• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW F800 GS Having power problems need help!!

bmwroad

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum so i am no sure if i am in the right place or not, if this is the wrong area just let me know and i will move it....

Anyway i brought a second had off of a BWM F800 GS USA for sale site about a year ago and all was going well riding like a dream, smooth around corners, Pure power low end pick up, awesome through the gears and a great top end truly love this bike feels safe like it will never let me down!!! Anyway just lately slowly but surely it feels like she,s loosing power :( some morning's the bike doesn't even wan't to start then starts cutting out when ticking over, I have been looking in other forums for the answer but i haven't had 1 yet but they have been turning towards the alternator? does this sound like what it could be?? i have been looking at buying BWM F800 GS alternator's classified ads website's and they are not so expensive to replace...
Also baring in mind i have changed the oil cleaned out the petrol lines and petrol tank, carburetor etc there are no blockages that i can see. I have placed a google image below to show an example of the bike i have!!

F800 gs.jpg

Thanks eveyone

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum so i am no sure if i am in the right place or not, if this is the wrong area just let me know and i will move it....

Anyway i brought a second had BWM F800 GS about a year ago and all was going well riding like a dream, smooth around corners, Pure power low end pick up, awesome through the gears and a great top end truly love this bike feels safe like it will never let me down!!! Anyway just lately slowly but surely it feels like she,s loosing power :( some morning's the bike doesn't even wan't to start then starts cutting out when ticking over, I have been looking in other forums for the answer but i haven't had 1 yet but they have been turning towards the alternator? does this sound like what it could be?? i have been looking at buying BWM F800 GS alternator's classified ads website's and they are not so expensive to replace...
Also baring in mind i have changed the oil cleaned out the petrol lines and petrol tank, carburetor etc there are no blockages that i can see. I have placed a google image below to show an example of the bike i have!!

Thanks eveyone

How many miles/kilometers on the bike? You might be due for new spark plugs and those are a lot cheaper to replace than an alternator. Also check all the fuses and, if your battery requires maintenance, make sure the distilled water levels are correct.

I once had an old truck that started to drop out every time I let off the gas. It turned out the alternator fuse had gone bad. I later had a different old truck that started dropping out and replacing the spark plugs and associated cables fixed it.

Along with year and mileage, it would be good to know if it's the original battery.
I would put a charge in the battery so it's fresh and see if there is a difference.
OM

Just to clarify, once running it performs good, it is just a starting issue sounding like a weak battery?

If so, it is easy to check the charging system with a voltmeter, and battery health too.

Thanks guys i am going to change the spark plugs today and check the fuses to make sure they haven't blown!! cost effective and time saving if all fails i will get back to you all and seek more advice!!

Thanks again

Thanks guys i am going to change the spark plugs today and check the fuses to make sure they haven't blown!! cost effective and time saving if all fails i will get back to you all and seek more advice!!

Thanks again

You can skip checking the fuses - there aren't any!:)

Back