• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Air Turbulence Solution

beemerphile

Who has solved the problem of air turbulence at the helmet with their GS? On my camhead GS Rallye I have tried a Givi, a VStream Tall, an Aeroflow Standard and an Aeroflow Tall. All result in various levels of what sounds like jet airplane exhaust within the helmet. I wear custom fitted earplugs and have tried both an Arai RX-Q and a Shoei Neotec helmet. I have not tried the stock low shield as my bike was purchased used with the Givi installed on it.

TIA - Lee

I have used one of these on GS's for years. Also if I have to ride one of H's bikes far...perfect zone for her creates that pleasant whomp-whomp for me.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Googled this pic...not mine. I haven't ever had anyone want the bug splattered one I have:dunno so no lock

I installed a Laminar Lip on my 09 GSA and that solved it for me. GSA screen is taller than a GS one though. So your results may be different. I still get airflow, but it is smooth air. Turbulence causes the noise.

Over, by about 4 inches. That's for the GSA with laminar lip. I'm 6 feet tall. I have the windshield tilted all the way back too, not straight up. I got smoother air flow that way. Plus I'm in Texas and staying cool is more important that blocking wind most of the time.

Over, by about 4 inches. That's for the GSA with laminar lip. I'm 6 feet tall. I have the windshield tilted all the way back too, not straight up. I got smoother air flow that way. Plus I'm in Texas and staying cool is more important that blocking wind most of the time.

I am 6'3" and look well over the wind deflector but it still stops the buffeting.

I am using a tinted Puig W/S which is slightly taller. It did it for me and I like the stock look. If I remember correctly there was an article in the July MOA magazine about some wing that mounts under the handlebar. It is to really reduce any turbulences.

Installed the Wunderlich air deflector and the results are very good. Thanks for the tip.

They are nuts to spec 8Nm for the two screws that hold the deflector on. I can see it for the lower screws that are sandwiched between metal and rubber, but grinding the flat metal base of the screw into the bare acrylic at 8 Nm is begging it to crack. In test fitting it, I put a bit of silicone grease into the wells and very lightly tightened it. It still scarred the acrylic a bit. So, I punched out a couple of small round heavy vinyl pads to put under the base of the screws and still a bit of silicone grease. Once they were snugged, I put a bit of green wicking threadlocker on the two screws. One of the windscreen manufacturers warns that threadlockers and acrylic are chemically incompatible, so as a precaution, I made sure that ne'er the twain did meet. I also did not like the edge glare from the polished perimeter, so I sanded the edge dull to squelch it. There may be more reflection off of the bright metalwork than I want as well and may have to do something with that.

It is a shame to pay that price for a bit of plastic and aluminum and still have to finish it out yourself.

thanks again. Liking it.

Glad it is working in spite you needing to tweak some.
Guess I never noticed an edge glare on the Touratech versions..and mine has a nice patina on the brushed aluminum anyways after several years:thumb

X-creen

I prefer the stock GS screen on my 2010 GS. The bike came with an aftermarket screen a bit taller and wider than the stocker, (forgot what brand).
Anyhow what pretty solved my XD4 buffeting was the MRA X-Creen as it's got adjustability more than some other gizmos.
I've managed to get the air to hit right about the top of the helmet above the visor.
Tt's the clamp-on model so easy on and off and easy to fiddle about.
Believe me, I am picky and I try out everything. I'm pretty good between 80-100mph with this device...

mra_15_xcr_tou_cla_on_var_win_spo_bla_win_ext.jpg

Attachments

• mrax_creen_tour_variable_windscreen_spoiler_blade_detail.jpg
    mrax_creen_tour_variable_windscreen_spoiler_blade_detail.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 191
X-Screen

I prefer the stock GS screen on my 2010 GS. The bike came with an aftermarket screen a bit taller and wider than the stocker, (forgot what brand).
Anyhow what pretty solved my XD4 buffeting was the MRA X-Creen as it's got adjustability more than some other gizmos.
I've managed to get the air to hit right about the top of the helmet above the visor.
Tt's the clamp-on model so easy on and off and easy to fiddle about.
Believe me, I am picky and I try out everything. I'm pretty good between 80-100mph with this device...

View attachment 58039

I'm in agreement with Rapiddog. I, too, have a GS with the stock windshield and the MRA X-Screen has worked well for me. I like how you can adjust the position based on riding terrain and weather conditions.

Last edited:
Back