• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Debris blocking the fan

ksterner

I had the check engine light come on during a ride on some Forest roads. I turned off the bike and restarted and the light never came on again. I took it to the dealer so they could hook it up to the computer and see what the issue was. They said there must have been some debris blocking the fan which tripped a breaker. This caused the check engine light to come on. I guess my question is it tripped a breaker why did the light go off. Secondly my fan has been working all along. I guess it could have been a temporary blockage. Because they said there was still some debris around the fan. The other mystery is how did it get there. I don't remember riding through any brush and the bike was never down. I was riding through some mud. Could that get up into the fan area and cause problems. Has this happend to anyone else.

Its is not uncommon for the fans on the 800s to get stuck from a bit of grit or dirt getting into them, particularity for the GSs if they are run in the dirt.

I had the same experience a couple years ago when mine stuck. I was riding to work in traffic and when the fan failed to run, the engine light came on. Of course that leads to a bit of panic and I quickly shut down of the engine while in traffic, less than an ideal situation. I restarted it and the light was off, I was just a block from work so I continued on there. Later I searched a bit and found that BMW decided to use the engine light as a warning if the fan fails to run even if there is not an overheating issue immediately. I checked my fan and found it stuck, a bit of working it by hand and it freed up. Once back home I pulled the fan out and gave it a thorough cleaning and lubing. It has been fine since, but I do make it a habit to periodically check it to be sure it spins freely.

Its is not uncommon for the fans on the 800s to get stuck from a bit of grit or dirt getting into them, particularity for the GSs if they are run in the dirt.

I had the same experience a couple years ago when mine stuck. I was riding to work in traffic and when the fan failed to run, the engine light came on. Of course that leads to a bit of panic and I quickly shut down of the engine while in traffic, less than an ideal situation. I restarted it and the light was off, I was just a block from work so I continued on there. Later I searched a bit and found that BMW decided to use the engine light as a warning if the fan fails to run even if there is not an overheating issue immediately. I checked my fan and found it stuck, a bit of working it by hand and it freed up. Once back home I pulled the fan out and gave it a thorough cleaning and lubing. It has been fine since, but I do make it a habit to periodically check it to be sure it spins freely.

Thanks for the feedback Ed.

I had the check engine light come on during a ride on some Forest roads. I turned off the bike and restarted and the light never came on again. I took it to the dealer so they could hook it up to the computer and see what the issue was. They said there must have been some debris blocking the fan which tripped a breaker. This caused the check engine light to come on. I guess my question is it tripped a breaker why did the light go off. Secondly my fan has been working all along. I guess it could have been a temporary blockage. Because they said there was still some debris around the fan. The other mystery is how did it get there. I don't remember riding through any brush and the bike was never down. I was riding through some mud. Could that get up into the fan area and cause problems. Has this happend to anyone else.

Unless I'm wrong, there are no mechanical breakers or fuses on the F bikes. Overload protection is via the computer, so if the overload is removed, the fault clears.

Regards, Rod.

Back