• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Shock Upgrade for a Short Guy

W

wiener

I am 5' 8" and would like to get a shock system that will lower the bike so I can reach the ground better. I have been considering the short shock from "Works Performance" for my 1994 K1100LT. I have a trailer hitch to tow my friends trailer once in awhile which works fine with my factory stock system. I weigh around 220 and seldom have a passenger.
Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I understand that after installing these shorter shocks the center stand is not easily usable.
Thanks in advance.

Pat -

Here is my experience. I previously had a 1985 K100RT and put a Works (standard) shock on it. I thought it was quite an improvement over the stock shock. Three years ago I bought a real low-mileage 1994 K1100LT. After putting some rather tall tires on it, I sought to install a "short" shock so I could get both feet on the ground. I bought a Works "short" shock. I felt that the ride was quite harsh and I could not adjust it to remove the harshness. So I sent it back to Works and they did some work on it and sent it back. It is marginally better, but I'm still not happy with it.

If I were to do it again, I would look seriously at the Wilbers "short" shock.

Dan Ellis

I am facing the same problem concerning Shocks and wonder about the Ride if I get a Short Shock for my 1991 K-100-LT-abs.

I am considering a HAGON MONO-SHOCK.

Does anybody have experience with these shocks?

Similar height as original post: 5'8" (29.5" Inseam)
180 lbs

Typically ride alone on Highways and Back-roads.

Thanks for any suggestions.

RamingtonStall :confused: :confused: :confused: :dunno :dunno :dunno

Response from Works Performance

This is what Sandy from Works Performance sent me.
see attached text file.

Attachments

• k75-1200.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 90
1 option

I have a '93 K1100LT that I put a stock K75 shock on (1.5" shorter) & then pulled the fork tubes up until level. It's been 5k+ since & it works great. At 30" inseam I need something lower than stock. I'm usually 1 up, or 2 without gear, An inexpensive possibility....

My K100 had a stock shock on it, and it was "tallish." After a while, I learned to put one foot or the other down without having to think about it. The rear shock was pretty well worn out when I sold the bike at 90,000 + miles.

My K75 had a Works Lo-shock on it when I bought it. The ride was great, and I did feel a bit more comfortable at most stops. The times when it really showed its worth was when riding two-up, which was rare for me (and still is).

The K11 is stock, and so far, the shock is okay. I've pretty much reverted to the instinctive, "one foot or the other" mode, since I only put my feet down when stopped ... ;)

For my money, I could do another Works shock and be happy, but unless I unexpectedly meet with a windfall, my budget will not justify it at the moment.

Yea Rick that's what I do now. Like you I hate to spend $500 for a shock until my shock goes bad. My only concern is I drag the foot pegs now and then and if I use a lower shock want that be worse. Mike

Back