Thread: Really? For Free? 08 RT Fuel Strip!

Really? For Free? 08 RT Fuel Strip!

I just found out my 08 RT fuel strip is covered for 13 years.
    Did you know that?
    I went to Ozzie's in Chico Ca. to see how much it will cost to get the yellow triangle off my display, that and the flashing fuel station.
    It's Free!!!!
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Yep. Just had my second installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

The warranty is 12 years from time of bike in service, so you're covered for fuel strips until 2020.

Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75T

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Did you know that?
    I went to Ozzie's in Chico Ca. to see how much it will cost to get the yellow triangle off my display, that and the flashing fuel station.
    It's Free!!!!
    Quite a bit of info here- http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....uel-strip-poll

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Don't get too excited. The problem is not fixed and you will be replacing them over and over with others doomed to fail.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Don't get too excited. The problem is not fixed and you will be replacing them over and over with others doomed to fail.
    I actually get excited over it- and I don't have one.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't such a good design. I don't recall anything I've owned where the manufacturer has gone to this length to make good on something that didn't work out.

OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I actually get excited over it- and I don't have one.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't such a good design. I don't recall anything I've owned where the manufacturer has gone to this length to make good on something that didn't work out.

OM
    I think the reason they went to this length may have been to avoid a recall - when they didn't have a fix. Other brands had issued recalls for similar problems with fuel gauges. If you go through the poll thread that I started it gives very careful and detailed instructions on how to report this to NHTSA in a manner where the failures will add up in the NHTSA database and might trigger a looksee (aka preliminary investigation). That combined with the recall of all the new wethead RT's for a defective rear shock (remember that?) would be a black eye BMW-AG wouldn't be at all happy with.

So how to shut us up? Replace them for free for a period of time that the original buyer is unlikely to own the bike for.

I'm making a guess that BMW isn't paying for the replacement part or labor on the fuel strip. I suspect the vendor who supplies the fuel strips is - probably VDO. BMW can do that by reminding the vendor that if they want BMW's continued business they have to indemnify BMW against a loss caused by using their parts. That's just a guess on my part - but I know this has been the case in several BMW automobile service campaigns involving their parts vendors (including VDO and some BMW E39 instrument clusters), can't see why it would be any different here.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Just had my 3rd installed

the original and 2 replacements!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    The warranty is 12 years from time of bike in service, so you're covered for fuel strips until 2020.

AFAIK This extended warranty is specific to BMW USA

In Canada you will not get an automatic replacement.
    Each replacement is treated as a separate case that has to be submitted to BMW Canada.

BMW Canada did replace mine for free on a "Good will basis"

Bottom line: If you don't know about the free replacement available in the US and don't ask for the same treatment, they will charge you for the replacement.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Yeah, my original lasted 52K, the second failed immediately, and #3 and #4 went about 9K each. The good news is, no static at all from the dealer, I just call in and make an appointment.

I'm at about 10K on #5 and holding my breath.

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT, '73 R75/5 Toaster (under rehabilitation)
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Did you know that?
    It's Free!!!!
    With some coaching from OM, I have trained myself to use the odometer. You will never be able to trust this silly fuel gauge. I wish they would just give me back $1000.00 and I would not bother them on this defect again.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.