• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I've obviously done something wrong - '75 R75/6 centerstand springs

Jeff488

Aspiring Profligate
Apparently I should have taken photos of this before disassembly!

These show the only way I've been able to figure out how to assemble the springs. They don't hold the stand up; they hold it down.:banghead
So, someone please show me the path of righteousness on this. I have searched a lot for photos showing proper installation before posting this.

Left side.
Left side centerstand.jpg

Right side.
Rt side centerstand.jpg

Thanks very much.
Jeff

I don't know why it would matter, but the springs on my R60/6 are reversed from your photos. The end with the coiled spring right next to the hook is attached to the frame and the end with the long straight run before the hook is attached at the stand. Maybe the spring windings are touching the stand as it rises and prevent it from going all the way up.

Thanks for the reply.
The springs actually pull the stand down to the floor.
I'm stumped.

Try turning the springs around so the long straight piece is towards the rear. Then report back.

Incredible.
That's my report.
:bow:bow

Reversing the springs might not have been the last thing I'd have tried, but close.

Ok, now to take photos so I can put it up for sale.
Thanks very much.

Bad news they are backwards, good news you only need one spring when they are right. They are a huge POA to put on, almost impossible on the left side. I think you might have to pull the bolt and take the tab off but it works fine with one spring.

Last edited:
Yup, it did work ok with one spring, but there were two, and it offended my sense of symmetry.
Also, there are attachment points for two.
Furthermore, lchris would be shocked to see the lack of what the mother ship clearly deemed essential to the rightness of western civilization.

All that aside, I appreciate the help.:dance

centerstand springs

Yup, it did work ok with one spring, but there were two, and it offended my sense of symmetry.
Also, there are attachment points for two.
Furthermore, lchris would be shocked to see the lack of what the mother ship clearly deemed essential to the rightness of western civilization.

All that aside, I appreciate the help.:dance

Glad to hear you got the stand to stay up, not down. I was beginning to suspect you owned a Southern Hemisphere bike in the USA, but maybe not. :scratch

Friedle

Back