• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scorpion Helmet Noise?

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
From the fog thread:
The Veg said:
After a couple of weeks with the Scorpion.... Now if the Scorpion factory could have done such a good job about noise! But that's another thread...
Please, start such a thread. I was trying a Scorpion at the BMW dealership, and the parts guys came over and said the dealer tried one out, said it was noisy, and that I ought to choose a new Arai similar to my current one. I wear molded ear plugs all the time; is the noise that bad to matter?

The Scorpion felt very good on my head for the minute or two that I was wearing it.

Fred

I also wear custom molded earplugs. I'm wearing a Schuberth S1 and really like it, but it's a lot of money. I've used the Scorpion EXO 700 and think it's a great helmet for the money. Yes, people say it's noisey, but with earplugs in I can't tell the difference. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

I wear regular earplugs with my EXO 700,the noise dosen't bother me at all,infact it seems rather quiet to me compared to my N100E.The anti-fog shield works also.

Bought a Scorpion a couple weeks ago and have been happy with it. My Arai Quantum II isn't any quiter. I talked to a couple of guys with Scorpions at the International Show in L.B. and both said their Scorpions were more quite than the Arai. They highly recommeded the optional chin guard that further quites the helmet. I've got one on order......I'll let you know if it's an improvement.

I have an EXO 700 with the wind skirt thingee and it is not the quietest helmet in the world, but also not the loudest. Great value for the money, quieter than the early Schuberths but definitely louder than an S1. And cheaper.

Last edited:
I was trying a Scorpion at the BMW dealership, and the parts guys came over and said the dealer tried one out, said it was noisy, and that I ought to choose a new Arai similar to my current one.
Never believe for a moment that a dealer has an unbiased opinion. The sale of a $400 helmet puts a LOT more of your cash into his pocket than the sale of a $200 helmet.

In the grand scheme of things the Scorpions plus a good set of earplugs are a fairly good combo. However, there are so many other variables to be included as well. With my particular setup, fairing, seat height, ride angle, I find that my helmet is actually quieter with the visor cracked open slightly. Oh, and the fog coating lasted about 6 months. Time to find a new coating but that is another thread.

JohnHall said:
In the grand scheme of things the Scorpions plus a good set of earplugs are a fairly good combo. However, there are so many other variables to be included as well. With my particular setup, fairing, seat height, ride angle, I find that my helmet is actually quieter with the visor cracked open slightly. Oh, and the fog coating lasted about 6 months. Time to find a new coating but that is another thread.

Fog city shield. I put one on my scorpion a week after I bought it. I KNOW they work, and last as long as the shield.

The Scorpion shields (clear and smoke) are anti-fog and have a two year warranty. If you are having a problem, contact the dealer you purchased it from or Scorpion directly. I've been wearing an 700 and have had no problems with the shield fogging up. (Wish I could say the same thing about my glasses).

Doug

dougv said:
The Scorpion shields (clear and smoke) are anti-fog and have a two year warranty. If you are having a problem, contact the dealer you purchased it from or Scorpion directly. I've been wearing an 700 and have had no problems with the shield fogging up. (Wish I could say the same thing about my glasses).

Doug

I agree, if your shield is fogging then contact Scorpion. I use both a clear and a smoked shield and have used my helmet to ride some 13,500 miles in 15 months and have had zero problems. I think the trick is to clean it with a mild soap, I think I use a weak solution of dish soap and water, clean the outside well and gently and carefully clean the inside.

As for noise, I can't comment because this is the only helmet I've ever owned. Wearing earplugs makes a huge difference, especially at freeway speeds. But at speeds up to 60 mph I usually don't wear plugs and the noise to me is not bothersome. Keep in mind though that I work on F-16s and play in a rock band, so my definition of loud is probably different than most. (Disclaimer: The military tests my hearing once a year and I'm not deaf :) )

JQ

johnnyquest said:
I usually don't wear plugs and the noise to me is not bothersome. Keep in mind though that I work on F-16s and play in a rock band, so my definition of loud is probably different than most. (Disclaimer: The military tests my hearing once a year and I'm not deaf :) )

JQ

JQ, take it from an old guy, you'll be half-deaf in a heart beat if you continue as you are.

Wearing ear plugs isn't nearly as bad as wearing hearing aids and they're a helluva lot cheaper. (My last set cost $3K each and high tech as they were they still left a lot to be desired.) Even if your military employer furnishes them free it ain't a good deal. Please don't think I'm lecturing you, I respect your right to live anyway you choose, but your hearing makes all the difference in the world when it comes to personal safety and general enjoyment of life.

The nasty thing about hearing loss is you can't fix it, once it's gone it's a done deal. From what I've read in these forums I'll bet there's a lot of guys who'll agree with me on this. I hope you'll think about this just a little more. Thanks for listening.....

Larry

:uhoh (huh? whazat?)

I agree about the plugs making it quieter- they make anything quieter- but the Scorpion needs the plugs' help so much more so than the old HJC did. Many sub-freeway but still moderately quick situations were quiet enough not need plugs in the HJC, but the Scorpion starts with the noise at much lower speeds and makes a mighty rumble once it starts. The chin thing to me doesn't help with the noise, only with staying somewhat warmer inside the helmet but even with it in place and all the vents closed there is a still a very strong turbulence between my face and the helmet. And yes I do have the faceshield firmly seated.

Back