• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ironman USA (Lake Placid) - July 23 <= Correct Date

K

kurtr11s

I posted this info on page 21 of a "picture" thread - nobody will see it. It may be important to someone so I'll start a new thread here.

If anyone is interested, Ironman USA is the 23rd of July - the last day of the rally. For those who don't know, Ironman is a triathlon consisting of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26 mile run. I would HIGHLY recommend that motorcyclists avoid Lake Placid on that day - unless you really like to wait in traffic. Most of the main roads are closed because of the race but there is one-way traffic in a loop that goes from Wilmington to Jay to Keene and up to the ski jumps. The old military road will be open so you could bypass Placid.

The village itself is overrun with people that day - I believe that it is biggest single day draw of the whole year.

BUT - if you would like to ride your scooter very slowly on roads closed to traffic, I'm sure the organizers would LOVE to have some of us volunteer our services. They need motorcycles to carry officials (there are rules that need to be enforced), camera people, and "stuff" around the 56 mile course. My wife and I are planning to volunteer. I'm hoping that my quiet K75 does can sneak up on the cheating drafters and can catch them in the act. The straight pipe bikes can't sneak up on anybody. :)

Kurt

Thanks Brad

My first two posts to the forum needed to be edited. I'm an idiot!

kurtk75s said:
My first two posts to the forum needed to be edited. I'm an idiot!

No worries, we all had to start some time. I have been making mistakes my entire life - I don't intend to stop now.

Volunteering at the Ironman

I have volunteered to carry photojournalists and judges at the Ironman Competitions here in Wisconsin.

It is not something you should consider unless you have a good night's sleep beforehand, and are comfortable with a passenger who moves ALL OVER an the back seat. I once had a judge who jumped from my moving bike, as I was trying to stop for him. I still don't know how I managed to keep the bike upright.

:dunno

Sue,

Very good points. My wife won't even consider being a motorcycle volunteer even though her R11Rwould be perfect for it. She is very small and the combo of a heavy bike and a squirrely passenger make her too nervous. She will volunteer in some other capacity.

I will keep your experience in mind and will set some ground rules with my passenger. Number 1: if they egress from the moving bike, they will not get back on! Also, I won't party too hard the night before. We will most likely head toward Placid after the award ceremony - my father lives over that way.

Do you have any other "motorcycle support" tips? I was thinking of getting a flip-up helmet to be able to communicate with the passenger (and to get some air at slow speeds).

Thank you for volunteering at IM Wisco (or IM MOO as it is referred to in some circles :)) You helped many people realize long time dreams. I'm sure that it was a tough day - but nothing compared to chair-ing an internationally rally, right :)?

Kurt
(in Syracuse, NY)

Better get the insurance in hand before you "volunteer". Your regular insurance may not/will not cover it. Heard a horror story around a campfire about an accident and an insurance denial. Thank God the promoter stepped up to the pump after a bunch of hassle. :help

iazmotos.jpg

The following PDF file should give you a pretty good idea of what is involved in riding "moto" for an Ironman:

http://motos.home.att.net/moto-manual.pdf

Back