• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine Plate Adhesive

Bill Lumberg
Stupid question, but what adhesive would be appropriate to reattach the model plate to the engine case? I found my BMW R75 plate resting in cabling at the end of a ride last week. I was lucky it didn't end up on the roadside. My R75 has been pressed into more regular service due to prolonged failure of my 2014 Yamaha FJR1300 and Yamaha/Y.E.S.'s inability to fix it. My ratty old airhead still runs like a top, but the missing plate bothers me.

I used Permatex Super Weatherstrip Adhesive...aka "Gorilla Snot"...it's yellowish. Follow the instructions to the letter. Be sure and position the gage properly when cementing in place...too far back can inhibit removal of the air filter clamshell housing. DAMHIK.

Brook didn't like the product he used:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...roject-Journal&p=949540&viewfull=1#post949540

but I'm not sure if 3M and Permatex are the same. It worked for me.

More discussion here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55579-Adhesive-for-TYPE-IDENTIFICATION-PLATE

I'm sure others will come along with equally or better suggestions.

Silicone Seal Still Holding

I used Permatex Super Weatherstrip Adhesive...aka "Gorilla Snot"...it's yellowish. Follow the instructions to the letter. Be sure and position the gage properly when cementing in place...too far back can inhibit removal of the air filter clamshell housing. DAMHIK.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...roject-Journal&p=949540&viewfull=1#post949540

More discussion here:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55579-Adhesive-for-TYPE-IDENTIFICATION-PLATE

Folks,

As Kurt said, the 3M let go on a 95 Deg day. That said, maybe I didn't prep it well, but I thought I did. The 3M version was recommended so that's what I hunted for.

SOOOOO... I tried Silicone Seal. It is still attached after 18 months and riding on as hot days. Time will tell if the Silicone Seal fails, but every time I check the plate to see if it is coming loose, it's still on there tight.

Best.
Brook Reams.

More discussion here:

That's bazaar! Mine just fell off a few month's ago and I haven't tackled the issue yet.

I was wondering if the product JB Weld would work. It has worked wonderfully for me for other things.

Also, has anyone taken the time to re-attach using small screws? Drilling and tapping the cover case with, let's say, 4-40 oval head, stainless steel screws?

I tried the 3 M stuff

Yup and I lost one of those hard to find (just purchased used) r 100S engine ID badges, the other badge was off but got caught in the carb cables and cylinder fins. I found a set of new badges at Huggets and have yet to install them. I will use some sort of glue but I will also drill a couple holes in each and install a couple counter sunk screws for a little extra security. The screws are allen head and black so I will just hide them in the black background of the badge.

Yes, I've seen a report on another forum years ago where they used small screws to hold the engine badge on...don't remember where/when. But I'd have to repeat the bazaar comment...the weatherstrip adhesive has worked fine for me for quite some time now. Hey, it's recommended by Snowbum!!! :thumb

Now you have me somewhat concerned...I'd better go check my badges. :scratch

3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive - been working great for me in Midwest heat for years. Ymmv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What, if anything, did anyone use to clean off the original (I think) adhesive?

I am going to try the 3M weatherstrip stuff.

It's bazaar if that's where you bought them, but not so bizarre that you found them there, if it was a bike bazaar.
Just sayin':)

I think I used the bargin 3M stuff

It's been a while since I did that little "failed" re-stick job and I know I tossed the remaining adhesive but I know it wasn't the black and it didn't say "super" anywhere so maybe I will have another look at whats out there before I drill holes. I will have schedule that somewhere between the new kitchen (she doesn't say a thing about 28 bikes and counting), '03 BCR refit, '55 reassemble, 850R scrambler and the RS54 tribute replica.

Never had a "bad" 3-M product.

3M ™ Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is a strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration, oil, grease, and extreme temperature variations. It can be used to bond weatherstripping to car doors, trunks, T-tops, moon roofs and sun roofs. It is an excellent adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets in place during installation. It provides the strength and rapid setting needed to hold weatherstripping, vinyl headliners, and side panels in place. Features:High StrengthFlexibleAdhesion To Many SubstratesFast DryingGood Oil and Water ResistanceHigh Temperature ResistanceTypical Physical Properties:Container: 5 oz. TubeBase: Neoprene RubberDensity in lbs/Gallon: (Appx.) 7.6Color: Black Flash Point: -14?F Viscosity (CPS):Brookfield Viscometer 4,500 CPSSolids Content: (Appx.) 39.0%Consistency: Heavy LiquidService Temperature: -20 to -300?FDirections for Use:Thoroughly clean surfaces to be bonded. Wiping with 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (P.N. 08984 or P.N. 08987) will aid in removing oil and dirt. Apply a thin, uniform coat of adhesive on each surface. Allow adhesive to dry until tacky but will not transfer to your knuckle when touched (maximum dry time about 4 minutes). Assemble materials with sufficient pressure to ensure contact. Greater initial strength may be obtained by reactivating. To reactivate, coat both surfaces with adhesive and allow to dry tack free. Lightly coat surface with at thin coat of adhesive or lightly wipe with 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (P.N. 08984). Complete bond within 30 seconds.Applications:Weatherstripping and Gasketing Adhesive.Cloth and supported vinyl bonding.General rubber bonding.Good adhesion to wood, metals, painted surfaces and some plastics.Storage and Handling:Store at room temperature. Rotate stock on a ""first-in-first-out"" basis. When stored at the recommended conditions in original, unopened containers, this product has a shelf life of 12 months.Precautionary Information:Refer to Product Label and Material Safety Data Sheet for Health and Safety Information before using this product."

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-black-super-weatherstrip-and-gasket-adhesive-08008-5-oz.html

OM

What, if anything, did anyone use to clean off the original (I think) adhesive?

I am going to try the 3M weatherstrip stuff.

I used acetone - soaking badge got it off - but I then repainted badge. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back