• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1971 R60/5 shifting issues

I've been having a blast riding the ( new to me) R60 but down shifting has been a bit of a challenge. It is restored bike with 750 jugs and carbs, 500miles on the engine, 75,000 miles on the clock, not sure about the tranny...
Upshifts are smooth and easy every time but downshifts are spotty.
I know the bikes are known for being notchy but it should be a bit easier than this. I've tried preloading and blipping the throttle to synch the engine and tranny speeds and it seems to help a bit but many times it goes from third into a false neutral. Today I got into neutral, with the light off, so false neutral, and then the bike would not go into gear up or down. I pushed it off the road and played with the shifter until it finally engaged and got into first gear. It worked perfectly after that for the rest of the ride approx. 20 miles of stop and go. no missed downshifts at all. strange. I guess the only thing to do is to remove the tranny and get it looked at.
Any ideas of what could be the cause?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1971R60 5.jpg
    1971R60 5.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 118
The picture suggests its running a little lean

Not to change the subject but the left exhaust header seems to be a little more blue than I would be comfortable with, you might want to make sure the carbs are synced, correct spark plugs and richen it up a little.

Now for the uncomfortable down shift issue. I wouldn't panic on the clunky shift and poor quality down shift especially with and old airhead. None of my /2's or airheads like the hard down shift to slow down. Even my newer bikes, 03 1100S, GSA, HP-2 E and R 9T hate to be down shifted and all clunk up shifting 65% of the time, its the nature of the beast. You simply should not run these bikes up and down the range of gears the way you would with most other bikes its not good for them.

Use the brakes to slow down and slowly and gently but firmly down shift as needed according to ground speed and road conditions.

Not to change the subject but the left exhaust header seems to be a little more blue than I would be comfortable with, you might want to make sure the carbs are synced, correct spark plugs and richen it up a little.

Now for the uncomfortable down shift issue. I wouldn't panic on the clunky shift and poor quality down shift especially with and old airhead. None of my /2's or airheads like the hard down shift to slow down. Even my newer bikes, 03 1100S, GSA, HP-2 E and R 9T hate to be down shifted and all clunk up shifting 65% of the time, its the nature of the beast. You simply should not run these bikes up and down the range of gears the way you would with most other bikes its not good for them.

Use the brakes to slow down and slowly and gently but firmly down shift as needed according to ground speed and road conditions.

My concern was mostly that the transmission got stuck in neutral and would not go into any gear up or down. Does that mean there is something wrong and I should not ride the bike or is that normal? My 77 r100rs is clunky but never did this and my 1981 R100cs is very smooth up and down.
Thanks

Pawl spring

Louie -

If the transmission is stuck in one gear, then it sounds like you have a problem. Namely, the $0.50 pawl spring has broken. Search these pages for the word "pawl".

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transmission.htm
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/emergency-shifting-tool.htm

The pawl spring problem only occurs with the 5-speed transmission.
Another possibility with the 4-speed is that the eccentrics that adjust the shift forks may not have been adjusted correctly.

Thanks guys,
I got the bike to go back into gear by rolling it back and forth, engine off, and playing with the shifter. After it went into gear, it worked fine for many shifts.
I just spoke to the airhead mechanic who put the bike together and he said the problem is that I am shifting too softly. The older airheads should be shifted firmly with more force than the newer 5-speed transmissions.
He said if I am too gentle on the down shift, the gears won't engage properly and hence the false neutral between 2nd and 3rd. It is supposed to sound loud and clanky. lol.
Since it went into gear and is shifting fine now, there probably isn't anything wrong with it I'm told.
"drive it like you stole it" lol.

cheers

Louie

Drive it like you stole it generally doesn't fly well on these old machines. You'll probably find down shifting easier once you learn the engine rpm that matches the speed/gear you're trying get into.

Pre-loading the gear selector is an "up shift" technique. RPM-matching (not "blipping") is down shift; almost a necessity when dropping into first (if you're inclined to down shift that far).

Last edited:
Not sure, but I have found that my (R100/7) shifting worked better when I took a little more slack out of the clutch cable. This opens up the clutch a little farther and offers less "drag" on the shifting mechanism. Be careful, though, taking too much slack out could keep the clutch partially open maybe causing slipping under normal loads.

Back