• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Software updates

jeffkyle

Is there a list posted anywhere showing the software updates for each year bike? Would I be able to use the gs911 to see what the current software version is on the bike ?

Is there a list posted anywhere showing the software updates for each year bike? Would I be able to use the gs911 to see what the current software version is on the bike ?

The GS-911 will tell you what the factory I-level was and what the actual I-level is.

Mine shows this:

Factory I-Level: K024-07-02-500
Actual I-Level: K024-15-07-500

Unfortunately only the dealer can update/program it.

The GS-911 will tell you what the factory I-level was and what the actual I-level is.

Mine shows this:

Factory I-Level: K024-07-02-500
Actual I-Level: K024-15-07-500

Unfortunately only the dealer can update/program it.

Thanks. I understand only the dealer can apply the updates... i was just trying to figure out if i needed to make an appointment to go to the dealer for an update. i was hoping there was a list of all the updates, and what they actually did.... and i was hoping i would be able to use the gs911 to see where my bike's firmware actually is. thanks.

uh...not every update fixes or improves stuff. For example, if VW ever releases another diesel software update as part of the dieselgate fixes, it will almost certainly degrade mileage and performance. Be careful about what dealer you let play with the ECU programming if you really think you need to address something.

Under the ECU section the GS-911 will show you what you want to know but I know of no easily accessible list of software versions.

Thanks. I understand only the dealer can apply the updates... i was just trying to figure out if i needed to make an appointment to go to the dealer for an update. i was hoping there was a list of all the updates, and what they actually did.... and i was hoping i would be able to use the gs911 to see where my bike's firmware actually is. thanks.

Dealer should be able to answer question whether there is anything you need to come in for. They shouldn't have to have your bike to do that.

uh...not every update fixes or improves stuff. For example, if VW ever releases another diesel software update as part of the dieselgate fixes, it will almost certainly degrade mileage and performance. Be careful about what dealer you let play with the ECU programming if you really think you need to address something.

Under the ECU section the GS-911 will show you what you want to know but I know of no easily accessible list of software versions.

From what I understand, the dealer won't hook up the computer unless you're paying for it. I wonder if it automatically updates?

From what I understand, the dealer won't hook up the computer unless you're paying for it. I wonder if it automatically updates?

Mine was done because they had to hookup my bike to their computer when I changed my rear strut.

I thought that because the GS-911 scan would not report that my bike was equipped with ESA, that they accidentally deleted the function when they diagnosed that my rear strut was defective.
I went back to the dealer and they reprogrammed the ECU thus giving me the latest update. I realized later that it was a bug in the GS-911 software that was causing the ESA not showing up and it was not their fault.(Oops!) So I ended up with a free update.
If I didn't have a GS-911, I would not know that my software has been updated. I don't see any difference.

Software updates should not be done without a specific reason. Apparently the Hexheads (I don't know if it's the case for the Camheads and the Wetheads) have a limit on how many times the ECU can be updated but nobody seems to know exactly how many times.

Mine was done because they had to hookup my bike to their computer when I changed my rear strut.

I thought that because the GS-911 scan would not report that my bike was equipped with ESA, that they accidentally deleted the function when they diagnosed that my rear strut was defective.
I went back to the dealer and they reprogrammed the ECU thus giving me the latest update. I realized later that it was a bug in the GS-911 software that was causing the ESA not showing up and it was not their fault.(Oops!) So I ended up with a free update.
If I didn't have a GS-911, I would not know that my software has been updated. I don't see any difference.

Software updates should not be done without a specific reason. Apparently the Hexheads (I don't know if it's the case for the Camheads and the Wetheads) have a limit on how many times the ECU can be updated but nobody seems to know exactly how many times.

Mine's never been done.

Back