• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ohlin Shocks

B

bluther

I am a new member to this forum and am enjoying it very much. You can learn so much from the experience of others! I ride a 2001 R1150 GS with 16K miles on it. My question is this: How many of you have put Ohlin shocks on your bikes and what has been you experience with them...good or bad? Is the investment worth it? Thanks for your help. Bill. :)

Attachments

• gs.jpg
    gs.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Good suspension is always worth it, and money well spent. I've used Ohlins, Fox, Penske, Koni, and Works Performance, and they were all an improvement. Also check out Wilbers.....definitely some good looking stuff from a performance/dollar perspective.

We've got Ohlins on the VFR and on the S bike.

They're outstanding. I've heard from several folks whose reputations I respect that the Wilbers stuff is equally nice, but costs less.

dave

Ohlins rock. Transforms the bike from a tyson ruffian to a early Mohammad Ali, floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee.

it's all good.

Shocks

I just had Wilbers shocks installed on my R1200C, and I'm just now learning how to tune them for my rides (lots of adjustments!)

The fit and finish is great on these shocks. They create the right combination for your bike, based on the machine, your weight, etc.

I got a front shock with preload and rebound damping adjustments. The rear shock has hydraulic preload adjustment, rebound damping, and both high and low speed compression damping.

I'm working on a web page that shows the installation details.

If you private message me, I'll let you see the page as a work in process.

Those might go nicely on our RS.

bikepainter had nothing but good things to say about them when I talked with him at the national. Cheap too.

I put Ohlins on my bike and can't recommend them enough. You will notice the performance right away. I had 37,000 miles on the old shocks so the difference may have been more pronounced.

-d

Hi,

Ohlins are outstanding no question, but would I invest in them, not unless I was racing on the track. IMHO the BMW shocks unlike typical Rice motorcycles come with a medium quality in other words decent shock that for most street applications works well. I have not had handeling problems even at ridiculous speeds and I have ridden the BMW's I have owned with confidence. So for me it is hard to justify the expense.

BBowens said:
Hi,

Ohlins are outstanding no question, but would I invest in them, not unless I was racing on the track. IMHO the BMW shocks unlike typical Rice motorcycles come with a medium quality in other words decent shock that for most street applications works well. I have not had handeling problems even at ridiculous speeds and I have ridden the BMW's I have owned with confidence. So for me it is hard to justify the expense.

It's kind of a bandwidth/ride quality thing.

I put Ohlins on my S and the bumps that shot me out of my seat aren't even felt anymore. It's like the bike is hanging from a big string or something. It's wild.

I put the Ohlins on the VFR and it was an equal transformation. Not that the VFR was bad (it certainly wasn't), but there's a change in ride quality that's just stupifying.

I think shocks are kind of like shoes and tires. If you're comfortable with it, it's the best one for you.

I switched to Ohlins on my 1999 K1200LT and can't say enough good things about them. Neither my girlfriend nor I are particularly large, and yet with the stock suspension I had a scuff mark on my front fender from where it was banging against the fairing and I kept bottoming out the rear when fully loaded with passenger and the preload cranked to the maximum. Neither has happened since the switch, and the ride doesn't feel any less plush. Definitely worth the money!!

Hi Jamie,

No question the Ohlins are a great shock, but owning a 99 LT myself I would suspect your bottoming out may be a result of wearing or worn out shocks, assuming you were not "flying" over sharp bumps.

I never had problems bottoming out with my riding two up fully loaded early on in the shock life. I am of average height and weight but my wife, well, let's say not as trim as she use to be.

I doubt they were worn out... the scuff marks on the front fender were observed at the 600 mile service! However, as far as flying over rough roads... well.. isn't the LT the most comfortable crotch rocket you've EVER ridden?? ;)

Back