikers go by heading for the notch.

Rainbow Sweets in Marshfield, VT on Route 2 for lunch or pastries, the host owns a vintage BMW
and makes delectible sweets! His schtick alone is worth a visit.

There almost isn't a bad back road to be had, but in the summer you may well wish to avoid the
bottlenecks in Meredith and Center Harbor, NH by trying Route 113 Holderness, NH thorugh West Ossipee.

bar harbor alternative

Bar Harbor is definately worth visiting if you have not been there before but it will be crowded at that time and caters to tourists. It can be seen in two days so you may consider the Blue Hill and Deer Isle area just south as a side trip. The roads will not be crowded and it will be a piece of real Down East Maine. There is an endless supply of places to eat, art galleries, Wooden Boat School, Haystack school of crafts, ocean kayaking, camping, lobster pounds and of course the always entertaining locals.
Have a great time.

iRene said:
Route 26 from Colebrook, NH to Newry, ME (through Dixville Notch, past the old Mount Washington Hotel)

Isn't it The Balsams Resort in Dixville and Mt Washington Hotel is on Rt 302. Either one are sites to behold!

You may have heard of Dixville Notch before but don't realize it:

"Dixville Notch, NH is the site of the first voting in the primary elections for the USA. The voters gather at the stroke of midnight to cast their ballots to the click and whir of news cameras from around the world."

The Big Maine Woman has nailed for you!

Some of the nicest riding on the way to the coast is across NH 112 the Kancamagus Hwy. I then like the trip north up 113 a long the ME NH border and then up rt 26 to 16 through Rangeley ME.

Back