• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sidestand on lowered 2016 R1200GS

roofus

I have a lowered 2016 R1200GS.

Even though BMW apparently supplied the bike with a shorter side stand, it is still too long in some situations. For example parking at 45 degrees on the side of a paved road proves impossible in many cases (depending how much the road is crowned) as does parking in some parking lots that are not perfectly level.

My friend has a lowered 2013 R1200R and she has no problem parking in similar situations.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What's the best solution; remove the side stand and shorten it and reinstall?

I don't think BMW forgot to install a lowered version of the sidestand because I am sure the regular length stand would not work at all!

Even though BMW apparently supplied the bike with a shorter side stand, it is still too long in some situations. For example parking at 45 degrees on the side of a paved road proves impossible in many cases (depending how much the road is crowned) as does parking in some parking lots that are not perfectly level.

My friend has a lowered 2013 R1200R and she has no problem parking in similar situations.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What's the best solution; remove the side stand and shorten it and reinstall?

I don't think BMW forgot to install a lowered version of the sidestand because I am sure the regular length stand would not work at all!

Parking lot solution is easy. Face the bike in the opposite direction!

There is a company that adverties in the MOA magazine, a adjustable side stand, might take a look

I checked it out. It appears that their product only offered the option of lengthening the side stand.

All the products I have come across lengthen the leg while I want to shorten it a small amount. It seems my only option is to cut a small section out and reweld it.

Side stand length/2015 GSA Low

I have a 2015 GSA Low and have the same problem. I luv these idiots that say turn the bike around and face the opposite direction. Try doing that on a two lane roadway. This is just another example of BMW not considering the construction of American roads (crowned). I have been looking for a solution for a year and no luck so far, Good luck.

I think that shortening the existing side stand is your best option. The last thing you need is to constantly be worried about you bike falling over. I had my local freelance BMW bike mechanic remove the side stand for my wife's lowered RT and he took it to a welder he knew who cut 3/4" off and welded the base back on. I think he charged $150 to do it and it worked perfectly. The mechanic can better judge just how much needs to be removed for your specific case. You can save a few bucks if you offer to paint the stand yourself. Good Luck!

I have a 2015 GSA Low and have the same problem. I luv these idiots that say turn the bike around and face the opposite direction. Try doing that on a two lane roadway. This is just another example of BMW not considering the construction of American roads (crowned). I have been looking for a solution for a year and no luck so far, Good luck.

Lot of love for all of us idiots:wave Do what's necessary works here.

Why would US road construction ever fall into bike ergo design considerations:scratch

Cutting the stand is the best alternative available.Very easy to get done.

GSAddict modded one with pics on an Oilhead with some thread-all and adjustments possible. You would need to cut out a bigger section to allow lowering as this mod was for the downward lean most 11XX models eventually see to get it back up to a decent lean.
See post #3
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...go-about-fixing/page2&highlight=sidestand+mod

Lot of love for all of us idiots:wave Do what's necessary works here.

Why would US road construction ever fall into bike ergo design considerations:scratch

Cutting the stand is the best alternative available.Very easy to get done.

GSAddict modded one with pics on an Oilhead with some thread-all and adjustments possible. You would need to cut out a bigger section to allow lowering as this mod was for the downward lean most 11XX models eventually see to get it back up to a decent lean.
See post #3
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...go-about-fixing/page2&highlight=sidestand+mod

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone!

It is interesting to note that the problem seems worse on the north-eastern US roads than roads in southeastern Canada. These are the areas where I spend most of my time. Perhaps the road-crown specs are different for NY State vs Ontario???

In any event, I am going to order a BMW "lowered" side stand and I will have my friendly-neighbourhood-welder cut approx 3/4" off of it. If I have removed too much, I can always adjust it with the expanded foot plates by Touratech or others.

I will report back on my journey, but probably not until next spring . . .too much riding to be done now!!!

I'd love to have a shorter sidestand but my legs are too short to push it up if it's too far over (29" inseam, lowered GSA). So I'm careful about where I park, sometimes I even park sideways in parking lots if the spaces go across the grade instead of up and down.

Think about a foot if you shorten the sidestand since you'll be putting more weight on it, it would be inconvenient if the bike took a dirt (or soft asphalt) nap.

Sidestand Angle

It's not only BMW who has problems with side stand geometry. Here are some of the bikes I have owned over the years and the side stand angle issues.

1. 1982 Yamaha Virago - perfect!
2. 2007 Moto Guzzi California - too much lean!
3. 2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio - too upright!
4. 2010 Moto Guzzi Cafe - perfect!
5. 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Special - perfect!
6, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge - too upright!
7. 2013 Ducati Monster - perfect!
8. 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio - too upright!
9. 2013 BMW R1200R (lowered) - perfect!
10. 2014 Norton Commando - too upright!
11. 2016 BMW R1200GS (lowered) -too upright!

This just shows that the brand, model or year doesn't matter as long as the designers are paying attention.

Forget trying to get a side stand enlarger!

Trying to get a side stand enlarger for lowered 2016 is nearly impossible! It seems the lowered bike didn't get a lot of forethought!!

Trying to get a side stand enlarger for lowered 2016 is nearly impossible! It seems the lowered bike didn't get a lot of forethought!!

That's interesting! I haven't tried any "feet enlargers" yet. I was looking ant several from Touratech and Wunderlich at the MOA Rally in Hamburg but I didn't buy. Are you saying that with the shorter length side stand, the expanded side stand foot fouls on the frame when the side stand is flipped up?

AltRider makes one for the 2016 lowered GSA, part number R113-2-1121 (black) or R113-P-1121 (silver). I know because I have a black one one. It adds 1/8" to the sidestand height. I haven't seen any designs for the low suspension that have a pocket for the OEM foot but AltRider basically sandwiches the OEM foot between two plates so the outline of the OEM foot is irrelevant. There's a foot-shaped cutout in the lower plate that isn't quite the same contour as the OEM foot but you can't tell unless it's off the bike. I choose to think of it as a lightening hole :)

Back