• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain suit recommendation?

K

kartracer

I'm just getting back into riding after an 18 year hiatus. I've purchased a Fieldsheer Mach 1 jacket and Titanium Air pants for these warm months, however these warm months also tend to be wet. Are there any rain suits that would fit over the aforementioned gear while the armor is still in place? Also, recommendations for glove and boot covers?

Thanks,
MikeB.

First Gear makes some nice rain suits, I have one that has served me well for 6-years. Should be available at most motorcycle parts and accessory stores as well as many dealerships.

Is this a website thread, or do we have some recommendations for MikeB?

We have Tourmaster raingear, but it's way old. Perhaps some of the newer stuff breathes better? What have you guys experienced.

We have switched to gortex liners or riding products since rainsuit technology ten years ago was like a personal sauna suit.

rain suit recommendation

Try West Marine ,they have breatheable raingear that will keep you dry. Some of the boating gear I use for a living is helpfull on a bike too:clap

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying a two piece First Gear suit fron Bob's. (It was the least I could do after test riding bikes there for 5 hours one Saturday!)

Besides trying it on for size over my textile mesh jacket and pants at Bob's, I haven't worn them yet. Of course it would help if I had a bike!! I've been borrowing a friend's '85 Nighthawk 650 to "get my legs back" after not riding for 18 years, but am imminently (sp?) picking up a new K1200GT. (Long story on that decision.) I don't know how soon I want to subject it (or mostly me) to rainy conditions until I get used to the handling in the dry. I'll post a review after I use it.

MikeB.

I have the First Gear rain jacket I use over my perforated leather jacket. I rode back from Finger Lakes Monday in Rain, rain, rain. No leaks at all. I have also used it as a windproof layer for cool mornings.

I also have been using my sailing foul weather pants with bib which have been excellent. This is top quality gear as I have done some serious ocean racing. But these are much bulkier than the first gear jacket. After Monday, I have decided to get the first gear pants.

Frog Toggs breathe, are cheap, about $60, and will keep you as dry as the expensive stuff. Of course, if you can keep up your speed on an LT, not much rain hits you anyway.:brow

Wal Mart sells raingear that is the same material as the Frogg Toggs minus the velcro on the zipper for right at $30.00 for the top and bottoms. I think it's the H2 brand and it's in the sporting goods section at Wally World. I ran in rain for three straight days in Canada this summer and it' s the best raingear I've ever used. It is somewhat fragile, but for $15.00 a piece it is well worth it.
Mike

I have added the First gear rain pants, they will not leak in the crotch.

I can not buy the less expensive gear suach as at Walmart. On a K12RS I am up in the wind and the gear takes a beating. Walmart suits shred in under 200 miles in these conditions.

Rain Gear

If you want something a little more substancial that frogg toggs try BMW Air-Flo rain suit. Not the heavey jacket and pants, but a light weight (not too expensive by BMW standards) rain suit that fits over just about any summer type riding gear. It gets me through the spring and summer until i start wearing my Kilaminjaro jacket, which is waterproof and my Gerbings overpants (heated and waterproof).

Frogg Toggs worked well

MarkF said:
Rain Suits for $59.95

1-800-833-4685

www.froggshop.com

MarkF

I bought a set and needed to use them on my first trip. Did very well in a solid 20 minute downpour. I did get some leaking from my helmet down the front but I think I can fix that with some adjustment.

Otherwise, stayed quite dry.

Back