• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First world tour on a K100LT 1990

I left a week ago Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for my first major stop in Honduras at La Ceiba for some scuba diving and set-up a new residency at Calm Waters resort. From there, I'll do the Americas, then Asia and Europe and Africa. All went well up to the point were I tried to get an oil change. Its seems that dealers are not interested in changing oil to an older bike or like in Louisville availability is 12 days down the road. Common guys only an oil change. I can't spend 12 days at the hotel for an oil change. They dont care. Business must be to good. The dealer in Knoxville was clear about their policy. WE DO NOT WORK ON BIKES OLDER THAN 10 YEARS. The magical excuse is: WE DO NOT HAVE THE TOOLING FOR THESE OLD BIKES. But at least he directed me to an X-EMPLOYEE who could change the oil. His nome is Corbin from Friendsville. He can be reached at 865-255-2188. Great guy. He accepted immediately to service my bike. Hoped that Dealers would have more respect towards the older bike. Can't change oil!!!
Denis Cote
Menber 171040

Welcome and thanks for the post! Keep us apprised of your trip as things go along.

Adventure forthcoming...... !

Wishing you good look Denis. You gotta have "money to burn" if your paying for dealership oil changes on a 1990 bike for the journey you have planned!
Please consider saving some "moo-lah" for major systems repair/replacement. And the unplanned expensive lodging while that's happening.

And remember... the difference between Adversity & Adventure.... is Attitude.

"travel'n" john

Last edited:
Oil change

Apart from removing and replacing the tupperware on the LT - an oil change can be done with the following tools;

• appropriate screwdriver
  • metric allen wrenches - for the drain plug and the sealing panel
  • oil filter tool for removing and replacing the recessed oil filter - commonly available from any dealership
  • a generic drain pan
  • a new filter
  • oil

So the dealer's statement is patently absurd and probably spoken by an unknowledgeable service writer.

Since you are going on a long ride, if I were you I'd at least buy some filters and toss them into your pannier - there are numerous youtube videos on how to do this yourself... if you are so inclined.

Sad but true, MANY shops nowadays will refuse to work on older stuff - there's less profit margin when you compare the shop time that could be used on a customer's newer purchase, plus it may require a "special tool" that the dealer no longer has the space for or interest in owning. Das Faktory is certainly not alone here.

Two alternatives to doing it yourself in a parking lot or campsite somewhere: locate a "non-authorized" shop where the mechanic has previous BMW experience (Kurt put together a listing of these - refer to his Resources & Links page https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?47142-Resources-and-Links, and there are certainly more out there than what is presently shown), or whip out that Anonymous Book: many of us will let you use our driveway, tools, or garage for a quickie transfusion.

Any shop that claims they won't change oil in a K100 because they lack the "tooling" either has an idiot for an owner, or a fool for a service manager. Sure, don't agree to overhaul a transmission if your mechanic doesn't know how, but an oil change? Really? Are you kidding me? Scratch these dudes off my places to trust list.

Back