• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Fiamm Horn Installation....

RedHawK12GT

This is posted on another site, but I thought I could get some more input here also. In the process of installing "Freeway Blasters" Fiamm horns in thew same area as the (only 1) stock horn. I have been told that a "relay" is needed for the dual horns, then was told one is not needed. I am confused. I know that area in front of radiator is tight, and I understand about maybe having to make a homemade "bracket" for mounting. No problem.
I am good with wire connections, using the heat shrink tubing, etc... . The plug that was on original was a green and brown. From some previous excellent help, I was told the brown is the ground. I am a little concerned about the relay part though, as I don't want to burn up my wiring. Any input/pics would be great. Thanks to all. :bikes :dunno :dunno

It sounds as though you are going to take the horn power from the existing connection to the stock horn. If so, the horn relay already on the bike should work just fine. Assuming it has one, and it almost certainly does unless it is a very old bike.

John

RedHawK12GT said:
This is posted on another site, but I thought I could get some more input here also. In the process of installing "Freeway Blasters" Fiamm horns in thew same area as the (only 1) stock horn. I have been told that a "relay" is needed for the dual horns, then was told one is not needed. I am confused. I know that area in front of radiator is tight, and I understand about maybe having to make a homemade "bracket" for mounting. No problem.
I am good with wire connections, using the heat shrink tubing, etc... . The plug that was on original was a green and brown. From some previous excellent help, I was told the brown is the ground. I am a little concerned about the relay part though, as I don't want to burn up my wiring. Any input/pics would be great. Thanks to all. :bikes :dunno :dunno

I don't think anyone knows if the relay which is there will handle whatever you have. To be safe, you should operate the new relay (or get one at Radio Shack) with the two wires that went to the old horn and take power thru a fuse from the battery to the new relay and to your new horns. Grounding the other side of the new horns. I have heard of folks just adding the two new horns to a GT or RS without an extra relay and that works since there is a relay in there for the single horn stock, but if the new horns draw lots of current, over 10 amps, then use an extra relay.

I've put dual Fiamm horns on several BMW bikes. On a 94 R11RS and a 93 R100GS/PD there was an existing relay.

It is easy to determine if you have a relay. Just disconnect one of the wires from the horn. Then turn the ignition switch on and depress the horn button. If you have a relay, you'll be able to hear a little "click" each time you press the horn button. If you remove the fuel tank you can easily locate the relay from the "click" noise.

Sometimes it is a trick to locate 2 Fiamm horns where there was only a single horn. On the R11RS the two Fiamms were located between the fork tubes under the triple clamp. On the GS/PD the horns were mounted up front to the "roo" bars (term used by our friends in Oz :).

I had to add a relay on a 75 R60/6. The relay was placed beneath the frame just ahead of the air intake scoop. The horns were mounted in the conventional location on the frame downtubes beneath the front of the gas tank. Because the R60 did not have welded tabs for the horns as the /7s do, I used the ADEL-type clamps. These seem to work well.

I can send pictures of the mounts for the R60 and GS/PD to interested parties.

Horns.....

John Brase said:
It sounds as though you are going to take the horn power from the existing connection to the stock horn. If so, the horn relay already on the bike should work just fine. Assuming it has one, and it almost certainly does unless it is a very old bike.

John

I have the horns installed. I was told by the very knowledgeable service tech at my dealership that it did have a relay that was sufficient. To be on the safe side, I added a in-line 10 amp fuse to green (hot) wire. Works fine, HORNS LOUD !. On to next project.

Location of second horn

Can you describe where you placed the second fiamm horn on your bike? I didn't think there was space to mount the second (the high tone?).

What model bike are we talking? .....I mounted a pair of Fiamm's to the headlight bucket on my 04 Roadster. Bolted them together, and fabbed a simple bracket from there to the back of the bucket.

I used the stock switch , by removing the connector from the single OEM horn, and wiring the Fiamm's to it. The OEM relay seems to be handling them just fine.

Ron

Psssstt...

Guys - RedHawks last activity on the forum was in 2008, so I wouldn't wait for an answer from him..

Just sayin' (thread is from 2006..)

Back