• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are adventure bikes really meant to be flat-footed by anyone?

rtsteve

At 5'9" tall with a 30" inseam, (ok 29.5), I'm aching all over for using muscles I generally don't use that are necessary for riding my new GS. I have to think that in time my body will build muscle to adjust. According to my research the average male height is 5'10" with the inseam length representing 45% of the height or 31.5". So the average adventure bike seems to have a seat height of between 33 and 35 inches. Even the lowest of the lows, a GS Adventure Low model with a low seat in the low position is 31.1 inches. And even then, flat footing is going to be a challenge because of the curve in your legs from straddling. I tell you, if someone had made a video of me trying to saddle up on a standard height GSA it would have made for a good comedy short film.

So my friend is 6'6" tall with a 36" inseam. He gets on my bike with the seat in the highest level and he makes it look like a toy. Flat footing for him is no problem with a slight bend in the knees. But he says he couldn't ride it because when he puts his feet on the pegs his knees are too bent and it would be uncomfortable. Indeed, while riding, his thighs were at a straight 90 degrees from his hips.

So it seems everyone searches for a bike they can flat-foot and no one is building them.

So my friend is 6'6" tall with a 36" inseam. He gets on my bike with the seat in the highest level and he makes it look like a toy. Flat footing for him is no problem with a slight bend in the knees. But he says he couldn't ride it because when he puts his feet on the pegs his knees are too bent and it would be uncomfortable.

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/

I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. On my 2015 R1200GS with the BMW "tall seat" my knee angle, from the above web site, is 83 degrees. I can flat-foot the bike with no problem and the knee angle with that high seat is fine.

Your tall friend, if he had the GS, would benefit from the optional tall seat.

Harry

PS: the pegs can also be lowered, but I have not seen the need to do that.

I'm the same height with the same inseam, but have no problem. Probably being raised on dirt bikes had something to do with it, but flatfooting is highly overrated. I just slide forward to the narrow part of the saddle and either lean the bike or use the toes of one boot.

Pete

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/

I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. On my 2015 R1200GS with the BMW "tall seat" my knee angle, from the above web site, is 83 degrees. I can flat-foot the bike with no problem and the knee angle with that high seat is fine.

Your tall friend, if he had the GS, would benefit from the optional tall seat.

Harry

PS: the pegs can also be lowered, but I have not seen the need to do that.

I hate tall people !!!!!!!!

5'9"height 29" inseam

Lowered GS with lowered seat is perfect!!!!

Lowered GSA with standard seat, high front/low rear works for me (29" inseam, maybe 28"?). Doing low/low gives me the feeling of sliding forward. I put one foot on a peg and flatfoot the other. I don't think it's geometrically possible to have regular footpegs, plenty of cornering clearance, flatfoot ability, and relaxed knee angles (important for people with arthritic knees) all on the same bike.

I agree that flatfooting is overrated at least for a solo rider - no way would I want to carry a passenger when I'm on tiptoes both sides. It pays to know how to remain balanced until I stop, the whole "quick, stick out a foot to catch myself before I fall over" thing is too exciting.

I'm so used to sliding over and reaching down for the ground that I nearly pushed myself over one time when I stopped in a wheel rut and the pavement adjacent to the rut was WAY higher than I expected.

Difference in reach for GS and GSA

I've been playing with that cycle-ergo for a few weeks now and I noticed that at 5'10" on the GS I have a lean forward angle of 5 degrees but on the GSA it's 8 degrees. Is there more to the difference between these bikes than I thought? Must be the seat height.

This thread started as a complaint about knees being too bent on a wethead GS, not about being able to flat-foot a GS.

Nothing wrong with being tall.

Harry

Tip toeing around like a ballerina (sans tutu) at the stop sign or parking lot is just part of the GS image! Learn to enjoy it.

Tip toeing around like a ballerina (sans tutu) at the stop sign or parking lot is just part of the GS image! Learn to enjoy it.

Went riding with friends today and the motorcycle parking area at the western breakfast restaurant was dirt and rocks. No problem pulling in but backing the bike on tip toe, down hill, on loose dirt and small rocks was a little dicey. Found it easier to just get off the bike and walk it out. No problem. I'm adapting, it's a different world this GS and I'm loving it more everyday.

What bike can RTSteve's friend ride?

This thread started as a complaint about knees being too bent on a wethead GS, not about being able to flat-foot a GS.

Harry
Harry, I agree and am wondering what bike is better for a tall person, my GSA is the only bike in the brand that I am comfortable on.

Chris

Harry, I agree and am wondering what bike is better for a tall person, my GSA is the only bike in the brand that I am comfortable on.

Chris

The GSA with standard aluminum cases won't fit in my mudroom, so I got a GS with Vario cases and the "tall seat" option raises the seat height to GSA level.

I just didn't have enough legroom on my old RT, and I hear the new RT's have less legroom. I'm happy with my choice of bike.

Harry

Not by anyone, but by some.

I flat-foot both my R1150 GSA and R1200 GSA LC...and with a bend in my knees and with the seat set to high.

Harry

Not according to the thread title, nor to the majority (actually, all but for one sentence) of the OP's post.''

just sayin'

And the title of the thread makes no sense: of course adventure bikes are not meant to be flat-footed, but so what? I can flat-foot a GSA, but I bought my GS for the legroom, not for the bragging rights of being able to flat-foot it.

Harry

I can flat-foot a GSA, but I bought my GS for the legroom, not for the bragging rights of being able to flat-foot it.

Didn't think the flat footing part was for bragging rights.

I see many riders of various makes and models who can just touch the ground (if it is level) with the tips of their boots. Their business but pretty stupid IMO.

Didn't think the flat footing part was for bragging rights.

I see many riders of various makes and models who can just touch the ground (if it is level) with the tips of their boots. Their business but pretty stupid IMO.

If your opinion was regarded as acceptable, about 90% of the adventure bikes wouldn't be sold. I get the balls of my feet on the ground and I'm fairly certain that represents more than just the average of the riders here. There are very few bikes that are in the factory setup that can be flat footed by the average male, adventure bike or not. Of course, my girl gets on it and can almost flat foot it with her long lovely legs.

I'm 5'9" with 29" inseam. I can flat-foot my GS no problem... with either foot. The other foot stays on the peg. :)

Flat footing is overrated :D

Depends on suspension settings, but can if I need to...as mentioned, one foot is typically on a peg, either covering brake or shifter.
I rarely find a reason to have both firmly on the ground except for the rare times someone is boarding as a passenger.

When off road on uneven surfaces, not many choices to flat foot arise anyways...gravity takes over

If your opinion was regarded as acceptable, about 90% of the adventure bikes wouldn't be sold. I get the balls of my feet on the ground and I'm fairly certain that represents more than just the average of the riders here. There are very few bikes that are in the factory setup that can be flat footed by the average male, adventure bike or not. Of course, my girl gets on it and can almost flat foot it with her long lovely legs.

Annie has a 34 inch inseam and can just about flat foot her standard height F800GS. I can barely get one toe on the ground, which she finds a bit humorous,

Back