• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Little scary in CO

Do you really think this is the time and place to attack a political philosophy that you disagree with?

Why not attack alcohol drinkers. poor parenting or people with tattoos? They are all just as likely to have caused this oaf's behavior.

I would say the booze had the most effect on his behaviour. When I've been drunk (many years ago in college), I wanted to curl up in a corner and go to sleep. Others react in just the opposite manner. It seems like this H-D rider was one of those. If we weren't in the middle of an election season, he could've been just as upset if you were a guy with a pony tail...or if you didn't have a pony tail and he did. The reason for the potential fight doesn't matter nearly as much as the over-consumption of booze.

Chris

Everyone, please stop pussy footing around and trying to be PC and call it what it is- a typical Harley ride-to-the-bar phenomena.

Do you really think this is the time and place to attack a political philosophy that you disagree with?

Why not attack alcohol drinkers. poor parenting or people with tattoos? They are all just as likely to have caused this oaf's behavior.

Agreed!

"I would say the booze had the most effect on his behaviour."

Agreed.

As someone posted, I will be more careful about parking.

I normally do not stop in the evening like that but I did not feel like sitting in the construction traffic on the road home.

Stopped in Moriison CO on my way home and backed the K1300GT into a space beside a Harley. I was sending a text to my wife when the owner of the Harley called me Bob and started talking with me. (He was Very drunk).
After I figured out he was calling me Bob he straight up asked who I am voting for with a look that told me there was only 1 acceptable answer. The hairs on my neck stood up immediately so I redirected the conversation by joking with him that I am a felon so I can not vote, no but actually I am Canadian (true) and I am visiting (not true). He then told me if I had said Hillary he would have "dropped me" and that he is a biker etc.
I started asking about him and his bike because he said Only Harley's are ok. I was trying to find a good escape but he then challenged me on NAFTA.... Since losing my job in 2003 I have lived in Thailand, Macau, China, and Hong Kong up until two months ago and this was the first time I have ever felt scared of someone.

He finally started getting on his bike to leave and I confidently told him to Be Safe and he told me the same... And No I did not take his keys for being drunk. I was just happy to be away from him and I walked away to the gas station to watch him leave. My son said I should have called the police after he left and in hindsight I Probably should have. He was pretty drunk.

I think you did good overall. Engaging in political debate with a drunk would have been pointless. (Many of us Canadians wonder if there is still such an animal as civilized political debate in the US - and it scares us.) But this guy is entitled to his political positions and even the right to voice them to strangers. Unless you are an experienced fighter - not too many of us BMW riders fit that description - you could have been seriously hurt trying to take away his keys.

But, the guy is not entitled to ride drunk. If you had a cell phone, a 911 call with the address from which he left, his direction, and a plate number should have brought results in him being apprehended. Getting drunk drivers/riders off the road is not a political question.

Sad to say, but politics in this country have turned into survival mode. I fought in Vietnam to have a choice and say in politics only now to find that being on the other side of the fence can find me physically in danger for having an opinion different from the conservative thought process. The type of attitude you found in Colorado has been promoted for many years in this country by the likes of Carl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, etc. and now the big Don, so it's going to get ugly out there in the next couple of months. I will say though, that type of attitude should not be made synonymous with Harley riders in general, as I know of many fine upstanding Harley riders, who, while possibly not agreeing sometimes with my politics, agree that everyone in this country still has the right to their own opinion...... This guy you ran into drags down in the mud motorcycle riders, Harley riders, and more than half the US population that voted for the Democratic legally elect administration now in office. He has a right to his opinion, drunk or otherwise, but when it comes to physical enforcement of his opinion, he should be jailed for whatever the legal time for incarceration the law requires. We are still a country of majority rule, at least at this point, but I find it a bit scary to contemplate the future with his type of political thought running rampant in this country.

Hmmmmmmm......

You defend the Harley faction as 'good and bad apples - don't judge them as a group,' but then paint the Republican/Conservative movement with a rather broad brush. Best leave your political bias out of this thread.

As for the incident, contact LEO's after he is out of sight. Either they or Darwin will sort it out ASAP.

First: I'm glad you are ok.
Second: kudos you de-escelating the situation very effectively. I've had to talk down a raving drunk with a gun once, not an easy task.
Third: The issue here clearly in my opinion is alcohol. Irrational behavior can usually be attributed to alcohol abuse in this case. Nothing to do with Harleys or politics, just an angry drunk.

Again, I'm glad it worked it well for you. Be safe out there boys and girls.

Last edited:
You got thru this by out thinking the guy and deflecting his BS. Drunk or not, his politics notwithstanding, he was still practicing the tactic of fear mongering. Possibly, one of the few "weapons" in his arsenal. Talking smack is a waste of time and any true criminal bad ass woulda just "dropped you" just cuz-
(pick a reason) instead of engaging in chit chat. So, there probably was never any real "danger".

Alcohol, BTW, isn't going to turn a person into somebody he isn't already.

I'd a never called the cops on him myself. I'd watch him ride away, quite happy to let "nature" take its course. If the guy got home, more power to him. If not...

oh well.

I'd a never called the cops on him myself. I'd watch him ride away, quite happy to let "nature" take its course. If the guy got home, more power to him. If not...oh well.

And how would you feel about that decision if he had taken out someone you loved on the way?

Sorry for any discomfort my comment may have caused. The It's not the political philosophy I speak against but the method of discussion (argumentation) which seems to be becoming so political correct these days. For foreign folks touring our country, I think it's important to understand some of the folks they may encounter.

Sorry for any discomfort my comment may have caused. The It's not the political philosophy I speak against but the method of discussion (argumentation) which seems to be becoming so political correct these days. For foreign folks touring our country, I think it's important to understand some of the folks they may encounter.

Until the Canadians develop a more distinct accent, I think we should just brand them at the border crossing. The center of the forehead would be the most visible location.

BTW - I was joking.....

Back