• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800GS sprockets

fishbmw

I am looking at getting an F800GS, but notice they start turning some serious rpms after 55mph and get buzzy. I would like to set one up for long distance travel, has anyone replaced sprockets to reduce rpms and if so what combo seemed to work best?

I am looking at getting an F800GS, but notice they start turning some serious rpms after 55mph and get buzzy. I would like to set one up for long distance travel, has anyone replaced sprockets to reduce rpms and if so what combo seemed to work best?

My 700 GS doesn't start getting buzzy till about 80 mph. The 800 is very similar to the 700, so I'm not sure where the information comes from about serious rpms at 55. I turn somewhere in the 300 to 400rpm range in sixth gear at 55mph.

My 700 GS doesn't start getting buzzy till about 80 mph. The 800 is very similar to the 700, so I'm not sure where the information comes from about serious rpms at 55. I turn somewhere in the 300 to 400rpm range in sixth gear at 55mph.
Sorry, that's 3000 to 4000 rpm range. I checked it this morning and at 55 mph on the speedo, I was just barely turning 3000 rpm. Didn't get up to 5000 rpms until touching 80, which is about 76 actual mph based on my gps. So like the comment above, ride one before you decide....

Sorry, that's 3000 to 4000 rpm range. I checked it this morning and at 55 mph on the speedo, I was just barely turning 3000 rpm. Didn't get up to 5000 rpms until touching 80, which is about 76 actual mph based on my gps. So like the comment above, ride one before you decide....
We knew what you meant :wave
Rumor has it the nit-pickers were planning an attack though :rofl :rofl
OM

BTW, I agree on riding before switching anything.
I did switch a tooth on the TW, with the brute power of the whopping 16hp, it was nice to be able to get through an intersection without having to shift :wave

I think 3000 RPM in 6th gear is a bit slow. I'd keep the engine closer to 3800-4000 RPM in 4th - 6th gears. Just an opinion.

We knew what you meant :wave
Rumor has it the nit-pickers were planning an attack though :rofl :rofl
OM

BTW, I agree on riding before switching anything.
I did switch a tooth on the TW, with the brute power of the whopping 16hp, it was nice to be able to get through an intersection without having to shift :wave

I hate to disapoint you but your TW put out 12 h.p. I had 3 of them, I now have a yamaha xt250 that puts 17.5 h.p. which is noticabally more powerful than the TW. My 75 h.p. f700gs is more enjoyable than the rest of my bikes, including the fjr1300.

I hate to disapoint you but your TW put out 12 h.p. I had 3 of them, I now have a yamaha xt250 that puts 17.5 h.p. which is noticabally more powerful than the TW. My 75 h.p. f700gs is more enjoyable than the rest of my bikes, including the fjr1300.

Might have to drop 'nother tooth :hungover
OM

There are those out to crush the dreams of others. I wonder..............I'm I wasting my time with Sunoco's 94 octane? :burnout
OM

I appreciate the info. I did test ride one, and compared to my F650GS twin, it runs 500 rpms more at the same speed. Why I asked.

The F800 is intended to be more of an off pavement bike then the 650. My wife has both and has no issues riding either at the highway speeds of Montana.

I lowered the ratio on my F800GS with a smaller 15T front sprocket to make it better for slow speed off road riding. I find it is still just fine at highway speeds. Runs about 5000 rpm at 120 km/h.

I went up a tooth on my F8GS, which is what is factory on the F/650-700 (800) GS. Not so much for highway but to give me more speed range in 2nd and 3rd, which is where I spend most of the time in the Smokey's twisties.

Going from the 16 to a 17 drops the RPM about 6%, so 5K is now 4.7K RPM etc.

Install F650gs twin sprockets, front and back.

Back