Thread: R1200RT Left Side Upper Panel

R1200RT Left Side Upper Panel

Does anyone know where I can buy a cover plate on the upper left side panel for my 2009 RT? I'm going to install some Clearwater Lights and I want to install the dimmer control knob on the left side upper panel cover plate as shown. I just want to make sure I can find a cover plate replacement in case I screw it up when I drill a hole in the plate to install the dimmer switch. And, if anyone knows how this cover plate comes off, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance. RobRT Panel.jpg

For used - I'd look at Beemerboneyard. New - your dealer or Max BMW on-line parts.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Schmails
    I found it in the parts fiche pretty quickly. I typically use Max's:

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fi...0&rnd=07012015

It's Part 4 in this diagram. This is one of the trim diagrams. $18.xx.

IMG_9341.JPG

--Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Greetings from the Philadelphia Suburbs.
    '11 R1200RT Bronze

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motorefrob View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy a cover plate on the upper left side panel for my 2009 RT? I'm going to install some Clearwater Lights and I want to install the dimmer control knob on the left side upper panel cover plate as shown. I just want to make sure I can find a cover plate replacement in case I screw it up when I drill a hole in the plate to install the dimmer switch. And, if anyone knows how this cover plate comes off, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance. RobRT Panel.jpg
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not sure how the Clearwater's control the dimming. If it's a factory kit, should be no problem.
    Slow speed with a small bit should get you a good start for the clearance check. A Uini-Bit, again on slow, usually make a good finish.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Upper Panel

Quote Originally Posted by schmails View Post
    I found it in the parts fiche pretty quickly. I typically use Max's:

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fi...0&rnd=07012015

It's Part 4 in this diagram. This is one of the trim diagrams. $18.xx.

IMG_9341.JPG

--Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Chris. Yeah, I was afraid I'd have to buy the entire panel for $52 not just the cover plate. So, at least I know if I screw up, it's gonna cost me $50. Where are you outside Philly? I'm in Doylestown. Rob

Upper Panel.

Thanks Gary. I got a great deal on the Clearwater Lights and I wanted to find a good location for what Clearwater calls their "Volume Control Knob". It's a rheostat of sorts that allows you to dim the lights from 85% to 5%. It also allows you to wire the lights into the high beam so when you hit the high beams the Clearwater lights come on full power. I just wanted to know what that upper cover plate panel costs if I booger it up when installing the control knob. Dealer price is $50. I'll see what the boneyard has it for. It's a shame I just can't buy the cover plate because that's all I'd booger up..if anything.

Upper Panel Radio Cut Out

It's called a molding radio cut out. Not bad only $18 + ship if I screw things up while drilling. I thought I'd have to buy the entire panel for $52. Thanks everyone.

To avoid unnecessary holes in the trim panel underneath, take the entire upper left panel off and mark your hole location from the back side. That panel can be pulled off with your finger tips, but it's better to release the retaining tabs from the back.

I mounted my door opener switch in that location.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

You can pull it up with your fingernail. I do it all the time. there will be pre-drilled hole in the panel underneath (this is where the radio buttons go).
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo