• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth for GPS, Phone, Music and has a built-in FM radio

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I was pretty well set on the Sena 20S.

But since I ride solo and even if I didn't I really do not need or want the bike to bike or rider to passenger communication aspect of the Sena 20S.

What is out there that has good sound quality and that only does the following and that will work with my

• BMW Navigator V GPS
  • will play my MP3 music stored on my Navigator V
  • cell phone
  • and has a built-in FM radio

Thanks!

I just had a look at the Revzilla site and their video and that unit (even though it is also a communication system) looks interesting in that it mounts nicely in certain helmets for a totally enclosed installation.

It is supposed to be available for the Shoei NeoTec but their page isn't loading at the moment.

Do you wear foam ear plugs and if you do, where on the volume scale do you need to set it to hear your GPS and phone.

I am reading reviews. Some criticize the speakers.

I use custom molded earplugs and hear everything perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, with my windscreen up, I need to turn down the volume.
There is no volume scale per se but I can say that it is not turned up to a 10...would be much too loud. I would guess 7. In the rare instance I forget to bring my earplugs, I would guess the volume for music would be at a 5.
A great feature of this Sena unit is that it remembers your volume setting for each device and always returns to your last setting when the unit is turned on.
I think the complaints are with the quality of the speaker itself. I think they expect half dollar size speakers to sound like the Magneplanars in their man cave.
For me, my K1600GT is the first motorcycle I have had that has music capability. And just having that sound is a treat to me.
For phone calls and GPS prompt, its more than adequate.

^ I just downloaded the Sena 10U User's Guide.

If I go for it, I'll probably place the remote inboard of my controls on my R1200 GS Adventure LC.
I wish the remote came in a surface mount style so that I could Velcro it to a flat surface.

^ I just downloaded the Sena 10U User's Guide.

If I go for it, I'll probably place the remote inboard of my controls on my R1200 GS Adventure LC.
I wish the remote came in a surface mount style so that I could Velcro it to a flat surface.

They have what they call a "Wrist Remote" which can be mounted on a flat surface.
They might be able to substitute one for the other if you talk to them.

BTW...the actual installation into the helmet takes all of 10 mins....its a breeze.

They have what they call a "Wrist Remote" which can be mounted on a flat surface.
They might be able to substitute one for the other if you talk to them.

BTW...the actual installation into the helmet takes all of 10 mins....its a breeze.

Information overload I guess after seeing all the Sena accessories. I spotted that remote earlier today.

Well the Sena 10U looked very appealing, but after thinking about it, I wasn't keen on a helmet specific model should I decide to change helmets.

So I am all over the map on these Bluetooth communicators so far. But since I am in no rush, no big deal and I am getting to know what is out there by talking to people here and at the local dealer.

I talked to a rider who had a Sena 10R on his helmet the other day and it looked nice and compact, plus it came with the Sena 20S speakers. I can also order it without the handlebar remote and then get the wrist remote that I would surface mount somewhere on the motorcycle if I thought I needed it.

The Cardo Qz and Q1 (same as Qz but includes a radio) would do what I need (I don't need bike to bike or even rider to passenger communications) but for a bit more, I can have something like the Sena 10R with the option to communicate if I so choose.

Thanks for all the input so far. The Sena 10R looks like it might be the one.

Well the Sena 10U looked very appealing, but after thinking about it, I wasn't keen on a helmet specific model should I decide to change helmets.

I thought about that too.
When it comes time to get another helmet, I'll get another NeoTec...I've been a Shoei guy forever.

Alex, while I really like the 10U for all the obvious reasons, and the lack of anything external, I currently have an SMH10 and haven't upgraded to a 20S or 10S because I have three helmets that are current and two that I wear regularly, depending on what I'm riding. I just used additional mounting kits ($32 each incl speakers, mics, etc) for the other helmets.

The SMH10 and 10S both use the same mount so it will work with the 10S as well, but for $62 there is a 10S specific kit with the 10S/10R/20S speakers rather than the SMH10 speakers. As you mentioned, that is one issue with the 10U for the NeoTech having to use the SMH10 speakers. Having said that, I find the SMH10 speakers are fine for my purposes, so it is really owner choice/preference.

Regarding people having trouble with the sound, as has been said, some are expecting top-end home Hi-Fi quality for some strange reason. Why, I'm not sure as even my C3 which is very quiet for any helmet but still has enough noise that the Sena speakers work very well even with ear-plugs in. Again, to each their own. The only other issue people might have is improper placement of the speakers. For the best sound quality one needs to spend some time and have another person there to assist in doing "trial and error" fittings for the best and clearest sound before putting everything back together. Never had any trouble with sound levels and never turn it above perhaps 70%, even when I was using my old Nolan which was louder than my current HJC, Arai and Schuberth helmets.

Because I switch helmets I want something that is easily moved from helmet to helmet. For that, I think the 20S and 10S are the two best choices, but for someone who is quite sure they'll be staying with one specific helmet for quite some time, than I think it comes down to personal preferences. It appears that the 10R is wired in, but I could be mistaken.

I have no interest in the remote (which I believe will work with all the new 10/20 models) as the 20S and 10S have the easy to find and use phone button and jog dial, however, a friend of mine who just got a 20S did not want to bother with the short learning curve (he had it installed the day he left for a two week trip and therefore also purchased the remote and loves it). For me, I've got a few helmets and several bikes so I prefer as simple and neat as possible to make things easier. ;-)

Have a look at the new Sena 10S. It's the revised version of the venerable SMH-10. I bought one this Spring as an "upgrade" to my original SMH-10. The 10S has what you're looking for, including FM radio. That said, I never use the FM. If I want to listen to music, I just access the music I have stored on my iPhone, which is in my tank bag. I also use custom-molded earbuds, so I did not install the speakers, which easily unplug (or more accurately, I never plugged in to begin with). I have a Nav V on my GSA, so I have the GPS, iPhone and Sena 10S paired. And, from time to time, I also have a Sena Prism paired as well.

Back