• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

hot battery

KARSTEN

I noticed this afternoon that my new to me '95 K75S has the wires for a battery tender plus, since I have not ridden the bike in weeks, I pugged it up and several hours later, when attempting to park it back in the garage after changing brake fluid, nothing. Bike won't start. Did a little digging, the wire from the tender harness is only attached to the positive battery terminal and battery is hot to the touch. Just to be cautious, I undid all wires from negative terminal. My plan is to let things cool and reattach all wires including the negative for the tender harness.Long story short: only positive lead from tender was attached to positive battery terminal, negative wire from tender harness not attached to anything, battery hot to touch. Anything I need to be on guard for?

I noticed this afternoon that my new to me '95 K75S has the wires for a battery tender plus,
"New to me".....was it the charger that came with the bike- or one you had from a previous bike?
since I have not ridden the bike in weeks, I pugged it up and several hours later, when attempting to park it back in the garage after changing brake fluid, nothing. Bike won't start. Did a little digging, the wire from the tender harness is only attached to the positive battery terminal and battery is hot to the touch.
I'd check for proper wiring of the Battery Tender.
Did the bike crank? if it did crank, it could make the battery hot from the draw. I would see how old the battery is or was and make sure all connections are clean and tight.
Just to be cautious, I undid all wires from negative terminal. My plan is to let things cool and reattach all wires including the negative for the tender harness.Long story short: only positive lead from tender was attached to positive battery terminal, negative wire from tender harness not attached to anything, battery hot to touch. Anything I need to be on guard for?
Was the BT wire attached- possibly while cranking? It could have got hot and melted off. The BT's really don't like to be used as a "jump starter".
Sometimes a takt to the previous owner- if possible, can save time with the idiosyncrasies of a machine.
OM

Have you verified the polarity of all connections? Was the connector to which you attached the battery tender a proprietary connector or generic SAE connector? Sound suspiciously like the polarity was reversed between the tender and the battery.
Best,
DG

"New to me".....was it the charger that came with the bike- or one you had from a previous bike?

I'd check for proper wiring of the Battery Tender.
Did the bike crank? if it did crank, it could make the battery hot from the draw. I would see how old the battery is or was and make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Was the BT wire attached- possibly while cranking? It could have got hot and melted off. The BT's really don't like to be used as a "jump starter".
Sometimes a takt to the previous owner- if possible, can save time with the idiosyncrasies of a machine.
OM

The tender is new, the wires for it were already installed on the bike by prior owner, one of them,I got the bike to crank one time, nothing after that. Battery is a sealed Panasonic, non vented.I do not think the BT was attached when attempted to start but it is possible. The wire did not melt off, It has round "eye" at the cable end and simply was not fastened to anything.

Have you verified the polarity of all connections? Was the connector to which you attached the battery tender a proprietary connector or generic SAE connector? Sound suspiciously like the polarity was reversed between the tender and the battery.
Best,
DG

Yes, the connector was proprietary, one of the previous owners must have used same brand as mine, that is why I did not check to see if everything was connected properly and just plugged the charger in. So, am reasonably sure polarity was not reversed. The negative end of the harness was simply not attached to anything. It has a round "eye' on the end of negative wire that is supposed to be attached to negative battery terminal. It was not attached.

OK, sounds like a weak battery that didn't benefit from your attempted charging. Not sure on the Panasonic batteries, might be good to make sure the BT that you have is comparable with that particular charger.
I find that over three years in my F800 is getting risky. The battery does do better with a Battery Tender, even if just hooked up monthly.
OM

Puzzle solved, I think. So, what happened is that when thinking the tender was maintaining the battery, it was not, because only part of harness was attached to battery. When I attempted to start bike, with flat , uncharged battery, the points, contacts in the starter relay fused, which would cause battery to get extremely hot, relay now is stuck on "engage/start".Sure am glad I unplugged everything from negative battery terminal once I noticed the battery getting hot !
New battery and starter relay on order, I understand this is a common K bike issue and the relays can most of the time be brought back to life.Got a new coming... just in case.

and another update; got my new Wesco battery and starter relay two days ago.got a chance today to put new parts in and turned ignition on, bike turned over twice but would not start.I double checked all my connection and discovered did not plug tank harness back up. Corrected that and tried again, when key is off clock works, turn key all the way to push start button and clock goes off. Only headlight, tail light turn signals andABS light on dash work. When I push start button bike will not even attempt to turn over, no noises, only lights are on, bike acts like there is no power going to anything but head lights with ignition on.Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Some opposite possibilites: one is a bad connection or open in a circuit. Another more dangerous is a short to ground. Be careful about the battery getting hot again, just sitting there. They have been known to explode when subjected to a shorted condition.

Brian, that link will come in handy, will use it to chase the gremlin down this afternoon. While the tank is off the bike will clean and coat the electrical connection. I do not mind working on mechanical things, different story with chasing electrical problems. I guess it just takes the right mindset.

for the last hour and a half pulled all connectors apart, inspected, cleaned where it was needed, plugged everything back up and bike starts first at the push of the button. The way it ought to be.Don't know what was the culprit but it works now.

for the last hour and a half pulled all connectors apart, inspected, cleaned where it was needed, plugged everything back up and bike starts first at the push of the button. The way it ought to be.Don't know what was the culprit but it works now.
It knew you were going to round up your posse from the forum and "get mean".
becca.gif

OM

Back