• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A First For Me

shortythorne

shortythorne
I realize that lane splitting is legal in certain places (not trying to re-hash that thread), but I wanted to share the scary experience I had while riding in southeastern Georgia yesterday. I'll admit that I wasn't as alert as I probably should have been, and maybe it wouldn't have startled me had I been paying more attention. Paul & I were stopped at a traffic light with some traffic, but not heavy, as it was just a really small town. He is in front of me and to the right of the lane, I am staggered to the left of the lane about half a car length back. I hear a straight pipe m/c somewhere behind me, but I cannot see him in my mirror so I did not think too much about it until we start to move when the light changes. The next thing I notice is this big Harley with his right handle bar literally inches from my left handle bar :eek. He slowly rides past me, gives me a nod after looking the bike over, and then gets between me & Paul. He then just cuts over in front of the left lane traffic and rides past Paul and really takes off. I am sure if we had been on Harleys, he wouldn't have done it, but I just really don't see the point at all. I guess it's my Southern raising, but I think it is rude to get in front of someone just because I can, like I am way too important to wait like everyone else. I am not lane splitting...ever. I really felt like he set a really bad example of what I stand for as a motorcyclist, knowing he pissed off the other vehicles he cut in front of, including me. I don't care if it is legal or not, it is stupid behavior. There are so many things that could have gone wrong with this move he made. If someone wants to ride stupid, fine, but don't include me in it. Just gave me another reason to have a growing lack of respect for the "typical" Harley rider. Like there is not enough things you have to worry about while riding, you also have to watch out for idiots on motorcycles! Off my soap box now:).

Gail, Your frustration and disgust are understandable and appropriate. What you described is not lane splitting by any reasonable person's definition. Bad manners is a rather genteel way of characterize it.

Gail, just glad you are still with us and IN LINE for a very long time to gather miles and miles..........The Harley folks are what they are. Mainly, perhaps, a very short life span. While you, the GENTELE SUTHRN LADY, are like that Eveready battery. Just keepin on and keepin on being one of those GRITS while you reel in those miles........God bless........Dennis

Sadly, when we lament bad biker behavior, we have to accept that ~15x more pirate bikes are sold each year in the US than those ridden by the ATGATT community.

Pretty naive to think this behavior is only seen with Harley riders. I see it with sport bikes, and even BMW riders.

Glad it didn't cause a crash. Never good to see someone that close uninvited.

Have seen that move before, not cool, and it was power rangers on sport bikes .

Still not sure what i think of "lane splitting" (although I don't live in California or commute into or out of NYC), and I think it sounds like this dude was being a king dick.

BUT, out here in Pennsyltuckey, there's herds and herds of riders of these (HD) bikes. Mostly, they ravel slowly, come in packs, and ride far enough apart from one another that the only way to get around them is threading your way up and thru. Never done it "in traffic", but I admit to working my way thru vast, slow herds of lumbering beasts (on their motorcycles) on occasion. The goldwing "trike" riders... same thing. Slow moving, big spaces between bikes. It's nearly impossible to pass em all at once.

Still not sure what i think of "lane splitting" (although I don't live in California or commute into or out of NYC), and I think it sounds like this dude was being a king dick.

BUT, out here in Pennsyltuckey, there's herds and herds of riders of these (HD) bikes. Mostly, they ravel slowly, come in packs, and ride far enough apart from one another that the only way to get around them is threading your way up and thru. Never done it "in traffic", but I admit to working my way thru vast, slow herds of lumbering beasts (on their motorcycles) on occasion. The goldwing "trike" riders... same thing. Slow moving, big spaces between bikes. It's nearly impossible to pass em all at once.

Off the interstates, it's nearly impossible to pass these herds of slow as a group. Unfortunately, they apparently get scared when the pack is broken to separate mini-herds and, therefore, are resistant to letting faster traffic work their way thru herd by passing a few herdettes at a time. It really annoys me when one of the tribe decides to block traffic at an intersection so the whole herd can ride thru the light without stopping. That is just pure class.

