• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

North American BMW Motorcycle Dealership POI

Lee200

North American BMW Motorcycle Dealerships POI

The official BMW website contains a .gpi file that is dated Mar 2016, but it is for all BMW motorcycle dealerships worldwide.

Last year, Lynn posted a file for the U.S. dealerships, but I've not found an update for 2016.

-----

Update:

Since no one seemed to know about this, I wound up making my own POI file which I've attached here.

It uses the latest official BMW .gpi file (March 2016) for its data, but is converted to the .csv format so you will need to use the POI Loader program to add it to your GPS POIs. I've tested it with my Zumo 660 and it works fine. The only drawback is that you cannot automatically dial the dealer's phone number by pressing a button on the "Go" page. Only .gpx formatted files allow that and .csv files do not. So you will have to manually dial the number which you can find on the "More" page. I've increased the phone number's size and made it bold type for easier viewing.

If there is any interest, I can probably add the few Canadian dealerships too.

Let me know how it works for you and if you find any errors in the dealerships, their locations, and other info.

Update 2

Fixed Van Wall Powersports name.

Lee

List Page:

List.jpg

More Page:

More.jpg

Here's the file:

View attachment US BMW Dealerships Mar 2016.zip

Last edited:
Let me know how it works for you and if you find any errors in the dealerships, their locations, and other info.

Thanks, looks good to me. Even the former Gina's BMW is renamed to the new business (unlike the "official" BMW dealership listing).

I did notice that Van-Wall Powersports displays as only "Va".

Thanks for the feedback Steve. After over 200 views and no responses, I was about to delete this thread as a waste of time. :)

Yes, for some reason my converted .cvs file contains the wrong name for Van-Wall Powersports of Indianola, IA. Apparently, the converter program I used burped on this one dealership. Thanks for pointing that out and I will manually correct it and post an updated file.

Lee

I have an interest, but not enough Garmin savvy to know how to load it. Can you point me somewhere for that tutorial or is it stupid simple? MY GPS is a Garmin 665LM

Lee, the reason for so many views with so few responses could be that many are like me and don't currently need to save space on their GPS so we just download the original 89k file. For me, I also use my GPS in Europe and like to drop into BMW Motorrad Dealerships when the opportunities present themselves, just to see what's different, etc.

Alan, you may be right and if so, I'll not update the file in the future if the current BMW website file works OK for everyone.

BTW, what original 89K file are you using? The current .gpi file on the BMW website is 240 KBs in size.

Thanks,

Lee

Sorry Lee, you're right. The current one is 81k compressed and 232 uncompressed. Hopefully, at some point in the future, Garmin will bring some of their programing into the 21st century and code so that more data files can be stored on the memory card and get away from these space limitations that are really just the result of old out-dated programming. We really do need more competition in the GPS field, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

... Hopefully, at some point in the future, Garmin will bring some of their programing into the 21st century and code so that more data files can be stored on the memory card and get away from these space limitations that are really just the result of old out-dated programming. We really do need more competition in the GPS field, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

I could not agree more!!!
:thumb

You know when a personal friend changes their phone number or whatever, I update the info on my Excel spreadsheet (what I use as my address book), INSTANTLY.

Why does BMW have such a difficulty doing this? :banghead It must be rocket science for them even though who else but BMW would know who their dealers are.

The BMW NA list (version 9) on the BMW Canada site is an older version than the BMW NA list (version 10) on the BMW NA site, yet both are out of date by a long shot (some dealers listed haven't been around in over a year...duhhh BMW).

Latest file is: D0743030F.gpi which was found on the BMW.de site.

Last edited:
The official BMW website contains a .gpi file that is dated Mar 2016, but it is for all BMW motorcycle dealerships worldwide.

Where is that located (link) because I could not find it?

Found it on the BMW.de site which gets you there from the BMW Motorrad International site.

BMW Motorrad Deutschland

Click on Equipment & Shop
Under the Navigation & Kommunikation, click on BMW Navigator V
Scroll down to the tabs and click on Downloads
Click on Händlerdatenbank Navigator V and save the .zip file.

At the time of this entry, you should see D0743030F.gpi

The BMW Canada file is two versions older (D0743030D.gpi) and the BMW North America file is one version older (D0743030E).gpi. Must be really slow data transfer lines across the Atlantic. LOL

I just checked the dealer listing and compared it to the BMW Canada site and it is now up to date. I can't comment on the one south of the border.

Last edited:
I would much rather have an App since my GPS is my phone. There is a solid reason to have both and it would be best to have the same data source. It would be wonderful if BMW Motorrad would support an App or GPS file worldwide since it would be good for business - even make it a part of their 'Make Life a Ride' marketing theme.

Current file -- as of this date -- is rev "G'. Same file for NAV5/NAV6. Directions are in the ZIP file.

Directions are fairly simple --
1. Download the file from the BMW Motorrad Website
2. Extract the POI file (you can leave the extracted file in the same folder). File name ends in G.gpi
3. Plug your NAV into your PC
4. On your PC, highlight the file you just extracted, right click and COPY the file.
5. Under the "MY PC" tab (Windows 8 - 10), navigate to the folder for your GARMIN unit.
6. Highlite the POI folder, right click to open the folder (on your GARMIN unit), and PASTE the file you just copied.
7. Delete any other dealer files in this directory. All names will be the same, except for the last character in the file name. If you'd concerned that something may be wrong, copy any dealer directory files from your GARMIN to a folder on your PC, then delete the files from your GARMIN.
8. Safely disconnect your GARMIN from your PC, then start it and check that your new dealer listing file loads properly.

Later,

Long way, type "BMW Motorrad USA" in your search box, select a result that begins with https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/. At the top of the screen select Gear and Parts, then Navigation and Communication, Navigator VI, then (mid-page) click Downloads.

Short way, click here:http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/us/en/_common/downloads/equipment/BMW_Motorrad_Navigator_VI_Haendlerdatenbank_2017.zip

I'm expecting an update in the next couple months, this version is about a year old.

Thanks Larry,

For the rest of us, as I found it a half hour or so later. It used to be easier to find.
By the way, that would be the G version (D0743030G).

Now, do they have one for BMW dealers in Europe?

Back