• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I wish I had got this job?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Yeah, I know it's a bit of film history but $300,000 to fix up a pair of shoes? :eek

161018-wizard-of-oz-ruby-slippers-146p_8a52d6928e9d1c0635fb5a6ad7acfd4b.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-rainbow-save-ruby-slippers-project-passes-300k-goal-n671916

I guess we can be happy that it was funded by donations. :hungover

OM

According to Wikipedia (oops, almost wrote WikiLeaks!!), there are about 2300 sequins per shoe so 4600 total. Probably what will happen, someone will snip one of those threads and the whole thing will pop sequins across the room. We all know what happens when those circlips fly off our bikes into the unknown reaches of the garage. :banghead Finding each one of those sequins and reassembling might be worth $65 a sequin! ;)

The $300K also includes a new display for the shoes and some of the related memorabilia.

Hey!

This is Hollywierd, so anything goes. :dance

Just flew back from 6 days in the San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley/El Sobrante areas, aka 'Prius Nation.'

Had to completely readjust my parameters of "normalcy" to survive that culture.

Wisconsin looking pretty good right now. :thumb

Hey!

This is Hollywierd, so anything goes. :dance

Just flew back from 6 days in the San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley/El Sobrante areas, aka 'Prius Nation.'

Had to completely readjust my parameters of "normalcy" to survive that culture.

Wisconsin looking pretty good right now. :thumb

Did you click your heels together three times? :D

Hum, wonder what the original person who made these shoes got for sewing all those sequins on the shoes ? Maybe a few dollars....

Theory of Travel

I don't think we are in Kansas any more! ;>)

I have a theory of travel, which could almost be stated as a law.
Whenever I travel outside of the great and sovereign state of Kansas I will encounter some reference to the movie The Wizard of Oz.

Typically it is someone giving a variation of the "not in Kansas anymore" quote when they find out I'm from Kansas. Occasionally it is random Wizard of Oz merchandise in some road side shop. Once, in Rome, Italy, it was a street performer playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." The references are always to the 1939 version with Judy Garland and never to any of the subsequent re-makes or re-imaginings (i.e. 1978's The Wiz with Michael Jackson and Diana Ross).

Maybe, as a resident of the home of Dorothy, I'm hyper-aware of Wizard of Oz references. Maybe this 77 year old movie has had a broader cultural impact than anyone could have imagined.

Did you click your heels together three times? :D

I DID! However, I ended up in Lansing Kansas - another un-worldly place.

(Actually, did drive there in June for three days to visit my son - attending a digital battlefield class at nearby Ft. Leavenworth)

I just can't get a break. :banghead

I'm firing my travel agent. :thumb

Back