Luckily, I can usually find a road with curves or a lack of bars within a few miles and take an alternate path.

https://nytrafficticket.com/new-york-motorcycle-laws/

From that web article:

"We now turn to safe operation (VTL Section 1252). All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane of traffic. However, the law DOES allow motorcyclists to drive two abreast in a single lane. Other drivers shall not deprive a motorcyclist of the full use of a lane."

In New York, and probably everywhere, a motorcyclist is entitled to the full use of a lane. Any sharing of a lane with another motorcyclist can be considered illegal unless there is an understanding and approval between the two motorcyclists (that's how I read the law).

This is another reason I'm not fond of group rides where some soak up multiple beers and then want to blow past you in your lane...

Harry

FNG' here, but long time lane splitter in CA.
That would be called "filtering" to the front. While not illegal here, certainly/hopefully not done with max DB.
Some bikes OTOH tend to make a bit of noise whenever they are running so I can't hold that against them.

BTW, you prolly knew this - Your Guv just introduced a bill that mimics the just "passed into law" lanesplitting/filtering rules that exist here.

To propose a different opinion; consider this - how long did you "own" that piece of tarmac that you were just on? Solving that riddle has eliminated all but a few RR scenarios..

FNG' here, but long time lane splitter in CA.

Welcome to the forum:wave

Filtering and LS has been a norm so long in CA that folks understand and for the most part tolerate it regardless of the language in the law.
Have been many times and if my bike(GSA with Micatech cases) was narrower, would have done it more...especially the filtering part.
Now getting strafed by a group of Ducatistas on the 1 in the twisties is just a bit over the top...if you don't have a clear vision line...what are you doing:banghead I am looking at my line in the turns and shouldn't have to be mirror or head checking as has happened more than not. It isn't track day...but seems to be.

Most other states and especially the southern tier, it never goes well. Even on a bicycle, you will get a door on occasion presented your way...or a swerve and a swear.
What this yo-yo did was not a filtering attempt as there were folks occupying the space already...I just consider that rude thoughtless behavior...and Gail should have given him the boot! ( Metaphorically speaking of course :whistle )

Last edited:
I just consider that rude thoughtless behavior...and Gail should have given him the boot! ( Metaphorically speaking of course :whistle )

I actually thought about giving him a little kick, but it all happened so fast and at first I thought he might be trying to tell me something was wrong with my bike :dunno. When I realized he was just a jerk, I began to think I could actually shoot him in the back of the head from where I was :evil. The thing is, when something like this happens, it takes your mind off your riding which isn't a good thing.

I actually thought about giving him a little kick, but it all happened so fast and at first I thought he might be trying to tell me something was wrong with my bike :dunno. When I realized he was just a jerk, I began to think I could actually shoot him in the back of the head from where I was :evil. The thing is, when something like this happens, it takes your mind off your riding which isn't a good thing.

Just lost all credibility with me :hungover
OM

https://nytrafficticket.com/new-york-motorcycle-laws/

From that web article:

"We now turn to safe operation (VTL Section 1252). All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane of traffic. However, the law DOES allow motorcyclists to drive two abreast in a single lane. Other drivers shall not deprive a motorcyclist of the full use of a lane."

In New York, and probably everywhere, a motorcyclist is entitled to the full use of a lane. Any sharing of a lane with another motorcyclist can be considered illegal unless there is an understanding and approval between the two motorcyclists (that's how I read the law).

This is another reason I'm not fond of group rides where some soak up multiple beers and then want to blow past you in your lane...

Harry

Well Harry, that's not how you read a law. If something's not specifically stated, it can't be assumed. Or, as an attorney friend is fond to say- "If it ain't in, it's out."
So, someone may ride up and share your lane without receiving an invite to do so.

Just lost all credibility with me :hungover
OM

If you don't understand anger at being startled/disrespected, you don't understand human emotions. Thoughts of retaliation are not wrong, they are normal. Unlike the HD rider, shortythorne is a civilized person that considered a range of responses and chose the most appropriate.

Something like that has happened to me several times. It makes me more afraid of the other motorcycle riders, than the cage drivers. Cage drivers are somewhat predictable. The motorcycle riders, not so much.

Chris

Back