• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K-bike or Airhead for hobby bike?

joshua68

Hey guys and gals! I'm riding a 2016 R1200RS in Florida, but have been looking to add something early 1990's to my collection as a hobby bike, and perhaps stash it on the west coast for my trips to LA. Which would present less issues overall, and has best repair support in terms of parts availability? Been seeing nice K75s and R1100s on cycle trader. Thanks for your feedback...

Welcome to the forum! Decisions, decisions, decisions... Hope you find something that suits you. :thumb

When given a choice, take both. The K-bike is probably less fussy when properly sorted out.

k1100rs-M.jpg

But only the airhead is an airhead.

DSC04181-M.jpg

Drive them both and see what floats your boat.

I have a lot of experience with older bikes, and really have to say that the less you ride it, the more you might have to expect by way of maintenance, and unreliability in a vintage bike. Put succinctly, the less you ride it, the more you'll have to do to keep it going.

Old bikes are a lot like old bodies. Sitting around on the couch (or in the garage) kills them, slowly but certainly.

Having said that, I've owned airhead R bikes (late 80s/early 90s) and K bikes (1988 & 2002). Each have highly redeemable qualities, and each are very different from one another. An airhead is far more "vintage", even in a newer model - my 88 K100RS was WAY more "modern" than my 93 R100RS, for example.

Bottom line, probably, is that it's 100% subjective. You really should nail down your needs and juxtapose them against your desires and general sensibilities.

Cheers, and best of luck!

I am highly biased on this topic. Airheads are simple machines. Easy to maintain and do repairs on if need be. Given the relatively short shelf-life of gasoline, Airheads are easy to drain for storage. This important if the motorcycle will be sitting for long periods of time. I never owned a K bike. I'm pretty sure it would be a hair-pulling exercise to deal with rotten fuel in a fuel injected motor. Additionally, an R1100 is not an airhead. There is no simplicity advantage to be had with one of those bikes.

Last edited:
Why not just rent a modern BMW when on your West Coast forays?

Otherwise, I'd vote Airhead as I really enjoyed my /6 in its role as Option 3 after '04 GS I had and my '04 Ural. Lightweight, handled great, comfy ride and seating position, wretched brakes... (single disc on front, drum on back).

R80ST, if you can find one.

In the air head world, there simply is no better. I tried K bikes. No comparison.

GS's have become silly expensive. R80ST is the obvious choice.

JMHO.

Jim

(by the way, ricochetrider are you also on Britbike?)

Haven't owned a K bike, but have owned Airheads R75/6, and Oilheads, R1100R & R1100S. The R1100 series is really just a modern version of an airhead. Very similar in maintenance, valve adjust, throttle bodies syncs etc. but being fuel injected has much less carb releated issues form sitting for months without running. Had ABS brakes ( optional ) but no servo brakes so a much more simple system.

If solo. I would look for a low mileage R1100R with the factory luggage. These where the least popular BMW bike but yet more than capable of touring, therefore cheaper. If doing 2 up work than the Rt series of these bikes would work fine. The R1100s is a very good motorcycle, but to tour with may need some ergo adjustments to make the bike fit you. You have to ride one to know what I mean. I really like mine and it is a much better bike for me than my R1100R bike was. The R1100s is a very fast motorcycle, but yet a competent touring bike, and a looker even 18 yrs later.

Nothing wrong with an Airhead, and if you are mechanically inclined, great bikes, but you do need to keep the maintenance up.

When talking dollars, the R1100 series are much cheaper than a good up to date R 100 airhead series bike.

So we won't be able to make your choice, that is up to you. All great bikes, just depends on what you want.

If you want a hobby working on your bike buy an Airhead. If you want a hobby riding your bike buy a K75. We have 3 now, and have had 4 others. I rode one of mine from Texas to New York for the rally.

If you want a hobby working on your bike buy an Airhead. If you want a hobby riding your bike buy a K75.

That's very accurate, I'd say. Airheads are fairly simple to work on, and that's good since you need to spend a lot of time in your garage with them. Like a lot of BMW people, I always looked down on the K bikes. Until I owned one for a while. They had very advanced engineering throughout. The K75's were apparently the gem of them all. Smooth and and extremely dependable. Airheads are now a lot like Harleys. Beautiful to look at, but more of a put-around-town bike. The K bikes were built to ride, and ride for a long time.

SPEAK FOR THYSELF KNAVE! Blasphemer!

+1 After forty plus years of owning and riding airheads, they've NEVER left me on the side of the road, unlike my K and coincidently harleys! Don't even put them in the same class.

SPEAK FOR THYSELF KNAVE! Blasphemer!

+2. I'd bet that nearly every place on earth that has been visited by motorcycle has seen an airhead BMW. The kicker here is that the OP is looking for an occasional use bike that sits a lot. For that duty, I"d rather have the K75. I'd leave it full of alcohol-free fuel with a few cc's of Pri-G stabilizer. Probably install a EarthX battery and leave it disconnected during storage.

Back