• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

700 GS (2013) clutch issues

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Question on clutch. I have 46000 on my clutch and it is slipping in first gear when cold and trying to climb out of my garage up a fairly sharp incline on my driveway. I am thinking of replacing with a Rekluse clutch and was wondering if there is any install tips I should be aware of. I've looked at a couple of You Tube videos on the process and it looks fairly straight forward. Any experience with this process would greatly be appreciated....

Just a thought, you didn't happen to have changed the oil (brand) lately?
Other than that, the Rekluse is supposed to be a great clutch- right through the motorsports industry.
Another of your write-ups would be great.........if you can.
OM

Just a thought, you didn't happen to have changed the oil (brand) lately?
Other than that, the Rekluse is supposed to be a great clutch- right through the motorsports industry.
Another of your write-ups would be great.........if you can.
OM

Omega Man, of course I will be delighted to do a write up, including a step by step install process. I just ordered the clutch this morning from my dealer in St. Louis, (I know, I could have got it more reasonably by buying directly online, but believe in supporting my dealer, especially since I was thinking of ditching the bike for something new until they suggested this cure) so I should get it delivered in about a week or so. Seems I am the first one with a 650/700/800 series GS at the dealership to give this a try, so they are as curious as I am as to how the 700 will feel with the new clutch. Scooter at Gateway BMW has used this type of clutch in several smaller enduro bikes, but not any of the larger bikes. So, as a solution to my increasingly aging left wrist, I hope this is just the solution I need, and will not be cursing the clutch going out at what I consider a relatively tender mileage age as I just may come up with a much needed upgrade.....:)

Great, Thanks :thumb
Should be a fairly easy swap. Rekluse has been at it a long time.
om

Question on clutch. I have 46000 on my clutch and it is slipping in first gear when cold and trying to climb out of my garage up a fairly sharp incline on my driveway. I am thinking of replacing with a Rekluse clutch and was wondering if there is any install tips I should be aware of. I've looked at a couple of You Tube videos on the process and it looks fairly straight forward. Any experience with this process would greatly be appreciated....

Are you using motorcycle oil in the 10--40 weight? Non motorcycle friendly oil made for cars will slip the clutch. I have 158,000 miles on my and still OK with no slipping.

Are you using motorcycle oil in the 10--40 weight? Non motorcycle friendly oil made for cars will slip the clutch. I have 158,000 miles on my and still OK with no slipping.

I have used (with one exception) BMW motorcycle 15/50 for my 45,000 miles of travel. I did use 20/50 Mobile motorcycle oil for a one time on the road change out where I brought along a filter, but purchased the oil at a auto store along the way. Other than that, it's been the BMW preferred oil. I noticed back in July when leaving for the Hamburg rally that I initially had some slippage in first gear getting up the driveway. Really wasn't sure if the clutch slipped or what, as it never did it during the 3000 mile ride, which was both onroad and off. Last couple of weeks it's been happening more often when popping the clutch when cold. Anyway, I agree that 45000 miles is premature for a slipping clutch, but do not attribute it to the oil as I noticed it before I used the one time Mobile motorcycle oil change out. Probably my own fault due to slipping it too much in off road situations or practicing slow speed turns. I tend to slip it quite a bit and have smelled some burning in the past.....

Make sure you have clutch lever play. I like more that recommended.
Yes, and that may be a big part of my problem. My clutch lever play did get too tight over about 12000 miles of riding. My own fault for not noticing it but I was just having too much fun and it got away from me. Once I replace with the Rekluse, it states as a mater of maintenance to check monthly. That will be at the top of my maintenance list from now on......

Back