• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Maine as close as it looks?

How far to Maine

No one has yet mentioned the obvious answer.

Come early to Vermont, stay at Lake Carmi State Campground which has been reserved by the BMW MOA for our members exclusive use on Monday through Wednesday (checkout Thursday am) and then take your time for a liesurely ride through VT, NH and across Maine. Work your way through as many lobsters as you want before heading back to Lake Carmi to sleep it off before the official start of the 2006 International Rally.

Motivations, reasons, even excuses to ride faster/farther were among the very factors involved in the MOA setting up the Lake Carmi location for our members benefit.

Come early, stay late.

Michael Friedle
2006 Rally Co-Chair

VERMONT, It's Not Flat

Michael Friedle said:
Come early to Vermont, stay at Lake Carmi State Campground which has been reserved by the BMW MOA for our members exclusive use on Monday through Wednesday (checkout Thursday am) and then take your time for a liesurely ride through VT, NH and across Maine. Work your way through as many lobsters as you want before heading back to Lake Carmi to sleep it off before the official start of the 2006 International Rally.

OK You could even look at the rally sched and pick a day, I usually do on Fri, when you can leave early, be gone all day, and be back for the band and beer garden. Thsi Lake Carmi thing might be the best new idea.

>>
Hey now,

You are assuming an overall average of 50mph *including stops*.<<<

Its just 200 miles, why would you stop! Nice range on the GS. I do this ride every spring and that's the time it takes, sorry if you ride slower then it will take longer. Remember also that here in Vermont, you can pass on the double yellow, so you're never stuck behind someone for long. When there's lobster waiting, I'm not stopping.

Unregistered said:
>>
Hey now,

You are assuming an overall average of 50mph *including stops*.<<<

Its just 200 miles, why would you stop! Nice range on the GS. I do this ride every spring and that's the time it takes, sorry if you ride slower then it will take longer. Remember also that here in Vermont, you can pass on the double yellow, so you're never stuck behind someone for long. When there's lobster waiting, I'm not stopping.

Stop for gas, stop to pee, stop for a red light. Slow down to 35mph for a few miles while you wait for a safe place to pass. A 50mph overall average for a 200 mile ride on secondary roads in New England is very fast. You and I may do this all the time but to suggest that a visitor from say the midwest will is irresponsible.

Sure you can legally cross the double yellow in Vermont but you can't in New Hampshire or Maine. Perhaps you do anyway. :nono

The route has numerous towns and speed zones. The state speed limit on secondary roads is 50mph. To do this ride in 4 hours, or more importantly to promote doing this ride in this time is to endorse riding well outside of what many in local law enforcement would find acceptable. As an anonymous guest you can get away with promoting it, I can't and I will not suggest it as an "easy" ride.

The last thing I want to do is give a rider who has never been to New England the idea that you can go from the rally site to coastal Maine and back for Lobster in one day at anything other than a very aggressive pace, as in don't stop no matter how intresting the stop is.

I would restate that perhaps folks would have more fun if thay planned their trip east to incude a day or two before or after the rally wandering the coast and interior of northern New England.

Of course YMMV and if you like lobster that much and you like to ride "focused" then yes, by all means you can go from Essex to Maine for Lobster and back in one day (daylight day).

Best,

Rob Nye
06 Rally Co-Chair

:wave
phil said:
Make sure you go to Capt Newwicks in South Portland Maine. Best lobster in Maine. Easy Day trip 2 1/2 hours each way.
Phil from Florida orig Maine
Broadway South Portland.

You are nuts to think you can get to S Portland in 2 1/2 hours from the Burlington area. There are several places in the Rally area where you can get a good lobster without the trek to Maine. Sorry to be negative, but I live in Vermont, and while the best lobsters I have had are from Maine, on the island of Vinalhaven from a friend who is a lobsterman, but, they aren't bad when alive and cooked in Vermont.

When my wife and I got engaged (34 years ago) we had lobster dinners in Gorham, NH. It was 2 lobsters/person for $4.99/person! Hmmm, was it really that long ago?

Rob Nye said:
Sure you can legally cross the double yellow in Vermont but you can't in New Hampshire or Maine. Perhaps you do anyway.

The route has numerous towns and speed zones.
06 Rally Co-Chair

Ok, good topic: what are the motor vehicle laws, and specifically motorcycle laws, that we need to know in Vermont? For instance, in Michigan unposted roads have a 55mph speed limit. Are two bikers allowed to ride abreast? (I don't do this, but just wondering.) Etc.

dancogan said:
Ok, good topic: what are the motor vehicle laws, and specifically motorcycle laws, that we need to know in Vermont? For instance, in Michigan unposted roads have a 55mph speed limit. Are two bikers allowed to ride abreast? (I don't do this, but just wondering.) Etc.

The information you seek will be available on the rally webpage shortly.

Best,

Rob Nye

Unregistered said:
>>
Remember also that here in Vermont, you can pass on the double yellow, so you're never stuck behind someone for long. When there's lobster waiting, I'm not stopping.

You should know, that while it is legal to pass on a DYL it is NOT LEGAL on hills, curves (not just blind ones either), intersections and where posted No Passing.
It is also NOT legal to: exceed the speed limit when passing another vehicle, pass more than one vehicle, pass a moving vehicle on the right (even if it has it's left turn signal on).
The law is still written that way because VT is still mostly rural and the chance of you coming up behind a manure spreader or hay wagon is great. This allows you to pass...... safely.
Interestingly, an officer CAN ticket you for crossing the center line. It is the "passers" responsibility to make a safe pass. If an officer ticketed you for passing, you wouldn't be able to use the excuse "I was told......."
While I can make time in the twisties, I don't push it on the straights and especially in towns.

iRene said:
Depends on your idea of "day ride..." I'm thinking NOT.

Yup. Check Mapquest, slabbing all the way:
Total Est. Time: 13 hours, 38 minutes Total Est. Distance: 844.85 miles

Go for the long weekend plan. We need your tourist dollars.

Let's qualify that, I was assuming a day trip from your posted home, in Michigan. Duh. Dope slap me.
You mean from Essex Jct. I do the Brunswick, ME area to Burlington, VT happily in 5 hours by slab, about 280 miles. There are lots of great coastal roads here to enjoy once you arrive, but to simply fly and eat, you could do it in a businesslike day. I'd stay and see the coast for a day if I were you coming all the way from Michigan.

and you never know....

Rob Nye said:
Of course YMMV and if you like lobster that much and you like to ride "focused" then yes, by all means you can go from Essex to Maine for Lobster and back in one day (daylight day).

Best,

Rob Nye
06 Rally Co-Chair

Not to add too much more caution on this topic -- but as been said a couple times, we don't do east/west too well in New England and worse, most of the major routes also have major traffic congestion at regular times during the summer. I've spent a lot of hours wishing I were slabbing it because I'm stuck in a podunk areas on a back road because of the volume. For example, the southern east/west roads from NH to ME are almost always overloaded on the weekends during the summer. Take your time and enjoy one of the scenic routes.

jono said:
Not to add too much more caution on this topic -- but as been said a couple times, we don't do east/west too well in New England and worse, most of the major routes also have major traffic congestion at regular times during the summer.

Just come out and say it! You mean Center Harbor and Meredith, NH on weekend summer days! DON'T YOU!!!!

Back