• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Classified board?

threeflys said:
Alright guys, it's now 2006 and we're still waiting on the classified board. Any ideas when?
Chris

It is in the production pipe-line for completion by the end of the first quarter of 2006.

Best,

threeflys said:
Alright guys, it's now 2006 and we're still waiting on the classified board. Any ideas when?
Chris

I think you will see an on-line flea market by the end of the first quarter of 2006.

Best,

Rob: when you get classifieds here, it's gonna do wonders for your web traffic counts.

Steve

UberXY said:
Rob: when you get classifieds here, it's gonna do wonders for your web traffic counts.

Steve

Yep. We see it as a vital member benefit. Finally, you'd have an online place to sell your stuff that was free of scammers and the like. You'll be able to put a photo of your stuff up as well.

If you think about Cycle Trader, they charge $60 or so to provide a ten day ad with similar functionality.

When you add in that these ads will go only to MOA members, it might be the safest bet in online BMW sales on the 'net.

Rob Nye said:
It is in the production pipe-line for completion by the end of the first quarter of 2006.

Best,

are we in the first quarter now?

I'm not sure if the moa is in some crazy tax calender where the first quarter starts in december of the following year or something. I heard soon 2 years ago so I wonder.

marK11LT said:
are we in the first quarter now?

I'm not sure if the moa is in some crazy tax calender where the first quarter starts in december of the following year or something. I heard soon 2 years ago so I wonder.

We are.

The plan is to have a presentation for the board meeting in three weeks, then some tweaks and tuning followed by go live. The actual go live day may be determined with consideration of the print publication schedule.

This translates to after the middle of the month, either Feb or March, depending on how things go over the next few weeks.

Does anyone else think that the policy that requires chosing on-line or ON will result in the ON ads only being stuff that is overpriced or won't sell? I think most members will try to sell on-line first because there is no delay. Only the stuff that won't sell on-line will end up in the ON.

MarkF said:
Does anyone else think that the policy that requires chosing on-line or ON will result in the ON ads only being stuff that is overpriced or won't sell? I think most members will try to sell on-line first because there is no delay. Only the stuff that won't sell on-line will end up in the ON.

MAYBE, for ads placed through the web site. But, a lot of folks will still want to use the ON because a) *they* don't use web sites to buy things themselves, and b) for some time yet, there will be a lot more readers of the ON than viewers of the web classifieds. Most of the ads submitted for the Flea Market now are sent via email, but I don't think that necessarely implies that "most" people view web listing sites. Virtually everyone has email at work.

The point of requiring the choice, as I see it, is to help cut down on the number of items that get sold off the web before the print ad sees the light of day. This can sure be adjusted based on our experiences.

I would prefer:

ON ads are different that the online (or as I like to call it "ON online") ads

No questions, bumps, comments etc. (use PMs for that) only original poster can add to the thread or edit.

ads automatically deleted after a set time.

marK11LT said:
I would prefer:

ON ads are different that the online (or as I like to call it "ON online") ads

No questions, bumps, comments etc. (use PMs for that) only original poster can add to the thread or edit.

ads automatically deleted after a set time.

That's pretty much where we're headed.

Why bother, there are serveral other sites out there now that do this and very well?

Making it members only limits the buyer pool. Personally when selling first thing I ask for is their MOA number.... if they don't have one it is strickly cash up front. Eliminates the fraudsters very quickly.

bmw_rider said:
Why bother, there are serveral other sites out there now that do this and very well?

Making it members only limits the buyer pool. Personally when selling first thing I ask for is their MOA number.... if they don't have one it is strickly cash up front. Eliminates the fraudsters very quickly.

First, to automatically do what you do by asking: limit ads to just 'MOA members. Also, since only logged in members will be able to view ads, that should just about eliminate the fraud guys who skim public listings and then offer to send you a cashiers' check, etc. The ON Flea Market is always mentioned as one the major benefits in ON reader surveys. Putting it on-line just extends that service and makes it quicker. The 38,000 'MOA members is still a very large pool of potential buyers.

Greetings,

The on-line classifieds will be similar to what you may have seen at the IBMWR except they are only available for posting and viewing by MOA members.

This means no spam and no nigerian scams. No offers for your bike if you will cash a check for twice the price and send a money order somewhere for the difference.

You will have the ability to post a photo with your ad.

When you place your ad you will need to choose between print and web. Let the advertiser decide where to advertise their items to MOA members. If this means the end of the flea market in the Owners News we will look for suggestions on how to use the space.

Ads will have a shelf life of 30-60 days, then they will auto delete. There will be no way to "bump" your ad and this will not be a part of this forum so there will be no replying directly under an ad or editorializing as to the price, etc.

If you have any comments on making an on-line flea market feel free to post them here or send me a note at rcnye@bmwmoa.org.

Best,

More Flea

Beside being a total rookie for posting, why isn't there a forum section for posting flea stuff? If you can post pics and comments elsewhere...............?

Back