• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires -Avon Storm 3D X-M

jwhitfield

Has anyone any experience with these tires? Met a member of the Southern Cali Motorcycle Ass'n (SCMA) in Kimberley BC this weekend who swears by them as a high mileage tire. I've been using PR 4 GTs and I'm not getting the 12k miles everyone else seems to be getting. I've settled on 42psi front and 44psi rear as I always have bags and my 205lb body on board. Just heading out form Cranbrook BC to Texas the east to Florida and I'm putting 'something' new on before we go. Thanks - Strips

Has anyone any experience with these tires? Met a member of the Southern Cali Motorcycle Ass'n (SCMA) in Kimberley BC this weekend who swears by them as a high mileage tire. I've been using PR 4 GTs and I'm not getting the 12k miles everyone else seems to be getting. I've settled on 42psi front and 44psi rear as I always have bags and my 205lb body on board. Just heading out form Cranbrook BC to Texas the east to Florida and I'm putting 'something' new on before we go. Thanks - Strips

Tons of tire threads that arte K1600 specific over at k1600forum.com
General consensus is PR3/4s for longevity.

Hi from Golden!
I have used the PR4GTs but only get about 10-11000km out of a rear and 16000 from the front. No idea about the Avons though but tons of info in this section of the K1600 forum
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/
Let us know what you decide
Bruce in Golden BC

Just my $.02.
I have never had good luck with Michelin on any BMW I have owned....and I have owned a few.
My tire of choice is Metzler and recently the RoadTec 01 in the HWM spec but they have not been available.
I had the Z8 Interacts and got about 7,500 before they turned baloney-skinned (a technical term)
I recently put on a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" spec on my K16GT and have been very happy in all respect.
Previously I had them on a K1200RS and got around 9K out of them. I ran book recommended pressures F & R

But tire life and performance is dependant on a whole bunch of variable factors.

Thanks to all

All helpful but the comment that hit home is 'performance dependent'. I do enjoy my torque and probably a little faster than most. ;-) I will go over to the K1600 Forum and check that out before deciding but I think I will try the Avons. Thanks - Jim

all is well here but the weather has not been great for the last week so very little riding unfortunately. Off to get the 30 000km service at Blackfoot Motorsports on Monday--will see how much that sets me back !
Look out for my 1600GT in dark graphite metallic on the roads!

My nickname is 'Strips' :)

If what I hear is true best be sitting down when you get your bill! I try to do as much as I can and I've learned lots. Out of warranty though so that makes a big difference. I will look for you and you can look for me - red with a black tail case. Be safe.

By the way - I ordered that Storms after a fairly in depth probe of the net.

All helpful but the comment that hit home is 'performance dependent'. I do enjoy my torque and probably a little faster than most. ;-) I will go over to the K1600 Forum and check that out before deciding but I think I will try the Avons. Thanks - Jim

One of the big factors in motorcycle tire wear, is how fast you accelerate and how fast you decelerate. If you enjoy your torque as you say, nothing will get you the tire mileage you want. But then you bought a bike with a six-cylinder engine. What would you expect? :)

Chris

Back