• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1988 R100GS driveshaft and grease, grease, grease!

rxcrider

I rescued a friend's 1988 R100GS from the highway today with a failed front U-joint on the driveshaft. I just pulled it apart and there is grease everywhere like someone pulled out the front swingarm pivot pins and packed the swingarm / driveshaft with grease from both sides. Is this normal? The pivot pins and locknuts also had grease on them and were removed easily without heat. If it were an oil head I would know that is wrong, but this is my first dive into an airhead with the paralever and I don't have a manual on hand yet.

IMG_6954.JPG

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it would have been hard to get much grease past the caps behind the pivot bearings. Maybe someone pulled the boot back to put so much grease in there. The cavity leading to the left pivot bearing feels like it is packed full of grease.

The swing arm took a bit of a beating as well.

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone have a feel for how forgiving these swing arms are for this level of damage or go with my gut and change it along with the driveshaft?

that has happened to me twice. I replaced the driveshaft and reused the swingarm both times. the second time I got a rebuildable driveshaft. I have about 6000 mi on the new setup, works great.

I had mine rebuilt by Guy Henderson in Southern California. Still no problem after 40 Tmiles. Guy used u-joints with zerks so you can re-grease them. Also he used a blue polyurethane material instead of the black rubber for the damper filling which I think is better to keep the two shaft pieces better aligned.

When the u-joints disintegrate you get all kinds of scratch marks. I doubt this would weaken the swing arm. I never replaced it.

/Guenther

Unfortunately, this shaft is beyond repair - with one yoke splayed open and the other cracked, it is toast.

Inspect the swing arm closely, if there's NO cracks I would think it is usable.

Many are using this shaft from Ted Porter http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TRA00012A

With that much vibration the output seal of the trani is probably toast.

Good luck with this repair.
BR

Snagged a clean swingarm with 2k miles on fresh pivot bearings from a seller on ADVrider and the Emerald Island driveshaft is coming as well. May as well dive into the gearbox while I'm at it and check for / add the circlip if it isn't there. at almost 40k it is a nice time to lube the clutch spline anyway...

Back