• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for photos or documents from 1976 BMW MOA in Oshkosh WI

75bmwr90s

Last fall I became the owner of a vintage BMW motorcycle. I am the third owner of a 1975 Daytona Orange R90S. The second owner, Dennis, purchased the bike from the estate of Gary Vass. The bike is in stunning original condition and only shows 4200 miles.

Gary Vass was the owner of a BMW dealership in Springfield Missouri. In 1975, Mr. Vass purchased the bike and then commissioned Engle Motors in Kansas City to complete many performance upgrades including engine upgrades, custom painted Avonaire Fairing, custom painted Krauser bags, lots of chroming and Lester Alloy Wheels. Even two Bell Helmets were custom painted in Daytona Orange. According to the second owner, Mr. Vass had a scooter shop after he closed his BMW dealership. This motorcycle sat in the scooter shop for many many years.

Dennis met Mr. Vass while trying to restore a late 60s R69S. Dennis saw the 1975 R90S about 5 years ago covered in a thick layer of dust. After Mr. Vass passed away, his widow sold the bike to the Dennis who only owned the bike for less than one year.

I am trying to find any history or provenance associated with the motorcycle at the 1976 Rally. Gary and His wife rode the bike to this rally. The bike still has medallions from the fourth BMW rally in Oshkosh Wisconsin from 1976. I can only imagine Mr. Vass and his wife riding into Oshkosh with this beautiful bike in their orange helmets.

If you have any information, documentation, or old photographs, please let me know. Would there have been a program for this early Rally? Thanks All......

IMG_2581.jpg
IMG_2589.jpg
IMG_2587.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Very nice R90S...a classic! As for the 1976 rally, I first thought of the book the MOA put out called "The First 35 Years". Each rally and other background of the MOA is provided in the book. There are four pages in the book on the Oshkosh rally, but I don't see anything that mentions the bike or the Vass'. Possibly deep in some of the pictures, the bike might be there, but it's not visible as far as I can tell. Maybe someone will see your post and offer up some information. Good luck! :thumb

That was my first BMW rally, the one I joined the MOA at. I'll look back through my photos to see what I can find and get back to you. Ride easy.

I did make contact with the owner of Engle Motors in Kansas City. He is the son of the original owner and remembers this bike in 1975 when it was being completed. He was 17yo. He sent me this picture of the bike being displayed for the Springfield BMW Road Riders. Notice the helmets had not been painted yet... Really cool stuff!!

1975 BMW R90S Gary Vass.jpg

Can't believe I found this so easy. I remember every photo I've ever taken and thought that I'd seen your bike through my view finder forty years ago. Ask and ye shall recieve, from the 1976 National at Oshkosh:

lacarerra2011.jpg

Thanks Kurt..... I just found and bought the 35th anniversary book on ebay.... thanks...

Greg

Strangely enough at Hamburg, when I was in the line to buy an MOA coffee mug, they had a stack of complimentary 35th anniversary books so I picked one up........Very nice bike by the way......Rod.

I would also like to find some items from the 4th Rally....such as pins or patches or programs... If anyone has any extra "Stuff" that they may want to let go of.... let me know. Also, if anyone had personal contact with the Vass' at the Rally, please reach out!!

OK… found a little more information about this bike. On the service receipt from 1975, it does list a new flywheel and crankshaft… The receipt is hand written and no specific information is given on this original receipt which lists miscellaneous non specific stuff.

I just had the bike serviced and the mechanic was like a kid in a candy store.... Here is what he found....

The engine has the following upgrades:
• Dual valve springs [indicating a camshaft other than OEM]
• lndication of cyl head porting
• Lightened fly wheel assembly..

Obviously no expense was spared back in the day for period goodies!!!

Crazy!

Gary.. Thanks for sending the original photo and the patch from the 76 Rally!!!
George...Thanks for the 76 Rally pin!!

They came in the mail today!

IMG_3424.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg

Back