• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1300 hot starting issue again!

Rangeron

I have a 2015 K1300S special edition model. A little over a year ago the bike would stop running as I would downshift to stop,etc. Then when I attempted to restart the bike, it would act like the battery was nearly dead. It stalled on I-5 near Seattle during rush hour last year on one occasion. It finally started and averted disaster. Evidently there is a BMW Bulletin 61 002 11 (040)R4. I set up appointment (one year ago) with my dealer and left bike for the fix. The fix is replacing wiring harness, starter relay, heavier starter cable.
One year later the bike is doing it again! Several BMW models can be affected according to the bulletin. All K bikes. Has anyone had this problem more than once? I have another appointment to do the fix again, but what happens to me after warranty runs out late next year? Any feedback would be helpful!:banghead
Ranger Ron

I have a 2009 K1300GT and have been plagued intermittently with this stalling issue over the years. I have found the OEM battery not capable of dealing with the potential numerous re-starting when the stalling is really acting up. Switching to the Odyssey PC680 battery has made a big difference in re-starting.

I have also found poor fuel quality as being a contributor to the stalling, as well as any gasoline with ethanol of any concentration.

You usually know when the stalling is going to happen when the idling or idle speed starts to be erratic or floating around where it should be. Usually blipping the throttle when pulling in the clutch when coming to a stop keeps it from stalling. Not an acceptable solution in the long run, but avoids a stall in a potentially dangerous scenario.

I could not find any information on the technical service bulletin you mentioned regarding the replacement of starter battery cable, wiring harness or starter relay. Could you please provide a copy or link to it. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

2015 K1300S Stalling Issue

I have a 2015 K1300S special edition model. A little over a year ago the bike would stop running as I would downshift to stop,etc. Then when I attempted to restart the bike, it would act like the battery was nearly dead. It stalled on I-5 near Seattle during rush hour last year on one occasion. It finally started and averted disaster. Evidently there is a BMW Bulletin 61 002 11 (040)R4. I set up appointment (one year ago) with my dealer and left bike for the fix. The fix is replacing wiring harness, starter relay, heavier starter cable.
One year later the bike is doing it again! Several BMW models can be affected according to the bulletin. All K bikes. Has anyone had this problem more than once? I have another appointment to do the fix again, but what happens to me after warranty runs out late next year? Any feedback would be helpful!:banghead
Ranger Ron

I was out on the Blue Ridge Parkway today and my 2015 K1300S Special Edition stalled at a stop light. I had just come to a stop and
it was idling in first gear with the clutch leaver applied. The bike started immediately after that stall. Since the bike stalls at idle, i have
learned not to commit the steering to a turn before I get the bike in motion straight ahead first - this avoids embarrassing spills while

going so slow.

Stalling

My 09 K1300GT (new to me in July) did the stalling thing a few times on the first couple of rides. Always following a low speed, quickly close the throttle situation. On another forum the reco was to frequently add 2oz of Chevron Techron fuel injection cleaner per tank, or regular use of Chevron gas, plus regular full throttle bursts. Since doing that, and installing an Odyssey battery, the stalling went away.

Back